Villaraigosa campaigning for Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire. Don’t the Clintons have enough “personal issue” baggage?

January 6th, 2008 · 7 Comments

As Los Angeles gets hit with rain storms this weekend, Mayor Villaraigosa is in New Hampshire campaigning for Hillary Clinton. Mr. Pothole fixer himself leaves his city to go “help” Hillary. Villaraigosa is one of Clinton‘s campaign chairs, but in light of his recent personal affair and local shortcomings, I wonder why the Clinton campaign insists on bringing him along for the ride. Do her strategists really think that he’s going to resonate with the people of New Hampshire? We are talking about a state with a 96% white population. I’m not suggesting that one has to be a member of an ethnic minority group to identify with Antonio Villaraigosa, but I do think that an overwhelmingly white state would not be as forgiving of his character issues. I think that Hillary Clinton has enough personal and character issues to overcome, relating to her own husband’s infidelities and her “likeability” factor. In a way, I think that Villaraigosa reminds people of Bill Clinton’s affairs. Both are charismatic and have reputations as philanderers to the point of distracting from their accomplishments.

I wish that Mayor Villaraigosa would put presidential campaigning on the back burner for at least a month or two and concentrate on his agenda in Los Angeles. He will have plenty of opportunities to campaign this year. Concentrating on his policy agenda will be better for his own career, and it will lend more credibility to the Clinton campaign assuming she’s still in the race.

Tags: Antonio Villaraigosa · Hillary Clinton · Presidential Elections

• 1 The Kaiser // Jan 7, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Villaraigosa must really believe his constituents don’t notice these things. The city of Los Angeles doesn’t run itself, but there must be a glut of local politicians in L.A. who abuse their elected positions on a regular basis, since no one points the finger at each other. The City Attorney is a good example of someone who has abused his elected position. Why do we tolerate this behavior? It’s bad enough they do incredibly stupid things, and expect the taxpayer to always foot the bill. Where is the best and the brightest?

• 2 Emilio // Jan 9, 2008 at 4:32 pm

It’s the perfect team. Ones a cheater, and the other is married to one.

• 3 Michaelr // Jan 10, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Be that as it may, the complaint is Antonio Villaraigosa has a time consuming job as the mayor of Los Angeles. The LAUSD is still a mess, public transportation is still limited in its ability to fully service commuters, and there are still a lot of potholes. Hillary Clinton doesn’t need the Mayor campaigning for her. He’s a public servant, earning a salary equivalent to a Fortune 500 executive with all the perks. He has an obligation. The last thing he needs is to be further compared to Fabian Nunez, who is also over there with Hillary… probably still sipping all that French wine the taxpayers bought for him.

• 4 Ron Waldron // Jan 14, 2008 at 4:26 pm

OBAMA 4 PRESIDENT:

Our Foreign Policy is the core of distruction of all
    other issues facing America.
    Who, What, Where, When & Why–Wake-up !!
    Order & Read FINAL-REPORT.ID# 49149.

:http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=49149

• 5 Ron Waldron // Jan 14, 2008 at 4:31 pm

SENATOR CLINTON, WHO TALKS ABOUT

EXPERIENCE AND DECISIONS, HAS FOR

8 years been lead by the nose by other

senators, representative senators for AIPAC,

and Israeli interest. Our complete failure, on foreign

policy and the Middle East Quagmire of

killing and immorality.

• 6 Dx // Jan 28, 2008 at 9:41 pm

CNN reported, Kennedy called Bill and didn’t get what he wanted. Then today endorsed Obama…Isn’t that the kind of change we are trying to avoid in this election. The old backroom deals, CNN said Kennedy got very angry by the end of the call. I guess Kennedy’s change was to find a new deal with Obama. Now that is truly change. Thank you CNN for finding the facts for us. Kennedy’s are losing there influence since the passing of JFK Jr and that was a sad day for America and The Kennedy’s.

• 7 Peter // Mar 16, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I like the Word Suicide 3-16-08
    Peter Macdonald 465 Packersfalls rd Lee NH 03824 603-659-6217 NH.veteran@yahoo.com
    I first want to apologize I have been using the wrong date on my past few letters.
    So many of the right people in the right gov. agencies read my letters yet they do nothing. These so called right officials are so set on believing that I am a nut and paranoid, that they ignore what I write and condemn me. I have serious disabilities that I received while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps. The NH governor and Judges have so violated the law that using the news media to strip a disabled Veteran of any public dignity, so the public has stereotyped me crazy. Yes you are probably right. I do see the world differently than others. Some thirty years after receiving a head injury in the MC, I still have no memory of my child hood. I broke my back during one Vietnam offensive and was blown off a runway and lost most of my hearing in both ears during another offensive. I learned to love the United States of America because I lived in some of the dirtiest, crude and deadliest conditions before I have any memory of seeing the U.S. I came back to the “World” (US) to a place that I do not belong. Never have I violated the law on purpose. I have volunteered every day to help others just the make the U.S. a better place. I owe this to those that never returned alive.
    A criminal is someone whom violates the law with intent to harm others. Judge Peter Fauver did just that. The NH Supreme court is so biased that it refused to hear a case presented by a high school drop out. Fauver made me and attorney to represent a Madbury NH family for a zoning issue because Fauver thought it would allow him to screw this family to benefit the selectmen’s criminal acts. I proved the case beyond any doubt and Fauver ignored the law to harm others. A judge is not above the opinion of the people or the law. The State and local police under the direction of the NH governor and the Sheriff’s dept harass my family at work and home to cover up crimes committed by a judge. For the system to allow a U.S. congresswoman (Shea-Porter) to use her political powers to medically harm me is beyond any belief. For the Inspector General of the NH Veteran’s admin in Manchester. NH to stop my VA medical for service injuries received as a U.S. Marine (two of the three Combat related) can not be tolerated. I write these letters because it is every U.S. citizen’s responsibility to correct the wrongs in government. I may be crazy to put my live on the line for our country. That would make every U.S. military personal crazy also. The right people that do nothing but sit idle and allow the NH Judges and government official to harm a disabled veteran are not bad people. These right people are just believing what powerful people tell them. I tell every news paper in the U.S. to print my letter with a disclaimer and allow me to suffer the consequences. The unedited opinion of the people is the most important part of the news media’s ethical responsibility. I think as a 100% disabled U.S. Marine I have earned the right to have this letter printed across the U.S. unedited. “truth is a powerful weapon”
    Peter Macdonald Sgt USMC Semper