Grabbing the nearest book – Los Republicanos by Leslie Sanchez

March 13th, 2008 · 14 Comments

A few weeks ago, XicanoPwr tagged me to open one of the books I was reading. I was specifically asked to look at page 123 and sentences on that page, but I thought I would start closer to the beginning of the book since I have a lot to say about the subject matter. I was given Los Republicanos by Leslie Sanchez for the holidays, and I flip through it at my leisure. I can’t bring myself to read it all at once, but I’m trying. I just have other reading material that is currently higher on my priority list.

But I was particularly struck by this passage on p. 42:

“Not only are Latinos thriving in this country, but we’ve actually become avant-garde–we’re “where it’s at!” Everyone else wants to be like us. How else could salsa have become the new ketchup? Why else would folks in Kentucky celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

Not only is everyone eating our food, they’re learning our parents’ language, they’re listening to our music, they’re dancing our dances. Take a trip to Adams Morgan, a trendy Washington, D.C. neighborhood, and you can get ten-dollar salsa lessons from an excellent instructor–who happens to be Persian! The new salseros are people who don’t have so much as a Latin twig in their family trees.

Gone are the days when Hispanic actors like Ramon Estevez (now known as Martin Sheen) changed their names to fit into the American mainstream. Americans are eagerly watching and reading about famous Hispanics, whether it’s J-Lo in the NY Post’s Page Six, the accomplished A-Rod in the sports section, the powerful Carlos Gutierrez in the business section, or Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on page one.”

I don’t think that everyone wants to be like “us,” especially those of us who are incarcerated at higher rates than whites, experience dropping out of high school at alarming rates, and are tail spinning into foreclosure because we have been sold higher interest loans, specifically for “us.”

I become more discouraged by Ms. Sanchez’s insinuations that we are so hip because we have music and dances that the mainstream is finally taking note of. So what? All cultures have their own food, dances, and music. These cultural characteristics could easily not be in favor with whomever finds them fashionable tomorrow or next year. Eating our foods, dancing our dances, and listening to our music cannot be equated with “wanting to be like us” or living our struggles.

And then, this whole bit about “gone are the days when actors changed their names.” That may be the case on a certain level, but we still aren’t represented very well in Hollywood within the acting and film production ranks. And then there’s this ingrained notion among many in the entertainment elite that we Latinos must be downtrodden or live in barrios. We can’t possibly be portrayed in characters other than those showing us as exotic spitfires, cholos, or maids. Just read the referenced blog post by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez, and you will sense the frustration that our creative community is feeling because our stories don’t quite fit into the “American mainstream” or the stereotype that studio executives think will sell for the masses.

And don’t get me started on J.Lo. This book was published in 2007. I don’t think that J.Lo has dominated tabloid news for the past couple of years.

Alberto Gonzales on the front page?! Yeah, he really made me proud last year. Accusations of perjury and being GWB’s lapdog endear former attorney general Alberto Gonzales to me and the rest of the American public. The Department of Justice has been left in shambles thanks to this guy.

So there you have it, the nearest book! I’ll be writing more about Los Republicanos in the future. I think that we all needed a break from presidential politics for a day or two.

Tags: Alberto Gonzales · Books · GOP · GWB · Leslie Sanchez

• 1 PMG! // Mar 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm

As I mentioned… Known thy enemy!! You have no idea how watching Fox News helped me as I reach out to voters… it made sure I was prepared to counter the most stupid and shocking questions….

• 2 Michaelr // Mar 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I have nothing positive to say about this woman’s political ideals. Her political beliefs represent what is so numbing about our culture. I could easily write two thousand words on how brain dead this book was.

• 3 leesee // Mar 18, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Don’t read her crap your brain will hurt.

• 4 The Kaiser // Mar 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm

You’re right…this book was crap. I believe this Leslie Sanchez suffers from self-loathing. She hates what she is.

• 5 Michaelr // Mar 18, 2008 at 11:15 pm

She should have read the encyclopedias she used to sell door to door. That could’ve given her a better understanding of political ideologies, and where she sits on the food chain.

• 6 Jesus // May 9, 2008 at 6:06 am

I have watched Leslie Sanchez on CNN several times and she is one of the most divisive, uninformed, borders on racist Republicans I’ve ever seen. She hides behind her Latina background, but trust me people this lady is a monster in high heels.

She doesn’t have the american people’s best interest at heart. She’s all about Leslie Sanchez and what riches she can gain by destroying Democrats.

She can’t even speak Spanish and she’s very anti immigration, even though she is one of the lucky ones that is intimidated by others like her.

PHONEY.

• 7 Miguel // May 25, 2008 at 7:58 am

What a bunch of whinning losers you are – PMG ,MichaelR, The Kaiser,leesee,Jesus. It makes only perfect sense that you are liberal Democrats.

I came to this country a child in 1966. I am in my mid 40s a father and husband in an intact family. Try that for starters!!!!(FYI – we speak spanish at home)

Hispanics are incarcerateds at a higher rate than whites, failed education systems, sold loans at higher rates than whites…? This is the world 60s liberal democrats have given us. Who’s in charge of our eduation system? Who pushed for sex without consequences that have devastated hispanic households with single parent homes on welfare – no matter how many hispanic babies you abort? You are obviously ignorant of the loan process(I own several properties in Los Angeles and the midwest) and don’t know what the consequences of a poor credit score means.

And Leslie Sanchez is self loathing. LOL!!! ROFL !!!ROFLMFAO!!!

You guys support the people the F**d up the hispanic community and you want more of the same. And it burns you up that there are happy successful hispanics who naturally gravitate toward the successfull ideals of conservatism and self determination, charitable giving and personal responsability to counter your pathetic sad lonely failed lives.

I truly pity you, but you chose what you have – as I did.

• 8 webmaster // May 25, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Miguel,

Who says that we are supporting people who f*&#$ed up the Hispanic community?

PMG and MichaelR are successful Latinos in their own right and believe in self-determination. Last time I checked both of them were not on the welfare rolls and were earning paychecks in the private sector. You are calling people losers without any reference to their productivity or other activities.

• 9 Miguel // May 25, 2008 at 6:01 pm

All the posts I read support left of center positions. The left supported all these failed positions

I was not aware that this is “leftist” Latino Politicsblog.

Do you censure right of center positions?

If PMG and Michael are indeed successful in their own right(I don’t doubt they are), why do they support liberal leftist positions that maintain hispanics in poverty and on welfare rolls? Why do they support positions that only further government corruption as in our education system.

Or are they conservatives?

• 10 webmaster // May 25, 2008 at 7:24 pm

I don’t censor right of center positions. Do you see your own posts being deleted? Feel free to contribute your point of view.

As for Hispanics in poverty, I believe that there are a number of factors at work that include a lack of access to resources and quality education and some cultural values that focus on consumerism instead of investment. Where in this blog do you see anyone advocating that Latinos should be on welfare???!!!

Bill Clinton ended AFDC in his second administration. Welfare, as was promoted by the Republican Party back then, has effectively ended.

• 11 TheDem // Sep 4, 2008 at 10:39 am

She is a dumb cunt!

• 12 Manny Ramirez // Nov 12, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Great job Leslie it gives me great pleasure to see a Latina in the spot light. But unfortunatly you are riding the wrong horse. Mexican/Americans have always bet on the right horse. Mi Raza is backing President elect Obama 100%. Wake up and smell the tortillas, just kidding Leslie you make us all proud.
    Viva Leslie Cabrones!

Manny Ramirez

• 13 SDChe // Mar 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm

And Leslie Sanchez is self loathing. LOL!!! ROFL !!!ROFLMFAO!!!
    -ROFLMAO right there with you!

I cringe at the idea that someone has the audacity to stoop so low as to point out someone’s “innermost thoughts” when that someone has an opposing point of view.
    That’s like the lame argument of “Well if you don’t agree with gays then you must be gay”….RAAAIIIIGGGHHTTHH

“Mi Raza is backing President elect Obama 100%.”
    -Speak for yourself Manny. I don’t believe in Socialism. And neither does Maria Conchita Alonso, who has lived through the horrible standard of living that socialism creates as opposed to minimal government intervention in the market system.I don’t agree with Hussein O who was voted the most liberal senator at one point in time. I know many latinos who also don’t agree with him but are ignorantly “backing” Mr Hussein because of the lack of knowledge regarding what made the US the country that it is today. So please speak for yourself.

• 14 Stilicho // Jun 29, 2009 at 12:21 am

“Bill Clinton ended AFDC in his second administration. Welfare, as was promoted by the Republican Party back then, has effectively ended”

Er, no. Clinton signed into law the Republican PRWO Act which ended AFDC, which was begun in ’35 by FDR, a Democrat.