Clinton tells NALEO that we have to be united in backing Barack Obama

June 27th, 2008 · 8 Comments

Yesterday Hillary Clinton told a room full of Latino Elected Officials that we all should be united in backing Barack Obama. In acknowledging the help she received from the Latino community, she said, “I was very honored to have so much support in the Hispanic community. I believe this country is worth fighting for, and the best way to continue this fight is to elect Barack Obama as president of the United States.” While Senator Clinton put up a strong and aggressive fight for the nomination, I think that she has come full circle in supporting Barack Obama, especially since he reached into his own pocket yesterday to help her retire her campaign debt. Senator Obama has also asked his top contributors to assist Clinton in paying off her campaign bills.

I think that Hillary Clinton is intelligent and savvy enough to realize that supporting Barack Obama for the presidency will help advance her own agenda, which in reality is not that different from Senator Obama’s. Hillary Clinton kept telling us that she was fighting for women’s rights, children’s rights, and for comprehensive health care for all Americans. Electing Barack Obama will bring us closer to achieving those goals than will supporting Senator McCain or even opting to not vote for president because some are bitter that Clinton did not win the nomination. I really wonder how not supporting Senator Obama will help advance Senator Clinton’s agenda in the Senate for those folks who are angry that she did not win. Furthermore, what real alternative is there in the race that would help advance the causes that Senator Clinton supports?

Tags: Barack Obama · Hillary Clinton · National Association of Latino Elected Officials · Presidential Elections

• 1 Irma // Jun 27, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Hilary is a savvy Democrat who is going through
    the motions. Neither she nor I believe Barak Obama is the answer, otherwise she would not have
    held out as long as she did. To tell you the truth,
    I don’t know what Barak Obama stands for.
    Handguns in DC for the public are okay with him , so is the death penalty for rapists. This is pandering to the right. I dont blame Hilary for playing the good soldier for the public but I will not vote
    Democrat this November. I wont vote at all and I am encouraging my very large family in various swing states to stay home. Barak Obama will
    do anything to get elected. Yes, he has brought
    change – he CHANGES his positions almost every day. At this point, even Richardson would have
    been a better alternative and that is very hard for me to say .

• 2 webmaster // Jun 27, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Irma, I think it is sad that you won’t vote at all this November. Your local elections are the ones where you are most likely to make a difference (school board, city council, local judge, state house races, etc), and just because your presidential candidate did not make it to the top of the ticket… you are going to stay home and encourage the rest of your family to do the same??? When I was in undergrad, one of my political science professors told all of us that while the president does shape a lot of policy, we should pay just as close attention to what happens locally because movements start from the ground up. Don’t you remember the old Tip O’Neil axiom about all politics being local? You are more likely to be impacted sooner by your county tax assessor than you are with the whomever resides in the White House. What kind of example does this send to other Latinos?

As for the death penalty, I hate to break it to you, but Hillary Clinton supports it.

Sadly, she also supports the three strikes law, which is responsible for incarcerating a lot of Latinos in states like California, especially for minor drug offenses.

On the other hand, Obama worked to reform the capital punishment system in Illinois. He has also admitted that the death penalty does not deter crime.

If I’m not mistaken, Illinois still has a moratorium on the death penalty.

Any Democratic candidate would have to make some concessions to the right. Bill Clinton did it with welfare reform, NAFTA, and the death penalty. Maybe you forgot about Ricky Ray Rector?!

Finally, how is staying home in November going to help Hillary’s cause? And are you willing to write her campaign a check at this point? I don’t see how ranting about Hillary’s loss is going to help you or your familia without taking some action.

• 3 Irma // Jun 28, 2008 at 10:36 am

I have contributed multiple times to Hilary’s campaign. She is not going to the Dem nominee -
    it is a fact that still deeply saddens me. But this being said, I cannot vote for Barack Obama and even without my influence, I doubt that my family will either. Politically, we are probably moderate to conservative in our views. On immigration, our views are quite liberal due to our history.

Staying home in November will be our way of sending the message to the Democratic party
    that the right to vote is sacred. My party used to respect the right of the voter – it doesnt anymore.
    Remember those Michigan votes ? The DNC
    arbitrarily GA VE Barak votes that were cast for
    Hilary. He accepted them even though he didnt need them. That is enough for me.

• 4 reenee // Jul 1, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I’m always stunned to learn that some people would either not vote, or would rather vote for more of the same pointless and failed policies.
    The only message that not voting sends is disinterest in what happens to our country.
    The only message that voting for more of the same is an unending obtuseness about what has occurred in the last eight years.
    How sad.

• 5 Irma // Jul 2, 2008 at 7:47 am

Not voting is acknowledging the fact that there are no acceptable choices. McCain is clearly not acceptable. Every day Obama changes his
    previous position on something (now it is okay to spy on the public) and sounds
    more like a Republican. I dont vote Republican.

• 6 Michaelr // Jul 8, 2008 at 1:26 am

Not voting eliminates your right to complain.

• 7 BettyM // Jul 8, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I was/am a Hillary supporter. I do not want the Republicans to have another opportunity to bring ruin to our country. Let’s elect a democrat and hold the party accountable. Get out and vote!

• 8 Irma // Jul 15, 2008 at 9:42 am

Barack Obama is not a Democrat .