Blame it on the brown girl! Patti Solis Doyle, Clinton’s campaign manager, steps aside in campaign shake up.

February 10th, 2008 · 15 Comments

Ay Patti! As it becomes more apparent that Hillary Clinton will not so easily march toward the Democratic Party’s Presidential nomination, especially in light of yesterday’s primary losses in Washington, Nebraska, Louisiana, and US Virgin Islands, we have witnessed the first high profile brown casualty of the race, campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle. Pobrecita. Official word is Patti stepped down and will stay on the campaign as a senior adviser to Senator Clinton, but the new campaign manager will be Maggie Williams, a longtime aid for Team Clinton. I would be interested in knowing how this really played out. I think that Team Clinton has made a series of missteps, but how much of this was really influenced by Patti Solis Doyle I don’t know. Maybe some of my blog readers have some thoughts or some inside information. I am stunned because Hillary Clinton keeps touting her Latino outreach and ties to the community, and when the going gets tough for her Campaign, the Latina in charge gets the sack! We can sugarcoat it and say that Solis Doyle was replaced, but stepping aside to a lesser position is a demotion. After all of the hoopla about Clinton’s Latino outreach, I would not pick this time to have Patti Solis Doyle step aside. The Clinton team could have found some pajaritos to whisper in Solis Doyle’s ear.

If I were in the Clinton campaign, I would not have wasted money on such crappy video productions for the campaign such as “Oye Hillary” or “Hillary and the Band.” These really look second rate compared to the video productions that Obama has. Just listen to them, and the distinction is real obvious. [EDITED FOR CORRECTION: "Oye Hillary" was not produced by the Clinton campaign. It came from a volunteer effort. I should also add that I believe both of the Obama videos shown below were produced independently. However, that being said, you can still note the difference in the artistry and kind of inspiration that both candidates evoke.]

But these are more minor issues, I think that as time goes on, the outlook doesn’t look very good for Clinton. It is hard for Clinton to suggest that she’s a real agent of change when she has voted for the war and the Patriot Act twice. She also hasn’t been very clear on the drivers’ licenses for undocumented residents issue. I could go on and on, but I’ll keep this short. I want you to listen to the differences in the video clips below.

Tags: Barack Obama · Hillary Clinton · Patti Solis Doyle · Presidential Elections

• 1 Michaelr // Feb 10, 2008 at 4:56 pm

No surprise here. Billary has got to blame someone else for her character flaws and her true political achievements in the U.S. Senate; mainly to support the war in Iraq, and continue supporting the Patriot Act. As an entrenched U.S. Senator, Hillary has done nothing in the last seven years in office to even suggest she is capable of making the changes she claims she will make as President of the United States. I can already hear her now blaming the vast Right Wing conspiracy for her failure to end the war in Iraq, her failure to suspend the provisions of the Patriot Act, and her inability to alter the biased performance of the U.S. Supreme Court. Hillary is the Status Quo. She is the continuation of the Bush White House. And those that can’t see that are not only blind, deaf, and dumb, but are ignorant to the realities that confront American society today.

• 2 The Kaiser // Feb 10, 2008 at 5:08 pm

That being said…I have nothing that can equate that sentiment. You have convinced me.

• 3 girladvenger // Feb 10, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Patti Solis Doyle have very small children and has been working on the compaign for over a year…she is still working in the Campaign as a trusted Advisor and will be traveling with Hillary often. This has been in the works for awhile…This is nothing new.

It is just amazing to me how the media bias show everyday.

• 4 Bearguez // Feb 10, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I agree what you’re saying. Hillary’s history sitting on the board of directors of Wal-Mart, advising them how to bust the unions, strip benefits from their workers, and profit from the exploitation of child and female labor all over the world says a lot about her double standards. The Rose Law Firm catered to the Reagan White House in its efforts to bust all the unions in the 1980’s. Hillary was right in the middle of all that effort. Sounds like she has an identity problem.

• 5 The Kaiser // Feb 10, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Wasn’t she a Barry Goldwater girl in the 1964 elections?

• 6 Michaelr // Feb 10, 2008 at 6:19 pm

McCain will make more changes in U.S. foreign and domestic policy than Hillary will. That’s why no one else should endorse her. She will simply maintain what the Bush White House has in place, and Congress will follow suit.

Yes, the Rodhams were Republicans. There is nothing liberal about Hillary Clinton, except maybe her views on having an open marriage.

• 7 reenee // Feb 10, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; HillRod has suddenly noticed the brown people because of the media’s insistence that the brown vote is crucial to the candidates.

Patti Solis Doyle is out simply because she was able to do the impossible. No matter how HillRod spins it, she will never convince ALL of the brown people that she’s sincere. There are some of us that cannot be fooled. Think about it. You can put lipstick and a sombrero on a pig but it’s still a pig.

• 8 reenee // Feb 10, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Uh, she was NOT able to do the impossible.
    Damn keyboard.

• 9 Guy LeCharles Gonzalez // Feb 10, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Maybe I’m just too cynical but what I find most interesting is that, seeing as this has apparently been in the works since she lost Iowa and her win NH only delayed it a bit, that it finally happens AFTER California where Solis was prominently featured by the campaign in robocalls to potential Latin voters.

• 10 Paul // Feb 11, 2008 at 1:08 am

Hilary’s move is an indication of the trouble she is in. She has to stop the bleeding by the Potomac primaries but Obama has money, momentum and excellent ground organizing. It Obama sweeps them, the establishment that has backed her will start jumping off real soon.

Hilary’s strategy had to be to win by Super Tuesday. With Bill forced to the sidelines for unsportsman like conduct, how does she get back into the game? The next crying session won’t get much.

Clintons have never been good on Latino issues. Took Prez Clinton forever to even understand that there were Latinos – even with their presence at Tyson Chicken. Amazes me that Latinos in California went for her so heavily. I am sure much of it is a reflection of the tension between blacks and browns – but come on what did Clinton do?

• 11 leesee // Feb 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Excellent post Adriana, thoughtful and resourceful. Hillary is a known commodity that is perhaps why she garnered the Latino vote, it won’t happen again now that Obama is more well known.
    Truth be told I fear for Obama’s health and welfare, this is a racist country. Too much can happen between now and November.

• 12 Felicia // Feb 11, 2008 at 12:34 pm

This is just another example of how the Clintons will throw anybody under the bus that they think is a liability. Remember Lani Guinier and Joyclyn Elders?

• 13 Michaelr // Feb 11, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Leesee: That’s my fear too. The memory of JFK, MLK, and RFK is so poignant with me. I remember how Corporate America destroyed Jimmy Carter’s tenure as President. And we can all see how the Oil Industry has shamelessly run Bush 2’s administration. But now the big mountain ahead of Obama is the super delegates. I wonder if Howard Dean is going to politicize the process by supporting Billary. If he does that, the Democrats will have no chance in November, and we will have a do nothing Congress. Worse than we have now.

• 14 YolandaR // Feb 11, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Felicia and Adrianna, you should have seen Billiary had their favorite junk yard dog James Carville growling and barking about Obama on CNN today. JC was almost foaming at the mouth trying to explain that the Clintons oops I mean Hilliary will win Texas and Ohio. Their pollsters purport that the poor, undereducated blacks and Hispanics will leave their dishwashing and cotton picking fields to vote for her. I understand why no one from Billary’s campaign called this well-educated black woman’s house. The Clintons only throw the well-educated under the bus. I won’t struggle to get out from under it in time to vote in the national election if Billiary is candidate.

• 15 MeshelH // Feb 21, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I found this on Youtube and thought that a supporter of Hillary’s did great job … check it out! Maybe we should put everything into perspective again about why we should vote for Hillary and why it’s important for our girls!
    copy and paste if it is not highlighted.