McCain suspends campaign & wants to postpone debates

September 25th, 2008 · 13 Comments

Yesterday was not been a good day for John McCain. He has expressed that he will suspend his campaign to head back to Washington, D.C. to deal with the economic crisis. So along with suspending the campaign, McCain also skipped out on the Letterman show, is trying to avoid the first presidential debate on Friday, and would like to postpone the VP debate as well. For a man who is known for “straight talk” and being a maverick, this move to suspend his campaign does not indicate that he is very good at multitasking or handling a crisis. Nico Pitney of the Huffington Post points out that McCain has missed more votes during the current congressional session than any other senator, except for Tim Johnson who had brain surgery. Why the big rush to get back to D.C. when McCain has missed so many other opportunities to get in a team huddle with his colleagues?

For someone who has been in the Senate for 20 some odd years, I find it strange that McCain cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Debates should be child’s play for him given the rough and tumble persona that he has cultivated as a warrior and maverick. Senator Obama has suggested that the debate should go on as scheduled because Americans need to be engaged in the dialogue about how we are going to solve the financial crisis. It is our tax dollars at stake, so I want to hear a debate. I’m sick of this media avoidance, and now this sudden need for a time out. It is bad enough that Palin will hardly grant interviews, and now this!?

If you are disturbed by the latest move from McCain-Palin, I suggest you follow this link to Demand the Debate 2008, and fill out your contact information.  You can also contact the McCain campaign here. Voters make more informed decisions when they have information from the debates and are engaged in the dialogue. Let’s send a message to Senator McCain and Governor Palin that we want to hear them directly engaging with their opponents. How else will we measure how well they can perform on their feet?

Tags: Barack Obama · John McCain · Presidential Elections · Sarah Palin

• 1 MacDaddy // Sep 25, 2008 at 7:19 am

When things get tough for Sen. McCain, he goes for grandstanding or something different. But this goes back to his reputation of being impulsive and unstable. Maybe he could get away with this as a sensator. But as a president, you can’t. People need to believe that their president is steady at the helm and measured in what he says and what he does.

Let’s face it: While Obama acts presidential, Sen. Acts unstable and looks old and anything but presidential.

• 2 MacDaddy // Sep 25, 2008 at 7:19 am

I got you linked!

• 3 Irma // Sep 25, 2008 at 8:52 am

A debate is just that TALK. Right now ,
    in Washington , Congress is trying to figure out
    what to do. I WANT all my Congressmen/women to be there- those that are NOT there wont get my vote.

• 4 EYES OF TEXAS // Sep 25, 2008 at 9:12 am

John McCain returned to Washington to do his job as a Senator. He has made the right decision to participate in resolving the wrecked U.S. economy. Barack Obama, on the otherhand, has chosen to remain on the campaign trail so he can get more media “face-time” and realizes his vote of “present” for any resolution brought forth in the Senate wouldn’t matter. The Oval Office is no place for on the job training as it would be for Obama. McCain has the experience 20 fold over Obama and is willing to make decisions for the benefit of Americans. All the arrogant Obama cares about is pumping up his ego and rock star image, not the needs of Americans.

• 5 BettyM // Sep 25, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Irma – I think the debates are very important. I would hope that the questions asked will tell us more about their views regarding important issues. I want more than a speech. I think the debates can go on and both candidates can participate in the discussions in Washington.

• 6 Irma // Sep 25, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I totally disagree. The current budget crisis is like
    surgery. Would you want your surgeon dividing their time between you and somebody else?

• 7 webmaster // Sep 25, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Irma, Hillary Clinton has been out campaigning for Barack Obama this week. As a matter of fact, she’s going to be in Michigan. She’s not locking herself up in Washington. And wasn’t she at the Clinton Global Initiative this week too?

Other presidents have debated during times of war and other crises. Why can’t McCain be in Washington during the day and fly to the debate later in the afternoon? You must be assuming that he is only capable of working Ronald Reagan hours and needs to take a nap. Is it too much to expect for McCain to devote time and energy to more than one issue at a time? He hasn’t been in D.C. much at all this year. Is his staff not capable of working on the bailout and other pending legislation?

• 8 Michaelr // Sep 25, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Irma…there you go using that logic from Planet X. “The current budget crisis is like surgery.” Who feeds you these analogies? Wall Street has always operated on the principle of larceny and exploitation. The mortgage crisis created by Wall Street was simply a Ponzi scheme that ran out of suckers. The different here is that those Wall Street brokerages and investment banks have used some of that money they have stolen from middle class American families to purchase lock, stock, and barrel U.S. Senators and Congressional representatives, mostly from the Republican Party. And now those very thieves from Wall Street want tax monies from you, me and the rest of America who still have jobs to maintain their outrageous salaries, perks, and lifestyles. This is not surgery. This is just more theft. It’s as simple as that. No need to go to college or call your doctor to understand this situation. This is nothing more than the typical double standard the Bush Administration has used to enrich their friends and family out of the yield of your labor. McShame…oops, excuse me, McCain simply wants to make sure Lehman Bros and JP Morgan get as much as they can from that seven hundred billion dollar gift. After all, they have a lot of your money invested in John McShame.

• 9 Irma // Sep 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

I am leaving this forum because of Michael R’s
    tiresome , immature insults.

I caution readers of this blog not to idolize ANY politician. No one is above reproach.
    I refer all reader to todays NYT TIMES. This rag finally wrote an objective article about this years
    presidential campaign.

Dubious Claims in Obama’s Ads Against McCain, Despite Vow of Truth
    E-MAIL
    SINGLE PAGE
    REPRINTS

By JIM RUTENBERG and JULIE BOSMAN
    Published: September 25, 2008

• 10 webmaster // Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 am

Irma,

I am sad to see you go. I like reading your point of view, even though I don’t always see eye to eye with you.

If Michaelr bothers you, just ignore him. I would like to think that there is something for everyone here. I don’t censor comments because I don’t believe in hiding and want to encourage debate and dialogue even when we are confronted with some of the most ugly thoughts.

I will read that NYT article you posted later. :)

• 11 jammer // Sep 26, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Irma, I like your comments even though I haven’t agreed with any of them. Andale heche le mas al caldo. In reality, I’ll bet Michael r is a big huggable guy just getting to you. The LA times today did an article today on how Mclame pulls this “I’m suspending tricks” to generate more publicity and it’s always with the catch phrase “I’m putting America first” He did it in 96 when he stopped campaigning to be around when the vote for Serbia came about. He did it just before the convention so every speaker could get up and talk about what a great leader he was to put America first. And he did it again now except the fall out was to great and he has to get his sorry ass to Mississippi. In the last year Mclame has missed more votes then any other Senator including the guy who has been out because of a stroke. Look it up Ojos De Tejas. And one of his favorite tricks is to miss votes so he can say I didn’t vote for that, which is the same as Obama voting present. And Ojos, Mclame does have a lot of experience. A failure at the academy, a failed fighter pilot, failed marraige, mediocre record as a senator and a record as a maverick because he doesn’t fit in anywhere. Is where he is at because his rooka has the bucks.Thats not the kind of experience I want in a leader. Give me a guy who worked himself through college, worked to get into Harvard Law, could have made a lot of money by signing up with a prestigious( Ojo’s that means important and noteable) law firm, but chose to give back to his community as a community organizer. Obama offers a better promise.

• 12 bettym // Sep 26, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Irma – I appreciate your comments – especially about how some people feel about politicians. Yes, we should be open-minded and learn from each other. Everyone has a voice that should be heard – this forum is great because there are some very good statements made by everyone. I would like to hear your point of view now and in the future. Let’s hear the debates!!

• 13 Michaelr // Sep 28, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Farewell, goodbye, and good luck Irma.