Does Hillary know something about an Obama assassination?

May 23rd, 2008 · 16 Comments

Just when I thought the Clinton campaign couldn’t sink any lower, today Hillary Clinton cited Bobby Kennedy’s assassination in June 1968, along with her husband’s win of the CA primary in June 1992, as reasons to stay in the Democratic primary race. For many reasons, people have worried about Barack Obama’s safety as the lead in this race because of the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and Dr. King. You can hear the remarks here:

I can’t believe that she would cite this reason for pressing on. Ted Kennedy fought up until the Democratic Convention in 1980, and Gary Hart was still challenging Mondale up until the 1984 Democratic Convention. Both of these challenges were more recent than RFK’s run for the presidency and subsequent assassination. I don’t think that assassinations should be brought up as valid reasons to stay in a race, especially when referring to an opponent who is bent on delivering change. Those of us who believe in real change are aware of the calculated risks involved in trying to deliver it. No need to rub our noses in the possibility of assassination.

While on topic, we are about two weeks away from the 40th anniversary of RFK’s death. Hillary’s remark, while timely, isn’t very sensitive to the Kennedy family, especially in light of the new challenges they are facing this week with Ted Kennedy’s illness.

I don’t have a problem with Clinton staying in the race. I really don’t. As a matter of fact, I think we continue to learn more about what she really thinks of the activist base of the party, hard working whites, African-Americans, and upper income Democrats. It all becomes rather comical, but this one isn’t funny.

Here’s how she tries to get out of it later in the day.

So Hillary supporters, try to explain this to me, and keep it on-topic, why do you think she’s invoking assassinations at this juncture? I’m glad that she offered a quasi-apology to the Kennedy family for the remark or rather to those of us who were offended by the remark (note how she never says “I’m sorry”), but why doesn’t she apologize to Obama? Barack Obama has never suggested that Hillary Clinton may be assassinated as a reason for his continued campaigning. I never thought of the Clintons being this crass about life and death matters, but in making this remark, she just lessened her stock as a potential VP choice.

Tags: Barack Obama · Hillary Clinton · JFK · Kennedys · Presidential Elections

• 1 libhomo // May 23, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Obama would have to be suicidal to choose Clinton as VP.

• 2 Michaelr // May 23, 2008 at 8:43 pm

If this isn’t a character issue, I don’t know what is. This is the female George W. Bush on steroids. There is no place in American politics for irresponsible remarks like this.

• 3 the Kaiser // May 23, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Now I understand why Bill Clinton has spent a lifetime cheating on his wife. This is not a woman, this is a monster. My heart goes out to Bill Clinton and the Kennedy family for being forced to tolerate the lowly character of this woman…oops monster.

• 4 Bearguez // May 23, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Has the Hillary campaign hired Karl Rove? And is she now exclusively consorting with Dick Cheney? My God…the cruelty of this woman to compare the Kennedy tragedies, with her own self-destructive, and mean-spirited, inept campaign. What is Mark Penn planning in the shadows for this woman? Do we have a lone assassin lurking about following the Obama campaign? What an incredible stupid thing to say.

• 5 reenee // May 24, 2008 at 2:55 pm

This woman wants the presidency so much that she will do and say anything to get it. I knew she was sad, devious, and reprehensible, but I never knew she was this cruel and so lacking in soul.
    She is quite clearly, beyond redemption.

• 6 Barrio Abogado // May 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Each day this continues she becomes more and irrelevant. What a stupid statement to make. I really don’t understand what she expects to accomplish with the continuation of her campaign. She has already proven that she was a legitmate presidential contender. Now she is harming her reputation and statements like this confirm my reasons for supporting Obama!

• 7 Miguel // May 25, 2008 at 7:15 am

Reading some of the comments to this story; “Has Hillary hired Karl Rove?” or “…this is a female GW Bush”, or “…is she…consorting with Dick Cheney”, makes me want to throw up. This is ONLY another example of liberal Democrats at work. But how can you demogogue against a fellow liberal? Ah it is because she is acting like a Republican. I imagine Black widow spiders eating their mates after sex.

Democrats made this race about gender and race. (1st woman president vs 1st black president). Only this time their competition was- another Democrat. All the regular class/race/gender warfare victims come out to play. Millionaires like the Obama’s, NOW and even Bill Clinton are victims(the last as per THE KAISER).

Hillary has been pissing and moaning about all the sexism she has had to battle during this race. From where? Fellow Democrats. While blacks vote for Obama, mainly BECAUSE he is black. Isn’t that a warm fuzzy thought among “color-blind” Democrats. But in the end it appears race trumps gender and somehow it must be Republicans’ fault.

The Democrats history since McGovern, I’d say, has been slash and burn politics. If you are not a liberal, you are a greedy, racist, homophobe, bigot, mysogynist, etc… Awesome when it is an evil conservative. A mixed result when you are a battling a fellow liberal.

Hillary has probably effectively ended her candidacy. The Democratic party can prop up another victim class(excuse me- millionaire, wife makes 250k a year, Ivy school educated kinda-a-victim) candidate for president, who if he doesn’t win(maybe for mentoring with a bigotted pastor for 20 years, associating closely with a former terrorists and Communist party members, making sweetheart real estate deals with soon to be convicted felon, offering to appease terrorists unconditionally) it will be because racist republicans(and it now appears racist democrats) won’t vote for a black man.

mmm…why do roosting chickens come to mind.

• 8 leesee // May 25, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hillary has finally revealed who she is, I was for her in the beginning but I am against her now. While it is good and historical a black man and a woman have been battling for the highest office of the land, the contest itself has degenerated into race and gender issues.
    Hillary helped it become that way, she has consistently brought the level of discourse to the low level it now is.
    Liberal Democrats? The last commenter says that like it’s a bad thing, we are proud to be liberal, that means we consider all points of view, we don’t have to agree but we tolerate it.
    Further, there will always be racists, but we can’t behave in a manner that will allow racists to flourish and to sway the vote, soon that will be out of style.

• 9 Miguel // May 25, 2008 at 5:52 pm

leesee,

You write “Liberal Democrats? …we are proud to be liberal, that means we consider all points of view, we don’t have to agree but we tolerate it.”

Then write”A Democrat would have to be a fool to vote for McCain if they did not like Obama, talk about suicide.”

This is the kind of tolerance that keeps me a conservative.

You are tolerant as long as we agree with you. Like Obama. He’s willing to bring us all together as long as we agree with his socialist ideas. Or has he compromised on something.

• 10 Miguel // May 25, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Liberalism = Intolerance

• 11 Michaelr // May 25, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Miguel:

Sounds like you learned all about American politics at church.

• 12 Bearguez // May 25, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Actually, Miguel sounds like he’s never been out of the country and was educated exclusively by network television. His demonization of socialism sounds like something Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter would utter on radio and television to their audiences. People would slant liberalism, by claiming to be conservative have great difficultly defining what conservative actually means. His world is completely black and white, and he can’t see his nose despite his face.

• 13 Michaelr // May 25, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Miguel’s perception says everything about Latinos, and our inability to confront our phobias regarding Black America, and look intelligently through the looking glass and admit that socially, politically and economically we are at the bottom end of American society always looking up. And we can thank our attitudes towards higher education for making us willing slaves for corporate America, our strict adherence to religious doctrine for keeping us small-minded, and that disgusting Spanish-speaking programming on network television for titillating our ignorance.

• 14 Anj // May 26, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Hello Adriana. My name is Angelo Peña. I saw that you stopped by my blog and left a comment. First of all, thank you for your input. As an political independent, I welcome all points of view.

It saddens me though, to see your blog propogate such a blown out of proportion non-news story as what Hillary was referring to in her SD interview.

I guess it simply isn’t good enough for Robert F Kennedy’s son himself to come out and say that nothing was meant by her comment. I feel sorry for Obama’s supporters because they seem to be victims and the whole world is out to get them.

In any event, victimization will be self-destructive in the general election. Eventually, calling everyone a racist who doesn’t support Obama is going to be the death knell of his effort. Republicans have NO loyalties to minorities, and will not care one bit what Obama nor his surrogates will have to say regarding race.

Main reason why I won’t ever vote for Obama is his stance on gay issues. Being a gay Chicano, him standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Donnie McClurkin in South Carolina made me cringe. This is the “ex-gay” preacher who calls homosexuals “prostitutes who are full of pride.” I can tell you I am NO prostitute but I sure do have my pride. Second, when Donna Brazile came out on CNN and said that Obama can win without the rural white voters or Latinos in the general election, that sealed the deal. She speaks for the DNC. No one refutted that statement. And I make this known to every Latino I come into contact with.

So Obama can win without me. I live in TX so he doesn’t stand a chance ONE here. In 2004, over 4 million people voted for George W Bush. Obama will not even meet half that here.

Please feel free to stop by my blog to read my posts. I will warn you though: when I visit/comment on other blogs I am respectful and choose my language carefully. However, on my own blog, Obama, his wife and his associates are fair game. My critiques are no-holds barred.

• 15 webmaster // May 27, 2008 at 6:15 am

Angelo,

Thank you for coming to the blog. I am aware that Obama has some issues with Donnie McClurkin, and I agree with you. That is a problem, and hopefully, he distances himself from this guy.

As for Donna Brazile, well, she’s out there, but she’s not in Obama’s inner circle. She works for CNN and has her own consulting firm, so as far as I’m concerned, she’s not an official voice for the Obama campaign. To me, Brazile is not very relevant, she ran a horrible campaign for Al Gore in 2000.

I think that Obama will need as many votes from all segments, gay, straight, black, brown, yellow, red, and white.

I’m saddened that you won’t give Obama a chance, but out here in CA, he has some prominent gay supporters. No candidate is perfect, and Obama does have some flaws that I don’t like. But I realize that he has better policy positions than John McCain.

I wouldn’t want to stand back and let John McCain take this. John McCain won’t protect abortion rights, he is bent on continuing an endless war in Iraq, has an old archaic policy plan for Cuba, etc.

If anything, think about the Supreme Court this coming election. And also, talk to the Obama campaign voicing your concerns. I think that you will find more people who look like you and share your values in his camp, than you will in McCain’s campaign. I think that the Obama campaign listens actively to criticism. With donors from all walks of life, they have put themselves in a position where they have to.

• 16 Irma // Jun 25, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Sorry, I missed this Hilary story. The whole thing was really blown out of proportion I thought
    the Obamaites went crazy over this one. Here is why.

Unlike most of you, I remember when JFK was
    assassinated. It was the day after my 7th birthday, in Dallas Texas where I grew up.
    Class had just started and then something strange happened. Someone called my 2nd grade teacher out to the hallway – she returned
    to the classroom , but instead of resuming class, she turned toward the crucifix on the wall and
    began to lead the class in prayer. The class rose
    to their feet ,crossed themselves and joined her.
    I learned later that day that the president had been shot and that he died. A few years later ,
    I watched Robert Kennedy get shot in California
    while he was campaigning. It was the summertime as the school year had already ended. Hilary remembered that Bobby Kennedy didnt have the nomination locked up
    in the summer – that what why he was still
    campaigning. She didnt mean anything nefarious – she just remembered when it happened like I did.

As I have stated on this forum . I cannot support Barack Obama or John McCain.
    McCain’s positions on a lot of subjects are too far away from mine. Barak Obama’s positions
    change with the wind. I just dont know what to believe. I also have been disgusted by many of his supporters who have called me a racist because I dont support him. This is of course, is ridiculous, because of course as a female, Mexican American women who is also a Jew –
    I have been the target of sexism, antiHispanic
    racism and sometimes AntiSemitism.

I will wait to see how Obama does if he gets elected. If he does a good job – he will get my vote the next time.