Mayor Villaraigosa says that Esteban Nuñez is “a great kid, a good boy” — do you agree?

December 4th, 2008 · 76 Comments

While Esteban Nuñez and his “Hazard Crew” friends who were arrested on Tuesday contemplate their next move, we noticed earlier today that the myspace page for “EsTeBaN” has been taken down. Fortunately, we saved almost all of the pictures, and there certainly are some disturbing ones. Mayor Villaraigosa even told the LA Times the following: “I’ve known him since he was a little boy. He’s a great kid, a good boy.”

So while former California Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez’s friends and political allies try to put a positive spin on this tragedy, I thought that I would let you, the readers of LatinoPoliticsBlog, decide if you would call the alleged perpetrator ”a great kid.”

These photos were on Esteban Nuñez’s myspace account:

Showing off the ink:

Tormenting animals:

Mexico ’07:

Posing with Camaro:

Sacramento Boys (estilo Pachuco):

CalState (but reppin’ the OC):

“Beat your pet,” but let’s look stoned:

High five for the doobie:

Showing more ink and muscle — but don’t forget the bottle:

Trashing someone’s motorcycle:

Posing like a “gangsta” yet again:

But Papi is friends with Mayor Villaraigosa (taken at his parents’ second wedding in 2005, note how he wears the baseball cap backwards for a formal event! How classy):

Let this be a lesson to all parents, and especially those who are public figures, monitor your children’s online profiles. If your child has no shame in presenting him or herself in such a tasteless and crude manner, then you really need to rethink your role as a parent and have a heart to heart talk with your kid. These myspace pages and facebook profiles are open to the public. People post messages, pictures, and reveal their stupidity at their own risk. If your child is under 21 and holding beer cans and liquor bottles, don’t go on assuming that he’s a “good boy” or a “great kid.” Same goes for holding knives and stabbing animals — if you are so heartless and cruel to a little animal, how far of a stretch is it to believe that the person holding a knife aimed at a small creature would hurt a human?

And to my fellow Latinos and Latinas out there, partying it up in college, posting incriminating pictures on myspace and facebook of yourselves throwing up, drinking, smoking marijuana, flashing your new tattoos, and hurting animals, please reconsider sharing your escapades with the world. We desperately need educated professionals, people who will become leaders, doctors, scientists, engineers and more. You not only shame yourself and your family when you behave like a thug, you shame our people. And you make it that much harder for the rest of us who are trying to educate ourselves, stay out of trouble, and earn our way professionally with diligence and dedication to change perceptions about our community.

Tags: Antonio Villaraigosa · Crime · Fabian Núñez

• 1 MgF // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:05 am

You’ve pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say. This behavior is shameful, and completely unacceptable. All of this because they were denied entry to a fraternity party? I’m also pretty sure that he and his “homies” will be quick to rat eachother out in order to help themselves.

Obviously these photos are out there for everyone to see, and they will most likely come back to hurt him.

• 2 JAB // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:55 am

Thank you for posting this blog. The dude is a piece of sh*t. His father is a crook as well.
    Too bad they both can’t rot in Jail together.
    This kid makes me sick.
    I hope he enjoys giving head in prison.

• 3 soledadenmasa // Dec 4, 2008 at 11:37 am

Good post, you summarized everything I feel about my fellow Chicano/Latino college students (I’m 19, too). I see pictures with alcohol up way too often and I shake my head and laugh. Once something is on the internet, it sure as hell is not leaving.

Esteban was clearly part of a gang, based on the definition the police in my neighborhood used. They share tattoos, have a name, and congregate together. The last bit was enough for cops to stop people, often for no reason.

• 4 jammer // Dec 4, 2008 at 11:50 am

if you have these pictures you can be sure the DA’s office in San Diego has them and will exploit them to their advantage. I don’t begrudge Daddy Nunez his ability to wield his power , wealth and influence to protect his child. I would do the same. However, it seems both daddy and son are totally irresponsible self centered people who don’t have a sense of being part of a community and giving to that community. From what I observed from Daddy Nunez while he was in the assembly was that he was pretty much self serving and a taker. I never felt that he had a connection to the constituents he served…, but he sure looked good doing it. His son appears of the same ilk, and both see it as their entitlement. Finally if I never hear about either one of these two bozos again, it’s fine with me. The world would be a better plce without them

• 5 Mayor of Concord // Dec 4, 2008 at 12:31 pm

His MySpace profile has been deleted along with the others involved. I grabbed pieces of his profile for my article also. I can’t imagine that any of these pictures are going to make the defense any easier especially with all the coverage they are getting.

• 6 Friend of Luis // Dec 4, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Glad this was posted! I hope they all rot in prison for the rest of thier lives for taking such a wonderful person away. RIP LUIS SANTOS

Luis
    So sweet, so young
    A brother, a son
    A friend to many
    A smile of gold
    You could just grab and hold
    He made people laugh
    He made people smile
    He was even a pain, once in a while
    Wouldn’t hurt a fly.
    So we ask ourselves why?
    Why Luis
    So sweet, so unique
    How could they take such a beautiful person?
    Did they have any idea of how many people they were hurting?
    All he wanted was to succeed and have fun
    I mean my god, his life just begun
    He got taken, away
    In one single day
    I just want to say
    It can happen to any of us
    So lets keep are heads up and never judge
    There is no need for violence
    Why cant sometimes we just be silent
    So don’t take life for granted
    Each breath, is a gift, let’s remember this
    Let’s live life right
    And hopefully we will make it threw the nights
    Luis was always happy
    So this is probably, hard for him to see
    So lets smile for him and put him at peace
    Let’s let him spread those beautiful angel wings
    And let him take over and guide us threw are dreams
    Lets think of all the good time
    There’s so many
    So everybody lets get ready
    Because Luis is going to be with us
    For the, rest of are journeys.
    By: Natalie Ocasio

R.I.P. Luis Felipe Watson Dos Santos

An Angel was born let’s in brace him.

• 7 Michaelr // Dec 4, 2008 at 1:04 pm

This is a great opinion piece. You are addressing one of the social and cultural aliments that plague the Latino Community. You are performing a great public service. Don’t stop here.

• 8 michelle // Dec 4, 2008 at 1:22 pm

thank you for who ever found these pic. now it can not be ignored or down played. Stabbing a fuckin cat – are you kidding me? This kid is straight from hell and he is goin right back where he came from. fuck the hazard crew you guys think tattoos and stabbing cats is what life is about you got a nother thing commin you fake as wanna be gangsters!!

• 9 NatalieO // Dec 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm

You really did sum it all up very well! I don’t have anything to add but I completely agree. I’m actually the age of the parents in this case (probably – I don’t really know how old FabNun is but he looks about my age) and I’m so disgusted at the crappy fathering job he’s done. I always thought he looked like a slime mold.

It’s just my opinion but the cat stabbing picture is probably fake. Nevertheless, it’s a disgusting thing to even pretend. All of the pictures you’ve saved (good thinking!) paint a vivid picture of an unbelievable jerk.

• 10 Anna // Dec 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Fabian Nunez is no longer in the Assembly, so this is topic is not about Latino politics.

Can’t you ever write about anything positive?!

• 11 webmaster // Dec 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Anna,

Just read the previous blog post re: Bill Richardson. I even titled it “positive news.”

I don’t feel the need to sugar coat things. Why should we not talk about this tragedy and the implications that it has for Latino leadership?

Fabian Nuñez has expressed that he might return to politics. He is still a very public figure. People didn’t stop talking about Bill Clinton when he was termed out.

Don’t you think that working as a lobbyist in Sacramento qualifies Fabian Nuñez to be a “political” figure? But maybe in your world, lobbying is somehow not political.

• 12 Anna // Dec 4, 2008 at 3:59 pm

What good does it do to publish these stupid photos?

Why don’t you write about something that isn’t in the gutter?

Just a thought.

• 13 webmaster // Dec 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Anna,

These photos show us a lot about who Fabian Nuñez is and to a certain extent reveal something about the feelings of Mayor Villaraigosa. The most high profile Latino Mayor in the United States felt compelled to say that this young man was a great kid. Why not show everyone exactly what he was referring to? This isn’t gutter to some people. Perhaps for Villaraigosa and Nuñez both, this is acceptable in their own world view.

Why are you so bothered? You never comment on some of the positive posts on this site. You only come out to condemn what you perceive as being gutter. Maybe I should direct you to these posts, where we have highlighted positive things done by our Latino leadership:

Last time I checked Mel Martinez and Bill Richardson weren’t “in the gutter,” and I wrote posts about both of them this week. :)

• 14 Sheila // Dec 4, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I do believe this article is very positive – you are encouraging your community to rise above, to improve themselves. I do not see anything negative about what you are writing.

Hopefully, lessons will be learned from this very, very sad story and other tragedies can be prevented.

• 15 Anna // Dec 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm

These pictures don’t tell us anything about anybody except for the people who are in them. I seriously doubt that anybody thinks this behavior is acceptable.

• 16 Sheila // Dec 4, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Well Mayor Villaraigosa, Fabian Nuñez, and the alleged criminal are in the last picture. That says a lot. The kid cannot even look presentable for a wedding and the girl next to him is flashing gang signs. But I guess you are comfortable with that.

• 17 soledadenmasa // Dec 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Oh, Anna…

Just because he is no longer in the Assembly does not mean he is now out of the public eye and therefore not a subject to be covered. He was one of the most powerful politicians in the state of California and the most powerful Latino politician in California for the past four years. It’s important to keep an eye out on people who leave elected office because they join PR firms or are appointed to offices while they wait for the next elected office they want (a guarantee because of California’s term limits laws).

It is a disservice if this blog only covered “positive” stories. The negative is just as valid a perspective and merits to be read.

• 18 Scott // Dec 4, 2008 at 6:10 pm

This article is well written and hits the nail on the head.

Anna- I don’t understand why you are more interested in the relevancy of Fabian Nunez to politics than the reality of how this reflects on Latino leadership.

Both Mr. Nunez and Mayor Villaraigosa are major figures in California and US politics. It is a reality that the management of their personal lives reflect how they will manage their political careers. Not addressing the negatives does not make it go away- it allows the problems to perpetuate.

The self-serving entitled perspective shows that Latinos are not immune from the same corruption from power as everyone else. This brand of “Latino Leadership” does not represent the Latino families of our community, let alone constituents which they were elected to serve.

• 19 XicanoPwr // Dec 4, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Anna: True, Fabian Nunez may no longer be in the Assembly, but I do have to disagree with you, this topic has a lot to do about Latino politics.

As we currently speak the Congressional Hispanic Caucus has forward Fabian name to Obama’s transition team. Whether this blog brings it up or not, it will eventually be brought up.

What is disturbing are the pictures with the animals. Speaking as a person with an advance degree in mental health counseling, acts of cruelty to animals are not mere indications of a minor personality flaw; they are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance.

It is a known fact in the counseling world, people who abuse animals are five times more likely to commit a violent crime than people who have never committed such abuse.

Unfortunately, Luis Santos death could have been avoided if Esteban’s parents would have caught the signs early on. Believe, you don’t just pick up the habit suddenly, this is behavior that has been developing since his youth.

• 20 Gustavo Arellano // Dec 4, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Adriana: When people start whining to a writer that all they do is write negative stories, all that means is that you’re on the right path. Great work, and keep it up.

• 21 Leonard Nadler // Dec 4, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I am not a Latino but do appreciate the honest criticism that appears to be the overwhelming opinion on the Latino (and any other responsible) community.

• 22 DoctorH // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Now judge for yourself from this link how the San Diego Police department honored Fabian Nunez’s requests to delay arresting his son for sixty days until he could officially separate himself from the State Assembly.

You can bet Luis Santos’s murder will be trampled altogether in court.

• 23 Jamal // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Typical Latino tribal behavior.. Where do they learn this?

• 24 chorizo // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Stabbing frogs,? These are sick, good for nothing, violent loser young adults. The children of sick, lying, stealing, cheating, loser parents.

• 25 chorizo // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Say what Mayor V.? A good kid ? Please define “good.”

• 26 jason larimore // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:34 pm

I see this vapid, souless,behavioreverywhere and it saddens me ….It breaks my heart.
    if my son acted in this manner and did this murder I would have taken him out myself not make excuses. I hope there will be swift and corporal justice

• 27 Bearguez // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:34 pm

What would Villaraigosa know about that? He couldn’t see an eighteen wheeler coming if the lights were flashing. This is just another one of those stupid Ronald Reagan type remarks he’s using to provide misdirection for his inability to effectively manage the City of Los Angeles.

Fabian Nunez and his wife enabled this young man to be this thug. This is one of the end results of spoiling your children, and not teaching them simple economics early on. This doesn’t happen overnight. You really have to have serious self-esteem problems to choose to empower yourself by portraying the criminal. All that money spent on private schools just went down the toilet. This now marks the low level of Esteban’s intelligence. How Fabian Nunez will weasel out of this responsibility will be interesting.

• 28 Marshall Bills // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:41 pm

All we are going to hear about is Esteban Nunex. I hear that the kid he may have been involved in killing WAS a good kid. He will become a shadow and then forgotten, and it will all be about Esteban and how he had a bad childhood. Wait and see.

• 29 Dave // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:44 pm

….there is going to be lot of stabbing & poking going on at where he’s headed and it’s going to be him who’s going to be doing it. Prisoners will love wanna be gangsters who have high political connections.

• 30 Marshall Bills // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Nunez. Sorry.

• 31 Juan // Dec 4, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Firstable, I never went to school to learn english and I’m not very well writing english, but I will try. As a hispanic, I apologize to the american people for the destruction we are causing to this beautifull country, let me tell you what I think we are importing into this country: Gangs, graphite, corrupted policticians, drugs, killers, social services abusers, etc,etc…..
    Who I blame for allowing all this to happen? You the american people, yes,you….Let me tell why you the American people: You have voted for politicians that only care about themselves, they don’t care about you, they only care about you when they’re running for any goverment position and what they want is your vote (i.e. Arnold S, Antonio VillaGAYroza, Nunez and others), I am not smart, to love this country I don’t need to be. Let me tell you what one hispanic is doing to save your country: As hispanic-american citizen I can vote, but on Nov. 4, I didn’t vote for any of those two open borders presidential candidates, those two idiots don’t care if your son is killeb by an illegal gang member or killed by a politician’s son, I called and E-mail those bastards in Washington and sacramento to let them know if they don’t close the borders and if they vote in favor of amnesty, don’t count with my vote, I talk with my friends at work about all what is going wrong with my country, I try to educate this people and I ask them what kind of future they want for their sons and grandsons, let me tell you, is hard to educate this people, but I don’t give up, I have to fight for the good of the country I adopted as my country. Again, I apologize for causing the destruction of the greatest country in the world, USA. It’s not too late yet to bring this country back to what is AMERICA and you the American people count with my support, even if I have to die bleeding on the street to save this great country. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

• 32 Tina // Dec 4, 2008 at 9:07 pm

“A good kid” maybe when he was an infant. I don’t know all of the information on this case, (I live in CO) but based on the pics and the comments left on this blog, he most definitely has some issues. Cruelty to animals is one thing, his gang involvement is something else, not to mention the drugs and alcohol. Sounds like his parents have no clue what is going on with this kid. This is very sad that those pics were out there for all to see in cyberspace. It gives a very disturbing view of young latinos. Esp. one from a “Prominant family”. The family pic had gang signs in it. It is almost as if this political family condones the gang liefestyle???

• 33 The Judge & Jury // Dec 4, 2008 at 9:43 pm

lock ‘em all up and make them share a cell with some REAL hardcore gang bangers in folsom or san quienton. let him go in as esteban and have him die in there as “estella.”

• 34 Paul // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Very well-written article. I think the pictures are extremely relevant because, clearly, the kid is not a “good” boy. I did some really stupid things in college myself, but I never trashed someone’s vehicle, I never harmed an animal, and I never allegedly killed anyone; just as germane, neither did any of my friends. It’s clear to me that the Mayor is helping out a friend and I get that, but it’s myopic-thinking in my view because most people are going to hear / read his comments and do a double-take. It doesn’t do anything to further progress in the Latino community or the perception of it.

• 35 gp // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:05 pm

nunez you midget, i hope you get what is coming to you. hey pappy nunez, father of the year award on rhe way no doubt. and finally tony villar do you have to weigh in on EVERYTHING, you and pappy need to vanish

• 36 dave // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Hey, its Villaretardo’s wedding who else would you expect to be there…. Congrats, and hey lets throw up our set. Have fun in the pen man, and don’t drop the soap.

• 37 guy // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm

“I admire you for publishing this post and calling attention to something that is very important in the Latino communities.”
    I’ll go a step further and hope all of you can realize something, (if you live here) This nation is not a Latino nation , it’s not an Anglo nation, etc. its an American nation.
    I admire you for calling attention to something that is very important in the AMERICAN community. Remember your roots of course, but if you or anyone is going to survive, we have to stop segregating issues. Take responsibility of course but these issues have no community boundaries. They effect all of us, and its good to see some honesty and action.
    One thing that people do not seem to understand is that there is a movement to divide EVERYone in this country for the benefit of the politicians. We have to put a stop to it.
    somewhat off subject but it needs to be said.
    thanks

• 38 rachel // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm

This is Los Angeles today…we are led by an ex-gang member mayor and the kids of some of our politicians are in gangs too. Real class.

No wonder we are bankrupted and doomed. This used to be a great state…now it’s a stinking toilet.

• 39 TN // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Alot of Mexicans are uncivilized dirtbags who think this is the Wild West. The majority of reported gun crime involves Mexicans i.e. the Toys R Us incident; the Bolonga family in San Francisco and on and on and on and on. All of you filthy Mexicans (and all varieties of dirty South Americans) – you are nothing short of a blight on the American landscape. Thanks for making America a third world ghetto!!

• 40 Jorge // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I am so sad for the family that lost their son. I am my kids dad and it brings me great pain in thinking of ever losing my son to such a malice crime. Regardless of how busy one must be with work, it is imparative to have observation of our kids and activities they engage. I find it difficult to believe that Fabian Nunez is so blind in thinking that his son is a good kid. Perhaps Fabian should have listened Dr. Laura and been more responsible over his sons activities. I sure the latin community would be under a better review.

• 41 guy // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:38 pm

“It is unfortunate there is a double standard between gringos and minorities, since we can bring up every criminal activity from the Bush kid’s from W to Jeb to Marvin. Their parents will all get a pass, unlike Fabian.”
    It may appear this way but if I stabbed someone, (I’m the gringo singular) -I will ROT IN PRISON…ain’t no one gonna save my a white ass,
    You have apparently confused the Bush family with gringos,, not the same animal,,,,Nobody gets treatment like the current administration.
    What you see with bush my friend is pure CORRUPTION. no white people I know give him or any of them a pass,,,it’s just that we have let our country fall into the hands of the WRONG people.,,, (don’t think Obama will change that either, it will just be his turn to be corrupt)
    Unfortunately most of these politicians have smiled their way into office and no matter what color your skin is,, WE WILL ALL pay the price,,
    we need to stop dividing ourselves. Great article.

• 42 rachel // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:53 pm

There is no political corruption like Los Angeles corruption…except for Chicago which or course takes the cake. You will figure that out after a couple years with ACORN’s Obama in office. Leopards never change their spots.

• 43 Bill // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I think I have to agree with Anna that these pictures are only hurtful. When I see these pictures I feel hate and anger. Both of these emotions can blur our perspective and prevent us from feeling more positive emotions, obviously not towards the accuse but to the families of the victims. Answer me this: When you saw the pictures did you feel more empathy or sympathy towards the family of the victims or did it make you hate Nunez even more?

• 44 soledadenmasa // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Webmaster, can you close the comments before they degenerate even further?

• 45 dishout // Dec 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm

utterly senseless acts. stop postings.

• 46 Karloz // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:36 am

The first picture of all, look the lady, I think after of that picture was taken, those jeans went all the way down to her ankles. waooo, can she afford all those thugs?

• 47 karina // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:39 am

Oh yeaa…She’s in trouble too, with her parents, jijijiji……

• 48 cynthia // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:40 am

No, Webmaster cant, its called freedom of speech!

• 49 cynthia // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:43 am

What r you all taking about!!! This is a free country and if you cant think past photos to the truth please grow up and grow a brain!!!! Bunch of sissys!!!!

• 50 J from L.A // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:47 am

This is a great piece, I think it has everything to do with his dad and his carreer, He is not capable of seeing his son is a thug! You want this guy representing you ? I don’t. I can honestly say as a mexican american father I am ashamed of how we are being looked at in the media cause of this. It must be in our genes to be criminals, Even when daddy is a famous politician he can’t keep his son from being hood! Or should I say a vato loco from Sac Town! Horale carnal! What an Idiot.

• 51 Michaelr // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:49 am

The last three comments sound like AM Radio banter. Can you clarify what you’re trying to actually say so we can contribute to the discussion?

• 52 Michaelr // Dec 5, 2008 at 1:05 am

J from LA: Most politicians are criminals…mostly white-collar criminals; nevertheless they perform thefts in the gray areas that make their crimes somewhat ambiguous to the vast majority of voting citizens. Fabian Nunez has made a career of fleecing the public through his political associations with Chevron and AT&T. His public service record has made him a wealthy man. That is always the first warning sign that someone is profiting from his office. He may have been so focused on his thefts that he didn’t realize his oldest son was a cholito. However, the mother knew her oldest child was a thug. You can’t hide that fact from a mother. But of course, she remedied that reality by spending more time at the mall.

• 53 TruthSquad // Dec 5, 2008 at 1:20 am

Glad to see so many think the way someone looks in a photo makes them guilty. How sad that stones are being cast based on myspace photos. Can we possibly let the justice system take its course before rendering this 19-year old guilty.

Not sure what planet a lot of commenters here are living on, but you can be a great parent and still have kids that make bad decisions. It’s fascinating how quickly the parents are being blamed for the actions/photos of a 19 year old adult.

Fabian Nunez got more done in five years than most politicians do in a lifetime. And he never forgot his roots: his last big push was for the UFW. He’s not associated with Chevron, and the ATT bill he sponsored provides Latinos with more access to telecommunications at lower costs than ever before.

• 54 Michaelr // Dec 5, 2008 at 1:50 am

Thank you TruthSquad…or should we call you Fabian Nunez’s in house counsel…since you are obviously being paid to make these comments. And since you evidently raised yourself and don’t have any children that you know of, you can’t possible know the maternal influence a mother has especially on her male children. Children are a reflection of their parents. Some more…and some less. We can all agree that Esteban is not very bright; however he is certainly a reflection of his parents, their values, and their environment.

You can continue to promote your fiction regarding Fabian Nunez’s public contributions to the Latino community. All those trips abroad that Chevron financed for Fabian weren’t for free, and those lobbyists who wrote the AT&T bill were not Latinos, and are not in the business to give freebies to Latinos. Regarding the UFW, he didn’t push very hard, now did he?

• 55 Hard Worker // Dec 5, 2008 at 2:09 am

Why do Caucasians feel the need to seperate themselves from other european and latin american groups because of politics in the first place.?

besides that anyone with half a Brain who would like to be involved in politics would not let their son run around or be raised like this – to act like this or even to have a tattoo

• 56 lauren // Dec 5, 2008 at 8:36 am

this guy is a punk and so are the rest of those kids. i hope they all get whats comming to them.

• 57 Erik // Dec 5, 2008 at 10:06 am

Hey now, isn’t the drinking age in Mexico 18? But he went there last year…Hmmm.

• 58 Sandogg // Dec 5, 2008 at 10:16 am

I just found out about this blog yesterday, and I am totally grateful to find that there are actually latinos out there that I can agree with. I hate using the word “latino” because I consider myself an American of Mexican descent. I am totally proud of my heritage, so lets not go down that road. I’m tired of being embarrassed of these idiots who keep getting elected to public office, then wind up embarrassing us with their stupid and greedy antics. Examples?

Villaraigosa – National embarrassment

Ralph Inzunza – SD City Councilman convicted in strippergate bribery scandal

Nick Inzunza – Ralph’s brother and National City mayor/slumlord decided not to run for 79th disctrict seat due to bad publicity

Uvaldo Martinez – Forced to resign from SD City council because he could not stop stuffing his fat face using his city credit card.

There are many more bad examples, but there are an overwhelming amount of Hispanic politicians that we can actually be proud of.

With regard to Nunez and his tenure in the assembly, good or bad, remember that everything he did, good or bad, was ultimately in his best interest. Where did that leave his kid? Neglected. Nunez was not much older than Esteban when he had him, 21 or 22? His mother basically raised the kid alone while Fabian was off furthering his career, rubbing elbows with those capable of furthering his career, and banging Mirthala Salinas, then passing her off to Tony Villar when he was done with her.

• 59 XicanoPwr // Dec 5, 2008 at 10:37 am

cynthia – before casting judgment, how about using a spell check before hitting the submit button. Since it is the holidays, I willing to help you out a bit. The proper spelling for “sissys” is sissies.

Lesson to be learn, this is why getting an edumacation is important. ;-)

• 60 cv // Dec 5, 2008 at 10:48 am

The legal system will pass its own judgement, in the meantime everyone else can say whatever they want.

• 61 Sandogg // Dec 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

XicanoPwr: “how about using a spell check”?

“Since it is the holidays, I willing to help you out a bit.”

I guess we were not as fortunate to receive an “edumacation” such as yours. LOL!

• 62 webmaster // Dec 5, 2008 at 11:14 am

I am going to close comments on this blog post. If you want to continue discussing this case, there is a new blog post here:

I do want to encourage people to express their feelings, but please try to be constructive in your thoughts. Calling names and expressing racist thoughts do not foster a more meaningful debate on this subject.

• 63 A Rant - Shame on you Mayor Villaraigosa of Los Angeles… « AmberMoon // Dec 5, 2008 at 9:13 pm

[...] http://latinopoliticsblog.com/?p=392#more-392 [...]

• 64 Esteban Nuñez’s special treatment, courtesty of Papi Nuñez and his friends! // Dec 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm

[...] to know that our leaders are looking out for little Nuñez. They obviously haven’t read the outrage regarding this case on this blog, or maybe their lips are so firmly affixed to Fabian’s [...]

• 65 Son’s legal troubles don’t prevent Highfalutin Fabian Nuñez from Seeking Higher Office // Feb 5, 2009 at 5:44 pm

[...] fray like this when his child is facing a murder trial. In case you missed it earlier, we have blogged about Fabian Nuñez’s son’s legal problems rather extensively. Are Fabian [...]

• 66 Tuesday Roundup in the Latino Politics World // Mar 17, 2009 at 8:53 pm

[...] Tomorrow former California Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez’s son, Esteban, is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing. He’s being charged with murder. Remember that Mayor Villaraigosa said that Esteban is a “good boy.” [...]

• 67 Today’s preliminary hearing in Esteban Nuñez case… // Apr 1, 2009 at 2:43 pm

[...] Fabian Nuñez’s connections will influence the outcome of the case. Even Mayor Villaraigosa chimed in after Esteban’s arrest, saying that he is  “a great kid, a good boy.” Nuñez [...]

• 68 Letter writing for Esteban Nuñez // May 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

[...] that of his parents. The descriptions in those letters do provide a different narrative than the myspace pictures of the younger [...]

• 69 More on the Esteban Nuñez case — Great piece in LA Weekly worth reading // May 29, 2009 at 9:06 am

[...] have already documented how some Latino political figures such as Mayor Villaraigosa, Assemblyman Keven De Leon, State Senator Gloria Romero, and LA County Federation of Labor Head [...]

• 70 The tables start to turn on Esteban Nuñez // Sep 18, 2009 at 11:02 am

[...] Speaker Fabian Nuñez,  was arrested late last year for the murder of Luis Dos Santos, many blog commenters and other observers of the case thought that Nuñez’s friends would start to turn on him. [...]

• 71 Fabian Nuñez for CA State Treasurer? // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

[...] of this year after being rescheduled. If you all remember, the younger Nuñez displayed a very interesting myspace page that has since been taken down, but I was fortunate to have saved most of the images. [...]

• 72 Update on Esteban Nuñez Case — Jury Selection Begins Tomorrow // May 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm

[...] for updates on the Esteban Nuñez murder case because it brought out some public reaction from Latino politicians in California. And of course, Esteban’s father is Fabian Nuñez, former Speaker of the [...]

• 73 Esteban Nuñez Sentenced to 16 years in Prison // Jun 26, 2010 at 9:17 am

[...] isn’t too surprising when you look at the photos that Esteban Nuñez had published on his myspace account showing him and his friends drinking, partying, posing like thugs, [...]

• 74 As the Governator leaves, he issues commutation for Esteban Nuñez // Jan 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

[...] his criminal ordeal even shortely after he was arrested, having Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa call him “a great kid, a good [...]

• 75 Lingering Disgust from Schwarzenegger Sentence Commutation of Esteban Nuñez // Apr 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm

[...] Nuñez also received some positive comments from Mayor Villaraigosa if you [...]

• 76 Fabian Núñez: Esteban’s Manslaughter Sentence was Politically Motivated // Jul 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm

[...] but I think that Núñez and his defense team may have brought that on themselves. Remember when Mayor Villaraigosa was telling us that Esteban was a “good boy” and when politicians and other leaders were writing letters on behalf of the now convicted younger [...]