More Fallout from the Clinton campaign leadership shuffle

February 12th, 2008 · 6 Comments

When Patti Solis Doyle stepped aside this weekend, I had a feeling that it wasn’t a good move for the Clinton campaign. Now how exactly this happened seems to be subject to different reports. I have read some articles suggesting that Solis Doyle had been “lying” to Senator Clinton about the campaign’s cash flow issues. In the seven years that Clinton had been representing NY in the senate, she had managed to raise $175 million dollars for her re-election and presidential bids. And somewhere after the New Hampshire primary, Senator Clinton learned that she was in a cash crunch. In response to this news, Senator Clinton pumped a $5 million loan into her campaign from her own sources without telling Patti Solis Doyle, her close friend/second daughter and then campaign manager. What a mess! Who would put a close friend in the dumps financially and then lie about it? I also think that Senator Clinton was kind of sneaky in her handling of this situation if these reports are in fact true, but this can be expected from entities firmly entrenched in a political machine system. She’s faces a serious challenge, and if she had already decided that Patti Solis Doyle was getting bumped, not telling her about the $5 million dollar loan confirmed her decision.

In addition to this rendition of the events, I have found some additional information that suggests that Solis Doyle and the current campaign manager, Maggie Williams were at odds with each other. For all of the hype of the black/brown divide, some have suggested that there was a microcosm of it in Team Clinton. Maggie Williams is an African-American. But I don’t see it this way. Solis Doyle could have been replaced with the blue man, and it still would have stung.

So what does this all mean? Well, you can read into it what you want, but Steve Ybarra, a Latino superdelegate in California, has sent out an e-mail suggesting that he now has “cause to pause” in casting a vote for Senator Clinton. I really think that for people who see loyalty in these terms, he has a good point, especially in light of the upcoming primary in Texas.

Maybe one of these days, Patti Solis Doyle will write a tell all book, and we’ll get her side of the story. I don’t think that I, as a Latina, need to feel overly sympathetic or somehow need to be in solidarity with her or the other Latinas on Team Clinton by supporting their boss or writing fluffy pieces that soften or humanize Hillary Clinton. I’m bothered that she didn’t show up to work in the Senate today to vote against immunity for telecommunications companies who face legal action over wiretapping. Why didn’t she want to fight for us today? Senator Obama found the time to show up.  Maybe this is why

Tags: Barack Obama · Hillary Clinton · Patti Solis Doyle · Presidential Elections

• 1 Michaelr // Feb 12, 2008 at 5:22 pm

And now the plot thickens…

• 2 Hector // Feb 12, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Obama baby!

• 3 Gerry // Feb 12, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I’m shocked! They’re now trashing Patti? What happened to the “official” story that Patti was just tired; still a respected part of the campaign; and performed magnificently as campaign manager? Were those lies? Now we hear that it was Patti’s fault that Clinton is such a lousy candidate; that she and Maggie have been at odds; and that it’s her fault that poor Hillary had to dig deep into her own pocket to pay campaign expenses.

If this Clintonistas mob can so easily throw undocumented workers under the bus, fire and then trash their Latina campaign manager, sell-out to lobbyists of all sorts, what will they do to the rest of us when it becomes politically expedient?

It’s way past time to turn the page. Yes, We Can! Si, Se Puede!

• 4 Michaelr // Feb 12, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Now now now. It isn’t over till its over. The fat lady hasn’t sung. The super delegates haven’t cast their votes, and that is what’s hovering over Obama’s road to the White House. Nancy Pelosi and her democratic co-horts have been cashing their checks and have been very quiet over there in DC, playing nice with the Bush. Now we see the real Billary, and she’s not very latino friendly. I wonder if Fabian Nunez, Dolores Huerta, and the mayor feel really stupid right now?

• 5 reenee // Feb 12, 2008 at 10:07 pm

When pundits quit saying “Latinos are behind Clinton” I’ll relax. I have never been one to be lumped like that without my say so.
    Now, in view of what’s been possibly going on behind the scenes, I’m very happy about not jumping on that bandwagon.
    At this stage of the game, I’m thinking that those names bigger than mine are happily endorsing in order to secure some cabinet post or other appointment. I’ll trust my own judgment when it comes to the candidates, not what they have to say.
    All I want right now is for the pinhead look-alikes to be defeated.

• 6 leesee // Feb 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Nice post Adriana, thanks for keeping the spotlight on Hill.