Governor Richardson withdraws from Commerce Secretary position

January 4th, 2009 · 12 Comments

Sadly, Governor Bill Richardson has withdrawn his name for the Secretary of Commerce position in the Obama administration because of an ongoing investigation into a California company that has been awarded lucrative New Mexico state contracts. The company in question has contributed to Richardson’s political activities. Hopefully, Richardson comes out of the current investigation relatively unscathed. I really think that he is one of our shining stars in that he is able to represent American interests abroad, can effectively interact with Hollywood in bringing revenue into his small state, and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize numerous times.

CQ Politics offers this:

“The investigation involves a California-based company, CDR Financial Products, and whether it received lucrative fees from the New Mexico Finance Authority in 2004 after making political contributions to Richardson.

The Associated Press reported that CDR and its CEO, David Rubin, had contributed at least $110,000 to various Richardson committees. CDR was paid $1.48 million for work given to it by New Mexico.”

This investigation is over approximately $1.6 million transacted between the contributions and the money paid to the contractor by the state of NM. In politics, this is chump change. If Richardson is in fact directly implicated in this matter, I hope that he feels that the $110K contribution was worth losing out on being back in Washington, D.C. in a cabinet position again.

Tags: Barack Obama · Bill Richardson

• 1 lusonotlatino // Jan 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

So, does Obama OWE Latinos another appointment? I guess in the world we live in, he really has no choice. That’s the Hispanic Department, right?

• 2 Michaelr // Jan 4, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Oh this doesn’t look good. However, isn’t it odd this always occurs on the cusp of the changing of the guard? Will they do the same to Hillary Clinton? Now there’s a politician with a lot of baggage.

• 3 HispanicPundit // Jan 4, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This truly does suck. Bill Richardson is a great politician and is one of the few Democrats that I could see myself voting for. He was my favorite of the Democrat primary too.

Hopefully he comes away clean. A shinning star like this should not go out like this.

• 4 DfD // Jan 4, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Nominate Tony Villar…

• 5 Anna // Jan 4, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Today even an accusation is enough to prevent somebody from being confirmed. If Richardson had resigned as Governor, but had not been confirmed by the Senate, his career would have been over.

My own impression has been that Obama dislikes Richardson for refusing to endorse him before February 5th. And we know that Hillary hates him because she thought she was entitled to his endorsement.

We’ll see how this investigation turns out, but I doubt there’s any merit to it. The objective has already been achieved.

• 6 Reyfeo // Jan 4, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Is anybody concered that the Obama Admin is not in offcie yet and already he has tons of baggage: Blogo in Ill’ and now this with Richardson. Please! Why did America vote for this? This has teh stink of Clinton plus Bush sprinlkled all over it!

• 7 Anna // Jan 4, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Hardly. Obama would have to have an affair with an intern and then launch an immoral war to have the stink of Clinton/Bush.

• 8 Michaelr // Jan 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I like that comment Anna. That’s a correction in a nutshell. You saved me the time, constructing something nasty to Reyfeo.

• 9 DfD // Jan 4, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Watching the corrupt Democratic senator Harry Reid on Meet the Press this morning and now the payola scandal with Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson are two reasons why I’m Not dissappointed for leaving the corrupt Democratic Party…

• 10 Anna // Jan 5, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I wish you’d leave this website. I think I’m going to start my own blog. No trolls allowed.

• 11 Michaelr // Jan 6, 2009 at 6:38 pm

And that will be a very lonely website Anna…because most of the people with these kind of opinions are trolls.

• 12 LAtina // Jan 12, 2009 at 10:59 pm

it is a shame. we really need some brown blood in the white house. if by 2040 Latinos will be a formidabble force, we should really have some real representation in national politics dont you think?