Mayor Tony will marry ‘ya!

May 17th, 2008 · 13 Comments

This week the California Supreme Court lifted the gay marriage ban. In an era of high gas prices, unaffordable health care, and an unending war in Iraq, one would think that gay marriage would be a non-issue. I have blogged about this before. Personally, I feel that gay and lesbian Americans should have the same rights as their straight brothers and sisters. I have met many gay couples who are more committed to their partners and families than some straight couples, so the whole family values argument doesn’t hold much with me.

In showing his support for the California Supreme Court decision and LGBT rights, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said, “I feel proud to be a Californian. I feel that today we reassert the fundamental obligation of every freedom-loving Californian; that is, that life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is essential and must be protected by the constitution.” He also added that he would officiate as many same-sex weddings as possible.

While we are all aware that Villaraigosa’s image as a lover and romantic, I don’t think that he should be officiating “as many same-sex weddings as possible” when he has to take care of some serious problems in his city. I’m all for him officiating some same-sex weddings to show his support and symbolism, especially as a Latino leader given some of the conservative leanings in the Hispanic community. However, I think that he must stay focused on the major tasks at hand. Villaraigosa has a tendency to get distracted with issues that become larger and more sexy than city politics, as we have seen with his eager campaigning on behalf of Hillary Clinton earlier this year.

Tags: Antonio Villaraigosa · Same-sex marriage

• 1 Michaelr // May 18, 2008 at 3:13 pm

And the subway to the sea…has the Mayor completely forgotten this promise? Like his commitment to the LAUSD. All that time wasted with Hillary Clinton’s campaign has just inflated his personal baggage. I’m starting to miss James Hahn.

• 2 reenee // May 18, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Considering his oblique take on fidelity, commitment, and personal integrity, his offer to officiate must be yet another scheme to add to the photo ops.

• 3 the Kaiser // May 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm

What a stupid thing to say. There are so many other ways to show his support for gay marriage. But why say something you never intend to do?

All flash and no substance. You can literally bank on whatever he says he’s going to do, he’s not going to do. Why do people with character issues choose to play out their lives under a microscope? You would think there would be some sort of urgency to accomplish something politically. He is after all…the mayor.

• 4 jammer // May 19, 2008 at 4:54 pm

To Hizoners credit after his pecadillo with Mz reporter he has been taking care of business, or at least it seems that way. You can’t always tell with energizer bunnies. If he aspires to other offices in the public eye he does need to scrub up his image a bit. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and hope he does a great job the rest of the way, because I feel he has a lot to offer. Andale Tony.

• 5 BettyM // May 19, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I was with you up until your final comment – I don’t think he did any more than any other Mayor supporting a presidential candidate. Also, the presidential campaign is a big issue – but it is not “sexy”…..

• 6 webmaster // May 19, 2008 at 5:45 pm

BettyM, in the beginning of the year, Mayor Villaraigosa spent 1/3 of his time during a two month period campaigning for Hillary Clinton. He was elected to serve the people of Los Angeles, not serve at the whim of Hillary Clinton for days at a time.

While other mayors campaign w/ Presidential candidates routinely, I don’t see how they can justify it for days on end unless their cities are in wonderful shape.

Some would argue that the presidential campaign is sexy. I was using the term figuratively. Villaraigosa appears to be interested in flash and the excitement of being around more powerful politicians. I can understand his excitement.

• 7 the Kaiser // May 20, 2008 at 12:57 am

Taking care of business? Certainly not any business related to the City of Los Angeles. What planet have you been living on Jammer? You must not be a City of Los Angeles taxpayer. Or, are you just a relative of the Mayor’s?

• 8 Michaelr // May 20, 2008 at 1:22 am

Why would anyone call Hillary Clinton’s campaign sexy? Don’t you think a more accurate term for HRC’s campaign would be maliciously inept? She’s done most of the work usually reserved for the GOP candidate, Ann Coulter, and Rush Limbaugh.

Nevertheless, it was Antonio Villaraigosa’s performance on Charlie Rose several weeks back that really sank his ship. Most of us thought he was an older version of Fabian Nunez, (since they share the same girlfriends), without FN’s backdoor obsession to steal from the taxpayer. However, his limited knowledge of John Edwards, and his miscues on the political issues revealed he not only didn’t do any homework in regards to the Democratic campaign, but he managed to kill off way more brain cells than he managed to retain. He would have been better off staying in Los Angeles and working on his real job.

• 9 Bearguez // May 20, 2008 at 1:32 am

Why are the female Latino politicians from Southern California (Gloria Molina, and Gloria Romero) so much more productive and scandal-free than these two jackasses (Antonio Villaraigosa and Fabian Nunez)? Is machismo really a disease with these two? Or have they forgotten they are civil servants?

• 10 Michaelr // May 20, 2008 at 10:54 am

I tend to think Fabian Nunez has an entitlement mentality, and believes he’s Louis XV, and all that promotes that same ol’ behavior we’ve grown accustomed to seeing with politicians from the PAN and PRI parties in Mexico. Villaraigosa didn’t begin that way; however, as his personal life worked its way into the gutter, so did his actions as the Mayor.
    So to answer your question, Fabian Nunez has no concept of the American English definition of Civil Service, and the Mayor’s personal life and political priorities put him in a constant state of flux.

• 11 Paul // May 20, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Fabian Nunez is an idiot. The mayor needs to stop traveling to places like China and focus on the city of Los Angeles. He does get “distracted” easily. Let’s not forget the bigger picture, he ultimately wants to become governor or President himself. I don’t think he really gives a crap about Los Angeles. To him it’s just a stepping stone in his career. In any event, I’d rather have him in office than than moron Bush.

• 12 Wendy Carrillo // May 20, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I had a show about this issue on Sunday. Some callers were quoting the bible on the issue of same sex marriage. Others thought it was about time. Other gay Angelinos think that marriage is a “white” gay issue.
    While I have own opinions of our Mayor, I don’t necessarily look at my elected officials for moral guidance… except maybe Obama… nonetheless, I applaud the Mayor for wanting to marry gay folks in mass. I think it would be a wonderful thing to be a part of and support. I have many gay friends who I know would love to participate on the steps of city hall and kiss and hold hands and be officially wed.
    While the Mayor does have his shortfalls, he has demonstrated leadership in times when he has been most criticized. I like that he took a public HIV test on World Aids Day 2007 just weeks after his affair broke the news and I can appreciate his desire to do something like a mass ceremony. I think this would be a good thing for the city! As California goes… so does the nation!

• 13 Bearguez // May 23, 2008 at 1:19 pm

No wonder Hillary thinks we’re all brainless fodder and can be easily sold this moron and that moron and all their civil service baggage. One trip to King Taco with the Mayor and his junior sleezeball Fabian Nunez is all they need to gather our votes. Why do we elect such self-serving people to represent us? Are we all that ignorant?