Congressman Joe Baca’s son in the news again — this time Jeremy Baca is the target of negative mail pieces!

November 2nd, 2008 · 13 Comments

Let this be a lesson to all aspiring Latino politicians, especially the younger ones. Please, please, please don’t drink and drive! If you are going to drink, use a designated driver or set aside some cash for a cab. Political opponents will dig through everything to discredit you, and most all of us don’t have wealth like the Bushes, Kennedys, or Gores to make these indiscretions disappear or seem like minor mistakes.

Jeremy Baca, Congressman Joe Baca’s son, is finding that his past offenses are haunting him in his current run for the city council in Colton, California. Yes, a run for Colton City Council, a small blighted community of about 47,000 outside of San Bernardino, CA — you would think that maybe Jeremy could skate by without criticisms for his prior arrests as it might give him more street credibility, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Check out the latest mailer that Joe Baca’s kid is having to confront.

Jeremy Baca told the The Press-Enterprise, “When you’re campaigning, you should talk about your own merits. When you’re knocking on a door, talking to a resident or sending out a piece of mail … I sent out mailers talking about my vision for Colton — taking care of the graffiti problem, bringing in senior housing, public safety. None of my mailers have mentioned my opponents.” That’s fine and dandy, but negative campaigning is effective.

Last year, Jeremy Baca ran for the Colton City Council and only earned 25% of the vote. I did a Google search for him trying to figure out what he does for a living, and I found this article that says he works in public relations. It also looks like he has an empty Linked-In profile, calling himself the CEO of NJB Associates. Who wants to be that the N in NJB stands for his sister Natalie? The  JB could easily be Jeremy or either of the Joe Bacas. For me, the troubling thing about Jeremy Baca’s arrest record is that these indiscretions occurred when he was in his 30s. He’s a little old for these kinds of run ins with the law, and he needs to remember that the voting public is less forgiving of mistakes made by non-whites.

Tags: Congressman Joe Baca · Substance Abuse and Latinos

• 1 Michaelr // Nov 2, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Jeremy Baca’s brief interlude with Southern California Edison didn’t produce any admirers, and the time there didn’t display any kind of work ethic. Mention his name there, and lots of people start laughing. The city of Colton doesn’t deserve this man, much in the same way the California Congressional 43rd district doesn’t deserve his father. Is the local Democratic Party so depleted of talent that they have to support borderline idiots to maintain some form of political influence in San Bernardino County?

• 2 El Cholo // Nov 2, 2008 at 6:56 pm

This is the Latino George W. Bush without the pedigree.

• 3 Bearguez // Nov 2, 2008 at 7:17 pm

This man makes “W” look like a genius. And he is totally devoid of any likeable character. Jeremy can not chew gum and even think at the same time. He is nothing but a manicured cholo. The local Republican Party will have a field day with this sorry excuse of a human being.

• 4 theKaiser // Nov 2, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Why would any parent throw their child to the wolves? Especially this child? Working Joe Caca must be not only blind, deaf and dumb…as well as utterly stupid to think the other political opponents wouldn’t use this information against Jeremy. And why would you elect a human being who has all these character issues to serve as a public official? This says a lot about Joe Baca’s ability to think and walk at the same time. Jeremy belongs at home, sleeping in late, eating his mom’s cooking, and watching network television. He is not remotely qualified to be a public servant, and his behavior indicates he is not even qualified to be a good citizen.

• 5 DoctorH // Nov 3, 2008 at 11:18 am

The Republican Party has finally distributed a hit piece that is truthful. Who would’ve dreamed of that, given all the lies they have manufactured in the past? And why is Joe Baca throwing his son Jeremy out there, given all the character issues and his limited intelligence? Don’t you want the best and the brightest representing the community? People like this convey to the political community that the Latino community may be large in numbers, but very short on leaders and brains.

• 6 the Alcalde // Nov 3, 2008 at 12:35 pm

The Alcalde says-

I have spent several hours reading through this blog and I am very impressed. So impressed, I am beginning to wonder if the people behind Latinopoliticsblog.com are actually Latinos. So if you are…bravo to you and your organization for discarding the sheep mentality that inhibits so much of the Latino community, and taking the high road to inform us of the political abuses of our elected officials, especially our non-performing, lazy and stupid Latino politicians, and the so-called self-serving non-profits masquerading as civil rights organizations. And you wonder why we are always at the bottom looking up. These articles on the Bacas are truly informative. I especially enjoyed your comments on MALDEF and the NCLR. The Latino community needs to know about the charlatan persona of these organizations.

• 7 wendy carrillo // Nov 6, 2008 at 11:38 am

To the Alcade, the author behind these posts is in fact a strong intelligent Latina. One thing I have always admired about this blog is the innate ability to be truthful about the reality of Latino politics.
    I don’t know too much about Colton or Jeremy Baca, but wow, people who do know him don’t seem to have the greatest of opinions.
    The larger point is, who trains and develops the future leaders of our community?

• 8 Michaelr // Nov 6, 2008 at 3:32 pm

The United Farm Workers Union turned out the last great Latino leader, Cesar Chavez. But the last two union organizers to rise up the political ranks have been huge disappointments, despite their humble beginnings.

• 9 webmaster // Nov 6, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I think that a truly grassroots organizer like Cesar Chavez was cannot be equated to a Congressman or City Councilmember, but you do have a point about union organizing being an avenue for future leaders.

• 10 Keith A. Johnson // Jul 28, 2009 at 6:20 am

I have 26-years volunteering in the prisons and working with at risk youth and if this is the way self-righteous people treat Jeremy Bace, what am I to expect for those who I re-direct to a viturous life? After All, King David, Moses and Saul/Paul were all murders and God used them. I will take Jeremy any day. I ran for Congress in 2002 against Congressman Lewis and my life is not spotless, as I am sure neither are yours. This hatred of the Baca’s is unneccessary, especially, having to drag in his daughter. I have heard her sing and play here trumpet many times and she does a fine job. She has worked hard developing her talent. My wife teaches voice and guitar and my wife would love to have her as a student, because she applies herself. There is some repenting that needs to be done. As a former Marine, from these negative comments, I would not want to share a foxhole with any of you who have to attack people, because I now know my back would never be safe. Our government is set up to allow the lowliest to seek to serve. It is not to exclude, but to include. I thank all of the Bacas who have chose to run, I have been there. You are out there walking precincts, attending clubs, unions, and various organizations seeking endorsements. Putting your family our there for sick people to smear and even putting your life on the line, to be assisinated. Try finding 10 things to say that are nice about people and this world would be a better place. I feel safer in the prisons than with many professed self-righteous hypocrites that are this side of the barbed wire fences. Try to do something constructive. When I ran against Lewis, my only statement to and about him was: “He is in my way.” I ran my campaign on issues, not having to attack individuals. I lost, but not at the risk of sacrificing my morals. Try it, you may learn to like people…especially, those who have fallen down. Help them up, instead of kicking them when they are down.

PS Those who attacked Jennifer, owe her an apology, she never did anything to any of you.

• 11 LUCIANO A. SARTORESI III // Jul 30, 2009 at 1:09 am

I am agreeing with El Acalde that you fools at latinopoliticsblog.com are Cesspool Latinos …your Low Life Cucaracha culo did not put your name or names down any where, but did throw a lot of caca around at will like you have Personal Issues with Papa Joe, and is taking it out on Papa Joe’s Familia…I know Joe and I had my own issues with Papa Joe, but in front of his face and to him, not like you who hides behind your key board some where in Bora Bora Hilton…your cheap ass has a lot of guts talking about Jeremy Drinking Driving, besides you Fool, how many of the cowards at hole in the wall at that Anti-Baca cesspool drive around after drinking a few, your day will come!

I am also agreeing with that Keith Johnson, of your punk ass attacks on Jennifer she is giving all from her heart for her Father’s Friends, and you throw stones at her…hay Wino I like to hear your drunks ass sing with Jennifer and your big mouth can show us how good you are…so far you have talk crap about papa Joe, Joe Jar, his Brother Jeremy, Natalie and Lil Jennifer…
    The only one you have not talk crap about is Barbara Baca, she is a wonderful Wife, Mother and Lady and the day you do talk crazy her, I will go to see you to your face and then you can tell mi to my face why are you talking crap about her and I kid you not…I am not a computer screen, something life are not free and let’s call it understood, if Papa Joe did that you, be at his home, I am talk to you like you are and, you a Tough Bitch as far as know!

People who live in glass house should not throw from with in their house, I am going fine out who you are and bring all the caca I fine on your donkey ass y tu Familia and see how you like it…you toilet paper!

Who said Mexicans couldn’t sing the Blues…you be known ass Howling Pig!

You Rip what you Sow and there is a God up Above and you don’t have a Heaven or a Hell to put anyone into and don’t you ever forget that!
    Luciano Angelo…H.I.A.
    I am A Tico from Costa Rica…But Chicano!

• 12 webmaster // Jul 30, 2009 at 7:48 am

Luciano, if you read the original blog post, the webmaster did not refer to Jennifer Baca.

Why do you think Joe Baca’s adult son has an arrest record? You obviously seem to know these people.

• 13 Keith A. Johnson // Jul 30, 2009 at 8:21 am

Luciano was not referring to Jr. , but to Jeremy, but there was a quote that made fun of Jennifer’s singing, which was not called for at all.

I worked at the Gas Company, and there is lots of hating and backbiting there, too, but overall a great bunch of people to work with, so the whacks on Jeremy from Edison is uncalled for. Jeremy is a decent human being. If I can get my parolees to Jeremy was at, they would feel like they just climbed Mt. Everest in character growth. If Jennifer and Jeremy are not safe from haters, what can I expect for my guys who I am trying to get to assimilate back into society.

Jeremy never took the savings and loans, or sucked us dry on oil prices. So, just give it a rest.