Why everyone should read a weekly or monthly news journal

September 25th, 2008 · 13 Comments

I know that these clips are making the rounds all over the internet, but I could find political science undergraduates who could answer the questions that Katie Couric asked Governor Palin about foreign policy and the economic crisis more coherently. Even Katie Couric commented today that, “She’s not always responsive when she’s asked questions. It was a really interesting experience for me to interview her yesterday.”

Palin sounds like she’s grasping for something substantive to say, but then it gets all garbled up when she speaks and she reverts to canned messages. She’s not even a good actress. Palin reminds me why I read the newspaper, blogs, Newsweek, The Atlantic Monthly, among other sources for policy and analysis. We should strive to have good communication skills and a basic knowledge of current events. I know that much is made about Palin’s appeal to the common American, but come on people, we can do better than this!
Watch CBS Videos Online

Now onto my favorite part, listen to how what she thinks about the bailout and how “health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.” Reducing taxes has got to accompany tax reductions? Maybe someone here can make sense of this nonsense.

Tags: Media · Presidential Elections · Sarah Palin

• 1 Michaelr // Sep 25, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Geez…this woman is dumber that George W. Bush. However, in defense of the Bush at least he tried to answer direct questions put to him. Sarah Palin just evaded these questions from Katie Couric, and stuck to the usual clichés. Around Charles Gibson from ABC News she was flirtier. But around Katie Couric she seemed intimidated. Katie Couric’s facial expressions said it all. Can you image this woman initiating public policy? This makes me very curious about Alaskan culture, and how it produces people like Sarah Palin and Ted Stevens, and elevates them to positions of leadership.

• 2 HispanicPundit // Sep 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Interesting, cuz I was thinking I could find high school juniors who know more history than Joe Biden, the supposedly “foreign policy expert”. See here.

• 3 webmaster // Sep 26, 2008 at 6:37 am

Point taken HP. Biden is not the best historian or speaker himself. However, Palin was talking about current events, not history from 60-70 years ago. What is her excuse? If she can’t grasp the here and now and articulate policy positions more clearly, why should she be rewarded with the VP job?

She has also taken to talking about more regulation, which I thought was a “no no” among true conservatives. It seems like she’s been waving her own finger in the air to see which direction the wind blows. Oh wait… but, but, he’s a maverick!

• 4 HispanicPundit // Sep 26, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Granted – Sarah Palin does not know much foreign policy, economics, or policy. I am not going to argue that she does.

What I am going to argue is that what is important, atleast to me, is not necessary raw knowledge of those things but instincts, values, and moral perceptions, and on that, I do trust Sarah Palin much more than some intellectual or elite any day.

As VP she really doesn’t need to know policy inside and out, she will be surrounded by foreign policy experts, economic experts, and policy experts. She can ask the economists, for example, the trade offs between policy A and policy B and they will give her more than she ever needed to know herself. And yes, there is a greater chance that McCain will die in office but I give him atleast a few more years, long enough for her to have learned what she needed to know.

Remember, Obama made some very serious mistakes early on in the primaries but has learned throughout the months and months of campaigning. I expect Sarah Palin to be no different – except that, I trust her instincts much more than I trust Joe Biden’s or even Obama’s.

• 5 webmaster // Sep 27, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Instincts, values and moral perceptions… HP, you are digging yourself a hole. What exactly are Palin’s moral perceptions? She is known for trying to ban books, and thereby control what people think or have access to learn. She has a daughter who is having a baby out of wedlock, while insisting on supporting a failed policy of abstinence-only sex education. She is known for petty retaliatory moves within her own state when people don’t do what she wants them to do. She continually lies about the bridge to nowhere, cutting down the influence of lobbyists, and so much more. How does her behavior embody some sort of Christ-like morality or even Christian values that she’s so proud of having?

If you value the morality and perceptions of someone who is so clearly hypocritical on many issues, then I would question your own value system. I think that with a lot of conservatives, there is much emphasis on morality and values that even they cannot uphold. Look no further than John McCain and his failed first marriage. He couldn’t even wait to divorce the first wife before taking up with Cindy McCain. Are those the kind of values and morals that you trust? Someone who cannot even honor a marriage contract, but will take up with the next best thing just to improve his own social standing and financial situation.

And don’t get me started on the marriage focused conservatives who have their own children out of wedlock or espouse the values of marriage and yet cheat of their spouses. Many of these people who get up in arms about gay marriage can’t even remain committed to their own straight partners. Yet, they try to tell the rest of us what a “normal family” unit should look like.

And while we are on instincts… why would Palin put herself out there, risking her party’s ticket, when she is so unprepared on policy? Explain to me what kind of political instinct would make her think that she is prepared to be VP.

• 6 HispanicPundit // Sep 27, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Nobody is talking about Christianity or “conservative morals”, whatever those are. I am not approaching this through a religious lens. I am talking about the school of hard knocks of which she is a clear graduate. Read this article for a better explanation.

Btw, I know many great families who have teenage daughters with kids. The more you bring that up as a moral deficiency the more I question your view towards Mexican neighborhoods – in case you didn’t know, mothers with teenage daughters are certainly not a rarity, do you really see them as morally bankrupt parents? What neighborhood did you grow up in? Cuz it comes off as really elitist and disconnected from the day-to-day happenings in the neighborhood.

• 7 webmaster // Sep 28, 2008 at 8:42 am

HP, I don’t see families with teen parents as morally bankrupt, but I will tell you that becoming a single mother is one of the most proven ways to throw a woman into a life of poverty.

How is wanting to prevent teen pregnancy or single motherhood elitist? I used to work in a program for at-risk girls in La Puente, CA, hardly a wealthy neighborhood, and many young girls would talk about wanting to delay becoming moms so that they could achieve some of their dreams. Frankly, many of these young women also talked about getting married to someone who valued them as well.

This whole “elitist” label is just another term that the right is throwing around to describe people who have achieved certain goals, hoping that it will resonate with those who are less educated and less “worldly.” I know that you have discussed your schooling, purchases, etc. I could just as easily label you an elitist. Why should we excuse incompetence with someone like Palin by just saying that those who criticize her are “elitist”?

Also, Palin has not shown compassion for the victims of rape with her move to make rape victims pay for their own rape kits. Maybe you support crime victims having to pay for their own evidence collection because in some free market theory, it will be better for everyone, right?

• 8 cindylu // Sep 28, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I’m not sure I want the executive branch of this country being just like the average American. Or close to it. Call me elitist or whatever you want. However, I think the people we are trusting to lead (and be second in line) should be above and beyond the average. Sarah Palin just isn’t that person. It’s cool that HP defends her. I’m sure he wants to feel good about his vote and that McCain made a good choice in picking her as his running mate. Still, you can’t deny that she leaves a lot to be desired.

I wonder if the McCain campaign will stop hiding her from the journalists…

• 9 Michaelr // Sep 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Hispanic Pundit…you went to college? Your dribble reflects more the attitudes of the pulpit and the marketing department at Wal-Mart…strategies that are more inline with the mental enslavement of American Latino minds than anything else. Let’s hear more about your vast opinions regarding the so-called Free Market, and Wall Street’s entitlement to seven hundred billion dollars of our tax monies.

• 10 HispanicPundit // Sep 28, 2008 at 4:36 pm

webmaster,

Now you are saying something different. I am not deriding your desire to want less teenage pregnancy – what I am disputing is the implication that because someone has a teenager who got pregnant, that that somehow shows a lack of moral quality or values in the mother. That seemed to be the charge you were implying, and it is that charge that I find elitist and disconnected from the communities of the poor.

Cindylu,

Of course you do – you are liberal. I don’t think its much of a stretch to say that this is one of the many dividing factors between conservatives and liberals. For example, conservatives, IMHO, would be much more comfortable with a president from a farming background, vs, one with a Harvard background. Liberals, in addition, are much quicker to attach “stupid” to a farming or working class background, whereas conservatives see more of a different kind of wisdom. The elitist charge, in this case, describes the political divides well.

Michaelr,

FYI, I am a high school drop out with a GED. Not everybody can be as enlightened and intelligent as you.

• 11 webmaster // Sep 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm

HP, I never said that because Palin’s daughter was pregnant that she lacked values. I think that Palin is hypocritical for pushing abstinence only education when most teen moms cannot live an elitist existence in a governor’s mansion. Additionally, Palin must have her head in the sand to not know that studies have proven abstinence only education is a failure. How do you not see the hypocrisy here?

Conservatives have demonized single moms since Dan Quayle made an issue out of the fictional Murphy Brown. I’m not passing judgment on teen mothers, but I am pointing out the hypocrisy and inconsistency in Palin’s support for a policy that has clearly failed even in her own home. And then Palin has the audacity to parade her daughter and boyfriend around the RNC.

Your farmer analogy is not so great either. Jimmy Carter, respected in liberal circles, was a peanut farmer, and Bill Clinton was born in rural Arkansas and rose up to yes, obtain an Ivy League law degree. It seems that you attach “elitist” to people who have risen up without fully understanding the kind of background that they came from. LBJ was born poor in a farmhouse in Texas.

The last three conservative presidents have not had a farming background. GWB, while owning a ranch in Crawford, was educated at Yale and Harvard and comes from a line of establishment elitists in business, investment banking, munitions, and government. Just because W wears a cowboy hat doesn’t mean that he’s down with the common man. Maybe you haven’t studied Prescott Bush and the history of the Walkers.

• 12 Michaelr // Sep 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Thank you for clarifying that. This more or less conveys your irresponsible comments in regards to the so-called Free Market, that Wal-Mart is a Godsend to the Latino populace, and that teenagers having babies is not a detriment to cultural or moral values.

• 13 HispanicPundit // Sep 28, 2008 at 11:35 pm

webmaster,

Hmm…reading back you may be right. I’ve heard so many criticisms from the left on her “lack” of moral qualities simply because of her teenage daughters pregnancy that I just assumed. My bad! ::hugs::

Regarding her teenage daughters pregnancy and abstinence, well, I have news for you: neither abstinence nor sex education works.

I quote: “The gold standard study of abstinence-only education is a longitudinal study begun in 2001. There was no significant difference between the students receiving abstinence education and the students receiving the ordinary programs in their school district. At least half of those programs had comprehensive contraception education.

It doesn’t matter what you measure: STD awareness, assessment of birth control effectiveness, number of partners, age of first sexual intercourse, medical outcomes–there was simply no difference between the two groups. ”

In other words, Sarah Palin’s “faith” in abstinence only education is really no different than Joe Biden’s supposed “faith” in comprehensive contraception education. If one disqualifies Palin, the other disqualifies Biden – and please, don’t point to the example of Palin’s own daughter as a counterargument because I could point to many teenage pregnant woman in my neighborhood that went through the comprehensive contraception education just the same.

Regarding political elites and Republicans – granted, nobody claimed otherwise. In fact, that is why I like Palin: she is specifically not an elite, and is the closest to middle America than any other president or VP in my lifetime. With that said though, I do consider GWB less of an elite than say Al Gore (arguably the poster boy of elitism) and I do consider conservative elites infinitely better than liberal elites (atleast conservative elites confess to an ideology that limits their political power).

One final point in case I was vague earlier (I am a former ESL student), I don’t want to make the impression that I don’t care about education, Harvard or otherwise. My point is not that Harvard does not matter or that it is a negative. My point was merely that “wisdom” is much more than a degree. True wisdom comes from <i>both</i> schooling and life. One is not more important than the other. They are two sides to the same coin (though, I do believe, politically, conservatives value a bit more the “school of hard knocks” and liberals value a bit more the ivy league degree). Yes, Palin may not have the upper hand on what school she went to, but she does, IMHO, have the upper hand on life experiences and her experiences show her to be a woman of character and conviction. This advantage over her opponents makes her just as qualified as their advantage in schooling does – that’s my point.

Oh yeah, and unlike Hillary Clinton and most of the “feminist” you find acceptable, Palin did not reach her status on the back of some man – she did it herself.

Michaelr,

What would I do without you? You, liberal you, help make my point so much stronger.