Obama takes South Carolina and gets an important endorsement from Caroline Kennedy.

January 26th, 2008 · 6 Comments

Obama 55%, Clinton 27%, Edwards 18%

Caroline Kennedy also threw her support behind Obama in moving op-ed piece in the NY Times. This might have some traction with Latinos. It isn’t uncommon to find pictures of JFK in Mexican-American homes, often placed next to a sketch of Christ or a photograph of the Pope. At the end of her piece, she states, “I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.” I think that the Clinton administration was inspirational to a degree, but then we became distracted when the Republicans took back the house and with the Lewinsky scandal. There is something to be said for someone who can inspire action because we aren’t going to get out of the mess that the present administration is leaving behind without a committed core of people willing to work for change.

Tags: Barack Obama · Hillary Clinton · JFK · John Edwards · Kennedys · Presidential Elections

• 1 HispanicPundit // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I must admit, even as a rightie, the more I see of Obama the more I like him.

• 2 Ann Marie // Jan 27, 2008 at 9:50 am

This is a letter I wrote to my local newspaper and I write to you today.

To whom it may concern,

At a critical point in history, it is evident that the elected Democratic Candidate be ONE of substance, ONE of integrity, ONE of impeccable character and ONE whom can unite our country.

Many may discount how one is able to inspire and lead effectively or call ONE inexperience, or worse bring in racial overtones. This is not acceptable nor will be tolerated by many of us who plan on voting, now in the primary caucus and again come November, 2008.

Our country is desperately looking for change and unity! Barack is known for his ability and fortitude to bring about both change and unity. Therefore, he is the right candidate for the Democratic party and the United States of America!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Ann Marie

• 3 Manuel A. Tellechea // Jan 27, 2008 at 10:41 am

A President Like Her Daddy

The Princess Royal of the Kennedy clan, who has herself accomplished nothing in life except being born to wealth and privilege, has draped her father’s moth-eaten cloak on Barack Obama, who, in her father’s White House, would have been a footman or cook. Say what you will about Obama, he got there himself without the benefit of a rich daddy or corrupt political machine. He may be more unprepared to be president and more disastrous for this country than was JFK, but we hope, at least, that he will be impervious to “love notes” from middle-aged political camp followers who are still trying to be influential without ever being relevant.

• 4 webmaster // Jan 27, 2008 at 11:29 am

Manuel,

“Princess Royal of the Kennedy clan”? Give me a break. Caroline Kennedy has authored 5-6 books, sits on the board of the Kennedy Library Foundation, is involved with the NAACP legal defense and education fund, and raises money for NY City schools. I believe that she’s also involved in the local arts scene in NYC.

While she hasn’t run for public office, I don’t think that you can say that she has accomplished nothing in life. Sure, she’s privileged, but you make it sound like she is a contemporary of Paris Hilton or the Bush twins.

• 5 notoriouslig // Jan 27, 2008 at 11:32 am

Her piece was indeed well-written and thoughtful. I’ve been struggling to write the words that best capture why I support Barack Obama, and now I don’t have to, she has done a nice job for me. I found most interesting, the lament that she had not in her life seen a president who inspired her in the manner many said her father inspired them. I feel that now. Regardless of whether some choose to describe her as a daughter of privilege, as did the commenter at 10:41 a.m., she has adeptly captured the sentiment of those who are far from that, and for that reason alone her op-ed demands attention.

• 6 Nantzin // Jan 27, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Sound like Obama will be endorsed by none other than Ted Kennedy, so if Caroline isn’t your cup o’ tea, he’s the head of the Kennedy clan backing Obama.