¡Maquillaje!

October 24th, 2008 · 7 Comments

I love makeup as much as many women do, but I about spilled my coffee this morning when I heard that McCain’s campaign spent $22,800 in the first two weeks of October for Governor Sarah Palin’s makeup stylist. Makeup stylist Amy Strozzi was the highest paid staffer working for McCain during this critical period of McCain’s presidential campaign. Forget the high level strategists, PR people, or policy analysts… the high dollar prize went to the makeup artist! I keep hearing about how attractive Palin is from men all over the political spectrum, but if she’s so hot, why does she need $22K for makeup styling? We all know the power of well applied makeup, but please! This ridiculous expense tells me a lot about this campaign’s priorities, especially when McCain made a big stink about suspending his campaign last month because of the financial crisis. Financial crisis be damned when you have to focus on the more important things like makeup, right?

Tags: John McCain · Presidential Elections · Sarah Palin

• 1 MgF // Oct 24, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Hmmm…this certainly doesn’t sound like the behavior of “hockey moms” or “joe six-pack” now does it? If I were a Republican (shuddering at the thought) I’d be outraged, and its funny whenever they’ve been asked about this (most recently the amount spent on her wardrobe) they skate around the subject. Geez, how shocking!

• 2 Mexitli // Oct 24, 2008 at 2:53 pm

This is neither illegal or unethical. In fact, I think it is sexist. Campbell Brown on CNN touched on this briefly before she began her rant.

Aslo, I’m a Democrat and I don’t mind how the RNC or the McCain campaign squanders its money.

• 3 BettyM // Oct 24, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I agree with Mexitli. I think McCain really thought that good looks would hide the flaws in his campaign. Well! So much for the lipstick!!!

• 4 Linda // Oct 24, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Apparently the only difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull isn’t just lipstick but $22,800 of makeup…

• 5 barnyard // Oct 24, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I saw your post about Sarah Palin’s high paid makeup artist. But not sure if you also saw that she had another makeup artist, Tracy Thorp reported in the RNC filings, who has a tax lien of $145,718 (hey, just like Joe “The Plumber”!). What’s with these guys? One thing to not want higher taxes – quite another not to pay them at all.
    This was posted yesterday on Martin Eisenstadt’s blog:

BTW, this was the same guy who’s a McCain advisor who tries to campaign for the Latino vote in LA, and at first can’t find any. It’s in a hysterical series of BBC videos called “The Last Republican”:

• 6 Jesus (Hay-soos) // Oct 25, 2008 at 12:20 am

That sure is some expensive lipstick! (for that pig)

I’m waiting to read what will be revealed next from the GOP expense sheet. Botox anyone?
    That’s my guess.

• 7 Michaelr // Oct 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm

McCain was so confident he could parade Caribou Barbie in all the red states and no one would ever question his decision. The GOP’s gamble that the America voter is more obsessed with superficiality and consumerism than substance has truly backfired in all the states where people obviously read books. Sarah Palin would’ve achieved a partial victory had she simply said “I don’t know,” or just smiled rather than attempt to answer any questions. That way she could’ve sparked that bit of mystery that is always good for eight to twelve months of mass appeal. However, the empty space between her ears has revealed there’s really nothing working upstairs. And no amount of makeup is going to hide that.