Mel Martinez, the GOP’s highest ranking Latino official, resigns on Friday

October 20th, 2007 · 10 Comments

Florida Senator Mel Martinez has left his position as general chairman of the Republican National Committee. He did not mention the immigration issue specifically as his reason for leaving, but he had recently expressed frustration and disappointment in the tone of the immigration debate as it is playing out in his party. Martinez has warned his party members that utilizing harsh anti-immigration ads and rhetoric would turn off the country’s fastest growing block of voters. Key Republicans in congress killed the Bush administration’s plans to create a path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants.

We have addressed the unwelcoming stance that Republicans have toward Latinos in general on this blog. This is nothing new, but it seems that the anti-immigration rhetoric has been heightened to a level to where even conservatives like Mel Martinez aren’t comfortable with hostility being served in the GOP kitchen.

Tags: GOP · GWB · Immigration · Sen. Mel Martinez

• 1 Michaelr // Oct 20, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Forty plus years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, and racism is still a vibrant part of American society.

• 2 reenee // Oct 20, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Maybe they can appoint the pipsqueak. He’s no longer busy stinking up the Justice Department so he has lots of time on his hands.

• 3 Frank // Oct 21, 2007 at 5:04 am

How are the Republicans anti-Latino? What anti-immigrant rhetoric? I know of none. The Republicans are backing the rule of law and that means they oppose immigrants coming here illegally. How is that wrong and how is that being anti-immigrant? Why do Republicans have to be pro-illegal to gain the Latino vote?

• 4 Art Pedroza // Oct 21, 2007 at 9:35 am

Frank,

Give me a break! Are you serious? I quit the OC GOP Central Committee this year when it dawned upon me that most of my peers were Mexican haters. I spent a lifetime in the GOP…running races, volunteering, working my a** off. But this party has become the party of Mexican haters.

I salute Senator Martinez for coming to his senses. His party does not deserve him!

• 5 webmaster // Oct 21, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Frank, Republicans don’t have to be pro-illegal to gain the Latino vote. Didn’t you understand the article on Hillary Clinton, who is not pro-illegal, but seems to have gathered some substantial Latino support?

If Republicans really backed the rule of law, then they wouldn’t seek to break international law in Iraq or in Guantanamo prison. What about those Republican supporting businesses like Wal-Mart who hire illegal immigrants without regard for the law? Wake up and smell the stink that Reenee referenced in the Justice Department.

Many Republicans oppose any kind of immigration, even that which is legal or seeks to legalize those who are here illegally, which is why Bush’s immigration proposals didn’t move forward with those in his party.

• 6 Frank // Oct 21, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Art, I am sorry but i don’t believe you. Are you saying that the Repubs are Mexican haters just because they oppose illegal immigration? That is ridiculous.

Web, not all Republicans are the same just as not all Democrats are the same. There are radicals in both parties and among our average American citizens too.

It isn’t true that many Republicans oppose any kind of immigration. Some want a moritorium on immigration for awhile or they want it cut back because of our growing population and the lack of natural resources and social infrasture it takes to support more than 300 million people. I understand why some don’t want to legalize illegal aliens too. We went thru this in 1986 and all it did was encourage more illegal immigration.

The thing I don’t understand is why the majority of Hispanics in this country are on the opposite side of the issue of the rest of the Americans in this country. It raises a flag to me and others like me who are for the rule of law.

• 7 EYES OF TEXAS // Oct 22, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Yes Frank, until the true meaning of “illegal alien” sinks through the thick skulls of those that support them, you and I will be called haters, racists, bigots, KKK, Aryan Brotherhood and any other name to cover the fact that all we are asking is for laws to be enforced.

Websters: 1. illegal- Prohibited by law or by official or accepted rules.
    2. alien- A person who comes from a foreign country or
    someone who does not owe allegiance to your country
    or anyone who does not belong in the environment
    in which they are found.
    Not so hard to understand now that is says nothing about race, color, religion or anything else to put a label on me.

It’s only human survival for criminals to want laws or rules changed to their benefit. A bank robber wants his crime to be making an unauthorized withdrawal or a car jacker to want to be considered as borrowing a car because of a personal emergency. But, someone that supports enforcement of the laws gets a negative label slapped on them. This issue will not be resolved on any blog, only changes in Washington D.C. will
    do it.

• 8 Oscar // Oct 22, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Art, you are correct, the Republican party tend to be one sided, and their subtle views and policies tend to be of anti-immigration, non compassionate, and discriminatory toward the Latino population and other minorities. Republicans tend to use the jargon of breaking laws and scare resources to down play their down right inhumane views and actions towards certain groups. Their views on our current immigration issues seem suspect and similar to our civil rights challenges we have faced and currently face. Frank, you’re smooth in your jargon but I smell anti-immigration in your written views and comments. What is interesting is that Republicans use their compassion jargon and family values jargon to win favor of our American population. Yet they are quick to separate and destroy immigrant families, who enrich our lives. This is down right wrong!!!!

Republicans do not represent all Americans, especially our hard working lower class who contribute so much to our society. They have this scared fear of people in our lower class neighborhoods/communities and therefore make their own judgments and assumptions. Minority Republican representatives tend to be those that are used as media puppets for the benefit of the special interest and those who are always clawing for resources.

I believe Bush was correct, did I just say Bush was correct? When he presented his bill for a pathway to citizenship of our immigrant population, especially our immigrant population who are law abiding, tax paying, consumers, who keep the U.S economy from breaking. If immigrants have broken the law then we Americans have broken the law also by hiring them!! Frank, I know you dislike when I say this but this is the truth!! Frank and EOT, I understand your type. You can’t go after the rich and protected “white collar criminals”, so you blatantly pursue the poor, uneducated, and those who can’t defend themselves. EOT, as an American I welcome this debate in D.C. Deep in my soul, I know justice and equality will prevail for those who cannot defend themselves, as it did during the civil rights movement. I’m very aware of your type and your jargon and views don’t fool me :)

• 9 Frank // Oct 22, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Oscar, the Democrats are also one-sided in their views. That is why there are two parties. Two different sets of views and both adhering to them. No, no, no the Repubs are not anti-immigration, they are anti-illegal alien. Why do pro-illegals always spin the truth? How do they discriminate against Latinos or minorities?

Using the rule of law and uncontrolled popuation growth are legitimte reasons for being opposed to illegal immgration. They aren’t just lame excuses. I am not anti-legal immigration in reasonable numbers but I certainly am opposed to illegal immigration and rightly so!

The Repubs are not separating immigrant families. They are for the rule of law and that means we have to deport illegal aliens. The illegal aliens themselves many times separate from their own families in Mexico to come here. If they get deported and they have family with them here, they can go back to Mexico or wherever with those families. Nobody is stopping them. Stop blaming the Repubs and our government for this. It is the illegals fault.

Stop blaming your everyday American citizen who did not encourage illegal aliens into our country but are having to pay their healthtcare, education and other social costs. It is the fault of our government, employers and the illegals. We regular Americans want this to stop! We are blaming all three, not just the illegals.

Stop calling them immigrants, they are not! And stop comparing this to the civil rights movement. It isn’t remotely the same. Blacks who were discriminated against were citizens, they were not illegal aliens. Start feeling some sympathy for your fellow American citizens rather than illegal foreigners whom I assume are ethnically like you. That is just plain un-American and racist.

• 10 EYES OF TEXAS // Oct 23, 2007 at 7:01 am

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be……well you know the rest. Illegal alien is not a dirty word, but a true and honest description of people who have entered our country without proper documentation or permission, for whatever reason. What do you think would happen to me if I entered another country without any type of documentation or proper identification? I’ll tell you, it would not take long to be apprehended or possibly even shot to death by those assigned to enforce their laws. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that should be the case in our country, but the laws must be enforced and our borders must be respected. Not that it will matter to most on this blog, but I am currently dating, and will probably marry, a woman from Viet Nam. The point, it took her nine years to get into this country as a legal citizen from the time she filled out the first piece of paperwork until she set foot in California. She did it the rigt way and I consider her to be as American as I am. What has been said before, the blame for illegal immigartion can be spread around to a lot of prople and conditions, but it does not change the fact that it is against the law. I foresee a socialist America in the future and I do not want to be alive when that day comes. I do feel sorry for my children and grandchildren that my generation did not do enough to protect the America that I grew up in.