Another one bites the dust…

August 28th, 2007 · 31 Comments

Those of us who follow political corruption would have expected Alberto Gonzales’ public behavior to come from a man with close relationships to the Ku Klux Khan, the Aryan Nation, and the extreme right. Of course, the human contradiction that Alberto Gonzales publicly portrays is extreme enough to keep psychologists analyzing him for the next 20 years. The self-hatred (self-loathing) that must brew within him must be truly agonizing when he wakes up in the morning and looks in the mirror and realizes he isn’t Albert Gaines or Bert Sales. I am sure if Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez (District 20, Texas) were alive today Alberto Gonzales would have never climbed onto that federal pedestal and would be back in Texas practicing law at Vinson and Elkins.

Thankfully, today Alberto (aka Fredo or Gonzo) Gonzales has resigned his position as the current architect of the police state being constructed by the Bush Cheney administration. He has authorized criminal behavior as White House counsel and has refused to prosecute that same criminal behavior as Attorney General. He has created and navigated legal avenues for Bush Cheney and their administrations to use torture and indefinite detention based on innuendo and suspicion and now as attorney general, he refused to investigate those programs despite Congressional inquiries in these matters.

Gonzales’ objectivity as far back as George W. Bush’s DUI arrest record, the Texas Clemency and Execution Memos, the Texas Youth Commission scandal, the Warrantless NSA Domestic Eavesdropping Program, the denial of right to Habeas Corpus in the U.S. Constitution, the FBI domestic abuses, and the Dismissal of U.S. Attorneys reveal a man completely committed to the erosion of the civil liberties protections that activists in the 60s fought to preserve. The rule of law seems to be a line that Alberto Gonzales is truly committed to blurring. This man could not have resigned soon enough, but all the repercussions of his actions will certainly be felt in the years to come.

Tags: Alberto Gonzales · FBI · GWB · Henry B. Gonzalez

• 1 MisterR // Aug 28, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Who wrote this? This is so dead on. And why isn’t this being talked about on FOX?

• 2 Bearguez // Aug 28, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Texas produced Henry B. Gonzalez and LBJ. You would’ve thought their example would have given Alberto Gonzales some political direction. This is what happens when the GOP crisscrosses their political values with the character issues of Alberto Gonzales. That combination seems to produce only entitled pond scum.

• 3 Latino Pundit // Aug 28, 2007 at 8:08 pm

FOX, talk about one of their own? Hmph, they are too embarrassed. They much rather feed you on attacking IRAN.

• 4 Aline // Aug 29, 2007 at 6:02 am

Wow.. I LOVE your blog. I will be checking back often. Thank you for the comments on my page…

You’ve been tagged by the way.

• 5 The Kaiser // Aug 30, 2007 at 5:22 am

Who spins your views? You are totally dead on here with “Fredo!” Your commentary is more accurate than anything on Network TV. How can we get this out to the Red States?

• 6 ramon zuniga // Sep 3, 2007 at 6:23 am

“current architect of the police state being constructed by the Bush Cheney administration”

Que barbaro, si este fuera un estado policial no tendrias la libertad de expresarte en este foro.

• 7 Michaelr // Sep 3, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Hey Ramon Zuniga…have you read the provisions of the Patriot Act? Have you read the 9/11 commissions report? Have you followed all the media pertaining to Google’s refusal to share internet data with the FBI, the CIA, and the NSA? News print media revealed Alberto Gonzales forced all the U.S. phone companies to share data on their customers sixteen months ago, so all phone conversations are monitored for key words and phrases. You now can be arrested and held in prison indefinitely without being charged with a crime. What is your interpretation of a police state? Or do you depend on FOX news for all your information?
    The internet is fast becoming the last vehicle where individuals can express dissent openly. You must live in a vacuum to say something like that…in Spanish.

• 8 ramon zuniga // Sep 7, 2007 at 4:11 am

Hey Michaelr:
    When you make statement such as
    “The internet is fast becoming the last vehicle where individuals can express dissent openly” you loose all credibility with me.

Have you not heard of CNN, Air America, try watching Keith Olberman on MSMBC………

Want an example of a police state? Try Cuba
    Want to see one going in that direction? Check out the Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela

• 9 Michaelr // Sep 7, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Hey Ramon:

You’ve probably never been to Cuba…have you? And if you base your information exclusively from television, then you’re just a part of the herd. Open a book.

• 10 ramon zuniga // Sep 8, 2007 at 1:35 am

Michaelr:

I have never been to Cuba. Have you been to Cuba? If you have then consider yourself fortunate to have that US Passport that allowed you to leave that island paradise and come back to this “police state”.

Please tell me which book to open?

Though I have never been to Cuba, my father was there recently. My uncle is also married to a Cuban lady. Her family still lives in Cuba and would very much like to leave but they can’t. So my views of Cuba are not shaped by “televison” but be first hand accounts of what its like there, both the GOOD and the BAD.

If you think its bad under Bush, guess what, he will be out of office soon.. If you don’t like Fidel well then ….te jodiste…(translation you are f’d)

• 11 michaelr // Sep 8, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Ramon:

I go to Cuba quite often. And I go to Venezuela quite regularly too. I do consulting work for the UN.

You should start with James W. Loewen’s “Lies My Teacher Told Me.” Then read Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States.” You should read the 9/11 Commissions Report, but maybe that may be too disheartening for you to absorb. Nevertheless, you should work your way up to Noam Chomsky’s discourses.

You seem pretty small minded, and your paradigm is extremely narrow. You should seek higher education. It can only benefit your thought process and command of the English language.

• 12 ramon zuniga // Sep 8, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Michaelr:

I guess anybody who disagrees with you must have a “pretty small mind”
    or they are just “part of the herd” or maybe they just live “in a vacuum”.

So you do consulting work for the UN. Wow that is really impressive!!!

I recommend you listen to Facundo Cabral
    –un coronel que era realmente un hombre valiente y solo le tenia miedo a los pendejos
    –un dia le pregunte porque y me dijo dijo porque son muchos

You recommend that I work my “way up to Noam Chomsky’s discourses.”

I see you are in GOOD company

From Wikipedia
    “Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez recommended Chomsky’s book”

“Osama bin Laden stated in his September 2007 tape to the American people that Chomsky is one of “the most capable on your side…

End of discussion, enough said

Adios pendejo

• 13 webmaster // Sep 9, 2007 at 2:09 am

Hi Ramon,

I hope that you do continue to join in the discussion. Maybe I could draw your attention to some of the more recent posts. The goal of this board is to create dialogue, and all opinions are welcome.

Regarding this discussion, I notice that you focus on only the Chomsky literature. I have read “Lies My Teacher told me” and Howard Zinn’s “People’s History of the United States.” You should consider reading those, even if you never pick up the Chomsky. If you look at the reviews of both of these works on Amazon.com, you will notice an overwhelming positive response. These are positively reviewed and well received.

It doesn’t hurt to read Chomsky. I have read many authors who I don’t agree with just to gain some insight. For instance, I have read Samuel Huntington and Bill Bennett.

• 14 The Kaiser // Sep 11, 2007 at 1:29 am

Hey Michaelr:

You shouldn’t waste your breath communicating with retards like Ramon Zuniga. Anyone dumb enough to demonize Noam Chomsky because Osama reads his books shouldn’t be allowed to vote. People like Ramon are the reason we have no political clout. I bet he has never even read Doctor Seus. HA!

• 15 SmileySmiley // Sep 11, 2007 at 1:38 am

Oye Ramon Zuniga; Quit being so ignorant with your FOX news telecast. Free your mind and stop looking at the world in black and white. You embarrass me with your stupidity.

• 16 Leslie // Sep 19, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Oh Goodness here we go again. I am married to a black man, we have two children. Some of the most racist horrible things I have heard tirected to myself and my family are from fellow latinos. Self Hatred is alive and well in america – we are taught form birth to emulate and embrace our European heritage and deny anything native and africian. What saddens me Neo cons like Foxy and Ilk see us all the same. Not White, not belonging. Believe me they love ALbert Gonzalezs.
    Now anyone who really beleives America is free and not policed seriously needs to turn to BBC and see the real news on Iraq. Bush has been allowed to roam free and damage our country our goverment which our grandchildren will still be fixing.

• 17 Michaelr // Sep 20, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Thank you Leslie for opening your eyes, and understanding what you are hearing. Network television and most of the printed media in the U.S. is now guilty of promoting mass propaganda to maintain the Status Quo. One trip abroad will tell you how many lies are fed to us everyday through our media. Its not enough that corporate america slowly kills us with fast food, overwork, and lower wages. Now they also want to poison our minds.

• 18 Daniel // Oct 17, 2007 at 5:27 pm

I have to say, that I could not agree with you in 100% regarding , but it’s just my opinion, which could be wrong :)

• 19 Dr. Rusty Filero // Nov 7, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Just one word of wisdom. Don’t back him up because he/she is Latino. Remember the National Council of Las Ratas (NCLR) did a national campaign to support Alberto. This year the NCLR is now pushing let’s bomb Iran, Cuba and Venezuela Hillary Clinton. Remember her husband was the one that pushed NAFTA. As a result the Mexican economy falls apart in 1994 and millions of rural Mexicans are forced to leave their towns and immigrate to United States of Amnesia.

• 20 Irma // Jun 18, 2008 at 8:22 am

Albert Gonzales is what my mother used to call
    “un mexicano prieto que no quiere ser.” He allied
    himself with what he thought would advance him socially and professionally without any regard for the MORALITY of his actions. What a stupid waste of his life . He could have done so much, instead he chose to be be the guy who did dirty work for George W. Bush.

I was a student a Rice when he was there.
    Glad we never met……….

• 21 Bearguez // Jun 18, 2008 at 1:28 pm

What do you expect from a man who loathes what he is? And the sad thing is there are millions of Latinos in the United States, who conduct themselves professionally in the same exact way.

• 22 Irma // Jun 18, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Noam Chomsky ? Por favor, he is the Jewish
    version of Alberto Gonzalez. Neither is comfortable with who they are.

• 23 Michaelr // Jun 19, 2008 at 12:21 am

Are you talking about MIT’s Noam Chomsky? Because if you are, you have just said something extremely ignorant. Just comparing him to Alberto Gonzalez killed your statement.

• 24 Irma // Jun 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm

My friends in the Jewish community educated me about Noam Chomsky……… This is their characterization , I defer to their expertise on this matter.

• 25 webmaster // Jun 19, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I would like to think that Noam Chomsky is more accomplished and intelligent than Alberto Gonzales. It isn’t a good comparison. From what I have read, Chomsky seems to seek the truth, whereas Alberto Gonzales wants to cover it up.

If I’m not mistaken, I think Chomsky even speaks Yiddish. It wouldn’t hurt to actually read some of his work instead of taking others’ opinions about him and his identity as fact.

• 26 Irma // Jun 20, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I dont know if it is truth that Noam Chomsky seeks.
    I read an interview just now where he stated the the Jews are not the indigenous people of modern day Israel. He must have fallen asleep in Hebrew School. Even I learned in Catechism class, that God gave the Jews that land after the Exodus from Egypt . That is thought to be over 3000 years ago. Noam knows this and so do all
    Christians.

Just today, Noam wrote in Salon ( I think) that
    Obama has backed off on his position regarding
    Israel. He was, I suppose , upset because Obama said Jerusalem should never be divided.
    This is of course the mainstream Jewish position
    for historical reasons again. King David and
    Solomon built their temples there. The Ark was
    supposedly in Solomon’s temple. Noam
    knows this – it is odd that he like most Jews would not make a historical claim to that city.

Noam Chomsky seems ethnically conflicted , I think Alberto Gonzales is too. This is the basis
    for my analogy.

• 27 webmaster // Jun 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Irma, the bible, both the new and old testament, has been written and re-written over the years so many times that I wouldn’t take it to be the “truth.” C’mon, being a scientist, I wouldn’t figure you to believe everything in Catechism or everything that any religous person claims to be accurate.

I would imagine that there are some Jews who doubt the story of King David, just as there are Catholics who question the immaculate conception and the whole story of Christ. Why do all Jews have to believe the conventional story of King David?

• 28 Irma // Jun 20, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Web master – my point was that some cultures
    like Jews, took the trouble to preserve their heritage. The old testament today ( Hebrew version) is identical to what it was 2000 years ago based on comparisons of modern day text to the Dead Sea scrolls which have been carbon dated. That is why Hebrew as a language survived -religious persecution can be a powerful motivator. Our people need something equally as powerful to unite us.

I live on the East Coast- lots of Jews here.
    Maybe they dont all take the story of King David
    literally but the Temple of Solomon is a fact.
    Have you seen the Western wall ? That is all that is left – the whole thing must have been huge. Even non-religious Jews point to the
    Western wall as physical evidence that their
    community has been in that part of the world
    for thousands of years. Many point out that they never would have left if the Roman empire has not fallen into chaos.

Being a scientist has not managed to put a major dent in my religious beliefs. There is nothing in the biblical version of creation that isnt just a poetic description of how creation actually occurred-ie. gradually.

What a lot of people dont realize is that the old Testament is actually more of a geneology of
    lots of Jewish families. No, Abraham didnt live to be 600 or what ever it was – but my guess is that he lived to be an old man. That was unusual in those days. I do happen to believe in the story of Exodus at least in the major details,
    slavery in Egypt, the Exodus and yes that the Jews settled in modern day Israel over 3000 years ago. They believe God gave it to them -
    so do I. Have you ever been to a Seder, the annual Jewish holiday retelling the story of the Exodus ? They have been doing this since this time of Jesus – that is what the last supper
    was – a Seder. He was in in Jerusalem for the holiday. That was 2000 years ago. Each year
    the Seder ends with the chant ” next year in Jerusalem. ” 2000 years of saying that convinces me that yes they do have a claim to that particular part of the earth. I have always been astounded how a people could mourn for their land for thousands of years. Did anyone mourn the Maya ? Our people need such a beacon to keep our culture intact as well.

• 29 Michaelr // Jun 20, 2008 at 4:29 pm

For someone who claims to be all-knowing because her Catechism instructor said this, and her Jewish friends confer that, all that money you spent on higher education should at least tell you that resorting to petty gossip and the fiction preached on network television should be your last resort in expressing your views on a worldwide forum. From your comments, its obvious you’ve never been to Israel, never read any Biblical history, studied the Torah, or have even read the Old Testament.
    The Jews aren’t indigenous to modern day Israel. They’re one of twelve tribes that Joshua from the Tribe of Dan united in their genocidal conquest of the land of Canaan (modern-day Israel). And even that is not historical fact. But for Old Testament mythology that is the story. And God did not give the land now known as Israel to the Jews. He promised Abraham, who is from the City of Ur, in modern day Iraq that his descendants shall have this land as long as they worship Yahweh. Yahweh is the Old Testament God who appeared to Moses on Mount Sinai. Abraham is the father of both the Israelites (Jews, and eleven other tribes) and the Arabs, (thirteen different tribes). Any Rabbi will tell you this. Obviously, you don’t know the role Jewish women play in Hebraic studies. And this is probably why you spout this Jerry Falwell version of the Old Testament and mix it with the gossip of your friends.
    When I see Noam Chomsky on the 27th of this month, I will ask him if he fell asleep in Hebrew class, and is ethnically conflicted.

• 30 Michaelr // Jun 20, 2008 at 4:44 pm

The Wailing Wall (Western Wall) is not a part of Solomon’s temple. The Western Wall acts as a retaining wall for all the renovations Herod the Great made to the Temple Mount when he rebuilt Solomon’s temple around 19 B.C. The Dome of the Rock now sits on top of Solomon’s temple.

• 31 Irma // Jun 21, 2008 at 9:58 am

Michael R,
    I have been to Israel. I saw a plan of what the Temple complex looked like. I got an explanation about how the western wall fit into the plan. That was 15 years ago – dont remember all the details too well. The Temple Mount was built right over where The Ark
    was supposed to be.
    I have been there too.
    I was told that the Temple Complex was huge – much larger than the Temple Mount. It reminded me a bit of the layout of Teotihuacan- there was one central area sort of connected to other associated smaller areas. For Jews, the whole place is sacred. They have excavated below ground level of the Western wall. You can see the size of the stones – they are beautifully preserved and are huge.

By the way, I AM a Jew
    who started out a Catholic like most Mexicans. I know lots of rabbis, who you do think guided me in Judaic studies? You have a few facts mixed up regarding Judaism.
    Jewish scholars would, I think say Abraham came from Iran. Personally, it doesnt
    matter to me .

I have never heard Noam Chomsky lecture, but I heard that he tends to ramble in an erudite manner. Hence, the ability to attract an audience. Look, Alan Dershowitz down the street at the other school doesnt agree with him on Israel at all.
    So they cancel each other out on that issue. My point is that Chomsky’s views on Israel are not mainstream in the Jewish community.

And by the way, I am really confused as to why you keep accusing me of being arrogant.
    I dont generally discuss anything unless I have
    read about it and have some personal experience as well. To rely on only written information is a bit limiting. I am not arrogant and like you,
    I am entitled to have an opinion.