Fabian “High-roller” Nuñez travels in style

October 5th, 2007 · 22 Comments

It looks like Fabian Nuñez has been living it up, but he insists that there isn’t a big difference between how he and most middle class people live. Uh, office expenses at Vuitton, Williams-Sonoma, Nordstrom, and other high end clothiers? High end travel lodgings and trips to Europe? Maybe he has more successful middle class friends than I do. I completely understand the need to look nice, travel in comfort, and equip your office and staff with the tools to do their job, but I don’t think that purchases at luxury retailers are warranted. Fabian is an assemblyman, not a head of state of some fiefdom. And then we wonder where are our leaders are and what they are doing?! And I realize that he’s using campaign funds, but maybe the donors will rethink next time they are asked to bust open their checkbooks. I don’t think that I would be so eager to donate to his campaign.

His spending habits are very nuevo rico. Sure, it is nice that he has arrived and has access to all of these great things, but there’s no need to flaunt it and throw it around, especially when your job is to serve the public.

Tags: Fabian Núñez

• 1 Michaelr // Oct 5, 2007 at 9:40 pm

I am not surprised. Three minutes of conversation with Fabian Nunez will reveal that his idea of civil/public service is all very self-serving. It is always discouraging to see how our elected officials abuse their office, flaunt their authority, and easily forget who put them there. I have to remind myself that Henry B. Gonzalez was Latino, and his Congressional legacy is legendary in its scope and service towards the public he represented. It’s too bad Latino politicians don’t see Henry B. Gonzalez as a role model. Think of all the hope and accomplishment that would inspire.

• 2 Bearguez // Oct 5, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Just another opportunist in a Hickey-Freeman suit.

• 3 The Kaiser // Oct 5, 2007 at 9:47 pm

You mean just another opportunist in a seer sucker suit with a Third World mentality.

• 4 Bearguez // Oct 5, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Are you saying he’s actually from Mexico?

• 5 The Kaiser // Oct 5, 2007 at 10:31 pm

He’s apparently born in San Diego, but spent the first eight years of his life in Tijuana, so that whole PRI, social caste, self-serving Third World aristocracy mentality is engrained into his thinking. It’s funny because he was educated at Pomona-Pitzer in Claremont. They’re not known for turning out self-catering high brow Latino snobs. You usually have to go to Mexico to find those.

• 6 Bearguez // Oct 5, 2007 at 10:45 pm

So basically this speaker of the assembly is just going to fill his financial pockets, bleed the taxpayer with his trips abroad, and compete with Antonio V on how many women they can sleep with while in office? After all, they both shared that same newscaster from Channel 52. Is that what you’re saying?

• 7 The Kaiser // Oct 5, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Yup…he certainly is not anything resembling the great Henry B. Gonzalez. He’s more like Bill Clinton without the brains, and certainly not the vision. His mentality is closer to Loretta Sanchez. He wants to spend the time she does at the Playboy mansion.

• 8 leesee // Oct 6, 2007 at 4:01 am

I can’t tell you how depressing this is, and so true. Further, practically every politician that has come out of San Diego and environs has been corrupt or at least has been caught doing pendejadas.
    Rare is the Latino politician who remains pristine, what is it? Is it the I’ll get mine and fuck everyone else?
    It is a third world mentality, like African despots who pillage their own constituency.
    Anyway, I’m sick of career politicians they’re worse than whores. In fact whores would be insulted and I can’t say I blame them.
    Perhaps I’m in a delusional spin here but I expect better from the Latinos who represent us, clearly I’m so wrong. The sting is more painful when my own gente are caught fucking around, because clearly and unfortunatly it has a bearing on the rest of us.

• 9 reenee // Oct 6, 2007 at 4:23 am

Perhaps this guy wants to be the gobernador some day. Or perhaps a presidential lapdog like that other menso. In order to get the backing that he’ll need for either of those lofty goals, he’ll have to lick a lit of huevos, and to do that in politics you have to dress nicely.

• 10 webmaster // Oct 7, 2007 at 3:04 am

I did a little digging out in blogsphere, and I found this story:

It looks like he has a history of extravagant spending. Me thinks Fabian has a bit of little man syndrome, in that he has to compensate for his weaknesses in other areas by throwing around $.

I agree leesee, it burns much more when Latino politicians pull this shit. Why can’t he wait until he’s out of office and working as a “consultant” or “lobbyist” to do all of this? I have met people who are probably worth more $, and yet they proceed with much caution when it comes to revealing their worth.

While we’re on this topic, Fabian doesn’t come across well on camera. He has a smarmy smirk, kind of like GWB, leading me to believe that he’s getting one over on us.

• 11 Michaelr // Oct 7, 2007 at 3:12 am

And you wonder about all the stereotypes…couldn’t the unions finance someone with a little more brains?

• 12 dday // Oct 7, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Let me clarify the post that webmaster linked to upthread. It was posted on April 1, because it’s a satire. But the context behind it definitely buttresses this argument.

Last year Nuñez pushed through a cable franchising bill that significantly helped AT&T. The day after the 2006 election, the California Democratic Party wrote a $4 million dollar check to Nuñez’ campaign kitty (why they had four million to give after trying to get out the vote is a mystery). AT&T gave millions in unlimited contributions to the party throughout the year. So the check to Nuñez was legitimately seen as a laundered contribution from AT&T in exchange for getting that cable franchising bill passed. So my joke post was that he was using that $4 million to get all kinds of AT&T goodies. You get the point.

The larger point is that Nuñez has been getting these lavish junkets and spending this big-time campaign money for years. And it’s largely coming from companies that have business before the state. Classic political corruption.

• 13 rico // Oct 7, 2007 at 9:55 pm

The high point of arrogance in politics! Why do they so easily think they are above the rest of the world? Its the easiest yet most complex achilles heel of Latinos in office. Sure Americanos do the same but they are white so Fabian and the rest you have to remember you are not white so you are expected by tere goeshem and us to live to higher standards.
    There goes your term limits scam! and can the return of the republicans be far behind? If they could stop hating Latinos for a minute you and Perata give them lots of ammunition.
    You unlike Arnold, may not be back, for long!
    Rico de PH

• 14 webmaster // Oct 8, 2007 at 4:49 am

dday, thank you for that clarification. I had a feeling that your post was a satire because you didn’t site any news sources, but too bad that your story isn’t far from the truth.

rico, thanks for joining in the discussion. Unfortunately, the level of scrutiny for our highfalutin Fabian will be heightened precisely because he is not white. He and his friend Antonio Villarsalinas seem to be oblivious to this fact.

• 15 XP // Oct 8, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Michael – it is bad enough not having Latino politicians look to Henry B. Gonzalez as a role model, but what is worse, his own son is not following in his father’s footsteps.

As for Fabian, I guess it was to be expected since he is Hilary Clinton’s national campaign co-chair. We all know she is bringing in the big bucks in fund raising. I wonder how much her campaign is paying him.

• 16 webmaster // Oct 8, 2007 at 4:13 pm

XP, I have heard the same re: Henry B. Gonzalez’s son. How sad that his son Charlie doesn’t want to make any waves or live up to his father’s legacy.

Fabian is a big opportunist. It seems that he’s only in the game for himself.

• 17 Michaelr // Oct 8, 2007 at 5:46 pm

XP…if not for Henry B. Gonzalez, and Gloria Molina (Los Angeles County Supervisor, 1st District) to some degree, I would think Latino culture in general has something to do with the corruptive nature of current Latino politicians. Fabian Nunez, and in many cases U.S. Congressional representative Loretta Sanchez represent this slimy underbelly of self-serving U.S. politicians. I’m convinced lobbyists fund these types of people because they are so greedy, they have absolutely no shed of idealism running through their veins. And because of their greed they are far easier to control because they are no threat to the status quo. Fabian Nunez’s behavior has all the markings of a low level confidence man. He has prostituted himself to AT&T and Chevron, and has no shame flaunting that relationship to his public. I don’t even want to start in on Loretta. Forty million of us in the United States, and look at the quality of people we have representing us.

• 18 cindylu // Oct 9, 2007 at 6:24 am

Nuñez got called out by undocumented students lobbying in favor of the California Dream Act. They said he wanted to kill the bill which is sponsored by Gil Cedillo. He mentioned this when he spoke to students a few weeks ago at the UC Regents meeting at UC Davis (nouveau riche suit?).

• 19 Bearguez // Oct 9, 2007 at 4:42 pm

Where are our leaders? Why do we put up with sleazy bagmen like Fabian Nunez? Why do we elect people with such questionable characters? And you wonder why we are at the bottom of the food chain.

• 20 webmaster // Oct 9, 2007 at 4:57 pm

I think our leaders are blogging :).

Or maybe there are all at the Latino Congreso this week:

I agree that we are lacking in leadership, but I’m even more bothered that the “leaders” we do have don’t care to “lead by example.”

• 21 Michaelr // Oct 9, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Most of our Latino leaders, Fabian Nunez in particular, along with Loretta Sanchez and even Working Joe Baca seem to have delusions we live in a monarchy, and they are a recognized part of the aristocracy. Fabian Nunez has already spent enough of our tax dollars parading around the world, seeking status and advertising his bagman services. Remember him come election time.

• 22 Marco Rubio’s Spending Spree! Whee! // Feb 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm

[…] been guilty of this kind of spending. We have seen this in California with former assembly speaker Fabian Nuñez spending campaign cash on French wine and Louis Vuitton. This kind of expending should not be […]