Friday’s Roundup – What we have been reading

January 23rd, 2009 · 27 Comments

This will be a short post, but I thought that I would share some of the things that we have been reading and contemplating for future blogging.

Calls for immigration reform under Obama - Looks like the Congressional Hispanic Caucus has already sent a letter to President Obama to request a meeting to discuss the issue. Will the CHC follow a strategic approach as outlined by Seneca in the previous post?

Salazar cites ethical lapses at Interior Dept. - “This department has suffered because of ethical lapses and criminal activity at the highest level.” Sounds like Secretary Salazar has his work cut out for him.

Private, political histories loom over House race - With CA State Senator Gloria Romero having said that she’s not interested in Hilda Solis’s former congressional seat, we are left with Judy Chu and Gil Cedillo. Chu already has key labor endorsements, but many were hoping that a Latino would replace Congresswoman Solis. Note the bad blood between Gil Cedillo and LA Mayor Villaraigosa.

What would you, as a reader of LatinoPoliticsBlog, like to see us cover in the coming days? Drop links and give us some ideas in the comments!

Tags: Antonio Villaraigosa · CA State Senator Gloria Romero · Congressional Hispanic Caucus · Immigration · Rep. Hilda Solis · Sen. Ken Salazar

• 1 Anna // Jan 23, 2009 at 10:08 am

We’ve lost a Senator and now possibly a member of Congress.

• 2 Michaelr // Jan 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

The Merida Initiative, or what the Bush Administration has called Plan Mexico should be discussed. The proposed arming and militarization of Mexico’s current government will not only cost U.S. taxpayers close to several billion dollars per year to fund, it will increase more illegal immigration into this country from all the other Mexican social classes fleeing a more repressive and corrupt police state. We will certainly feel all the economic and social repercussions of this here in Southern California.

• 3 Reyfeo // Jan 23, 2009 at 5:47 pm

How about we stick to what Obama is doing in the next 100 days.

1. The wall along the border…and for once try to give the point of view that shows some of latinos want it to go up…i’m not a FOX news junky, super copnservative, before anybody goes there…i’m just a normal guy/person who knows that if I show up in Mexico andoutstay my visa, they first kick my a$%$ then throw me in prison, and if i’m lucky I go home after they violate my every human right.

2. GITMO Closure, where’s he going to put this current terrorist that reside there…some of latinos agree with GITMO…they get far better than any California prison they could go to is capable of giving them. Same here, some of us lations disagree with closing the place down, can you hit your story from that angle.
    3. The other $350 Billion he’s about to spend…where, how and specifically what’s the plan to pay that back to us the tax payer? As a latino, I’m sick of giving money away, my kids, kids are going to be paying this bill, :WHERE DO ALL THE rest of the lation nation stand on this…can we send MALDEF, and all the other Lationo orgs that say they represent us say something to the new Pres on our behalf?
    4. Abortion: Completely disagree with the exucutive order that Obama recalled…i’m I alone on this, probably not, can you report something this and some of the rest of us lationos who are ANTI-ABORTION.

• 4 Reyfeo // Jan 23, 2009 at 5:50 pm

okay looks like I dropped the wrong copy onto the website…sorry for all the erros, mispells, I must have copied the working copy…:)

• 5 Anna // Jan 23, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Reyfeo:

#1: The wall the Republicans were supposedly going to build was retractable. They had no intention of sealing the border. (God, I’m tired of the border/immigration. )

#2: GITMO should be closed. Dubya set up a shadow legal system that denies people the right to habeas corpus, due process and a fair trial.

#3: the 350 billion is for a stimulus package to jump start the economy. Sadly, nobody says anything when Wall St steals 750 billion+ dollars, but God forbid our own tax dollars are invested in our own country. Like you, though, I want to know where and how it will be spent.

#4: If you oppose abortion then don’t have one. Problem solved!

• 6 Reyfeo // Jan 23, 2009 at 8:57 pm

#1 I say seal the border…all i’m saying is that Seneca needs to show the conservative latino side of this issue.

#2 Disagree, and same here, there are more like me, in fact there are lots like me who applaud Bush for the shadow legal system you oppose…these are terrorist, what do you care that they get American legal justice…if found on the battle field, then they need to be held in captivity. Yes, I know you disagree, and i’ll i’m saying is lets here from the other side, who like me, are latino and liked this Bush policy.

#3. Remember it was a Democratic congress who for once agreed with a Republican president on what I think is the worse deal America has had in it’s entire history…but like before, where are the NM, CO, and CA voters who put Obama over the top to complain about making sure this money gets spent right. We were powerful then, why not get loud about this mess.
    #4. Disgaree…and you’re probably going to tell me not to impose my will on others, yet on this website you continue, to try and convince me that Bush was a crook, etc, etc (whereas I try to convince you, you are wrong in your views)…that said, I think abortion isn’t one of this issue we can stay on the side lines.
    What if I said to you…”if you get pregnant, take responsibilty for your actions and see this pregnancy through”…somehow this doesn’t ring well with the Anti-life left…and so again, I’d like to hear from those latinos like me who just because we oppose abortion, shouldnt have one.

• 7 dfdeportation // Jan 23, 2009 at 9:34 pm

The interesting thing here is how The Dali Bama talks a great game about transparency and has certain issues on public display to give the appearance that he’s looking for bipartisanship to show what a moderate he is, but when it comes to his far-leftist liberal side, he releases the above information on a FRIDAY NIGHT so very few people will see or hear it and the story will be buried deep in the Saturday L.A. Times. Very deceptive and phony…

• 8 Anna // Jan 24, 2009 at 12:47 am

#2: It’s not just a Dubya “policy.” It was unconstitutional. The constitution doesn’t just get thrown out the window because we declared war on somebody. How do you know if all of these men were even guilty of anything? They were never put on trial, and they weren’t all caught on the battlefield either. Some of them came from Canada and Australia, etc.
    I guess Dumbya is judge and jury. I don’t think so!

Anytime you strip away the rights of one man, it sets a legal precedent that could end up with all of us losing our rights.

There is no “other side” to this. You either believe in democracy or you don’t. Dubya doesn’t.

And those torture techniques were first used in this hemisphere by the Spanish on the Indians.

#4: You’re trying to tell women what to do with their bodies. Nobody is anti-life. They are pro-choice. Notice how the same conservatives who pretend to love life, sure do love the death penalty. They just want women under control and submissive to their husbands.

• 9 Reyfeo // Jan 24, 2009 at 7:08 am

#2 Agree to disagree…History won’t judge Dubya as harsh you do…Lincoln in the civil war temporarily suspeneded habeas corpus, a far more severe action to the constitution, probably due to the rebelion’s he was seeing and is seen as a Great president. Reagan ran all over Latin America and was nearly impeached for the Iran-Contra scandal (had they been able to pin it on him), and he’s now dearly loved even by the Dem’s. Dubya, given the circumstance he had walked a fine line and probably crossed it as you say. For me, thats better then what Clinton did, nothing, and we found ourselves militarily exhausted (on our heels as opposed to our toes ready to leap on any enemy). So yes, we agree to disagree.
    #4 I hear what you say and wonder, at what point do you stop believing in your faith/religion (if you have one) and start believing the consitution is your new god…I love this country like any other person, but I won’t let the consitution twart my faith…it was founded, whether you like to admit it or not by men of faith in God…why should we shy away from that to to the point that a woman can kill an unborn child…simply becuase you feel to be made submissive? I’m not a cave man, i’m a loving man wiht a great wife whom doesn’t believe killing children in the third trimester…is abortion and your right to do what you want, worth the lives of 7-8 month old babies getting thier heads ripped out because of this?

….and so I hope the witer in this blog can share some light on the latinos out there like me, who don’t agree with this anti-life stand and actually liked Geroged Bush, i’m a little tired of being painted a liberal becuase of the color of my skin and my spanish surname. Some of us have independant/conservative views.

• 10 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 7:37 am

Reyfeo sounds like the vast majority of Americans to me. So what if the activists call hin a pocho and other names. As for abortion, Planned Parenthood is making a fortune off of the taxpayers by “helping” females decide what to do with “their” bodies. When the vast majority of Americans, when presented with the whole truths about what abortion is, they disapprove.

• 11 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 7:45 am

Folks like Anna are quick to point out what the racist Spanish did to the “indigenous”. I’d like to hear mexicans discuss what the Aztecs did to the “other” tribes that caused those tribes to be excited about joining with the Spanish to rid themselves of the terror the Aztecs and people like them…

• 12 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 8:40 am

Most Democrats agree with the new senator from New York on Illegal Immigration. Like it or not…

• 13 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 9:39 am

How about the state budget? Where has/is the money going? When Arnold was elected, we had a $70 billion budget. Up over $100 billion now. Where has the money gone????

• 14 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 11:08 am

Not a big fan of polls but find this one consistent with tlking to Americans I speak with…

Rasmussen:

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters say that the President is more liberal than they are. Fifty-nine percent (59%) worry that Congress and the President will increase government spending too much while only 17% have the opposite concern and are more worried that the politicians will cut taxes too much.

Seventy-one percent (71%) say the suspects should not be given the rights U.S. citizens have in court, while only 18% think they should, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national survey.

While some politicians, foreign officials and non-government groups like Amnesty International argue that the Bush administration is acting outside of the law in its treatment of these terrorist suspects, just 30% of Americans believe they should have access to U.S. courts, as opposed to 54% who favor the special military trials.

Nearly six out of 10 Americans (59%) also say the special prison camp for terrorists at Guantanamo, where the United States now detains 280 inmates, should not be closed. Twenty-six percent (26%) believe it should be.

• 15 Anna // Jan 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Reyfeo:

#2: Dubya is not Lincoln, and we were not fighting a war on our own land as we were back then. And I’m not saying that I agree with what was done back then, but it was a different time and the conditions were much more dangerous.

And what makes you think Democrats like Reagan? His policies created the economic mess we have today. Obama is the only Democrat I have ever heard that has expressed any admiration for Reagan. And what he really admires about him is his popularity. He wants that for himself.

Under Clinton we had peace and prosperity. We got attacked because Dubya is incompetent and he had incompetent people working for him. That fool couldn’t even handle Hurricane Katrina, yet you think he could have kept us safe. A good leader can keep the country safe and still obey the laws and follow the constitution. Once you throw out the constitution, then all you have is a third world police state. That’s all the Republicans have to offer—a wrecked economy and a police state.

As for abortion, people can agree to disagree. But remember that God is not the same as religion. Religion was founded by men, not God. The Founding Fathers believed in God, but they were very skeptical of organized religion. They felt that it interfered with reason. Many of them were Deists.

Furthermore, many religions organized to strip gay people of their rights (Prop 8). God isn’t about treating some people like they’re less than human.

• 16 Michaelr // Jan 24, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Wow this is quite an insightful observation on your part. This is impressive. I have to agree that I agree with you wholeheartedly. Your comment on abortion and religion has total historical prevalence here.

• 17 Anna // Jan 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Thank you!

• 18 dfdeportation // Jan 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm

P.S. If anybody wnts to listen to Anna and Michael’s Far-left Stalinist verbage, go to http://www.mexica-movement.org. You’ll see right where they’re coming from.

• 19 webmaster // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm

dfdeportation, I would bet that Anna and Michael are not members of the Mexica movement. They probably would not participate in this blog if they were.

That site that you point to is based in Huntington Park, which is probably more known for being a local drug (cocaine) hub than for being a hotbed of political activism.

• 20 Michaelr // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I don’t associate myself with the claims and statements on this site http://www.mexica-movement.org So much of this is mythology, and wide open to multiple interpretations.

• 21 Michaelr // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:50 pm

And Joseph Stalin didn’t espouse any political ideology that segregated itself from Marxist-Leninism, other than to embrace a more totalitarian form of leadership during his reign. As usual dfdeportation, you are blowing hot air out of the side of your mouth.

• 22 Anna // Jan 25, 2009 at 10:44 am

Re: “Anna and Michael’s Far-left Stalinist ”

I’ve never heard of that website until now. This moron thinks there is only one “Anna” on the internet.

Webmaster: When are you going to ban this lying idiot? As I said before, he ruins every thread, and he probably keeps your traffic low. High quality blogs don’t let trolls take over.

• 23 Michaelr // Jan 25, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Dfdeportation’s verbiage is a product of that whole AM radio political/hate environment inspired by Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, and Ann Coulter. He just repeats what he hears on the radio and attempts to converse with everyone here, waving the American flag and pointing downward towards the political left without any comprehension of what that actually means. You know the type…most of them have been in power for the last eight years in D.C. He is what he is, you can’t enlighten him, so don’t engage with him.

• 24 Reyfeo // Jan 26, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Anna,

I said, “at what point do you stop believing in your faith/religion”…I added religion in my text because some people can’t differentiate the two like you. That said, you know very little of what the Bible says if you seriuosly believe that God is an agreements with or likes Gay-ness…also, you almost assume that “Religion…founded by men” made these rules up, well you’re wrong…Religion founded in the Belief of God and Jesus Christ and hence seeing The Bible as true text from God will tell you that Gay-ness goes I against God. It says so in the Bible, a book which by the way has been around much longer then this country.

I know you’d like to believe God loves eveybody, and he does, but they (we) need to live/adhere-to/live-by his rules and commandments…in the Bible Gay-ness, much like murder and sleeping with anothers wife/husband, is wrong.

• 25 Anna // Jan 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

We don’t live in a theocracy, so what the Bible says about gay people should have no bearing on our laws. We believe that all men are created equal.

Do you really believe that because somebody (nobody really knows who) wrote in a book thousands of years ago that gays are damned that God really believes that too? Come on. I can’t believe you think gay people are on the same level as murderers. That’s truly scary.

Doesn’t the Bible also have slaves in it? And polygamy? It that OK, too?

The churches today are spreading hate and bigotry. It’s sad and a total perversion of Christianity.

• 26 Reyfeo // Jan 28, 2009 at 6:40 am

Ok, I get it now, your Agnostic/Athiest?

But i’ll answer you questions.
    No, we live in a Democracy that allows all people of faith, Christians, Muslims etc to express thier view…whether you believe it or not, this country wasn’t founded on Muslim, Agnostic or any other faith/beliefs…it was founded on the Judeo-Christian belief. Thats why “murder” is against the law.

I have friends who are Gay Anna, and we agree to disagree on their lifestyle, but they, like you, can’t argue with the siimple fact that the Bible, although “printed” by men, is “the word of God”. Anybody who calls themselves “Christian” will acknowledge and lay all thier beliefs in this book called the Bible (the word of God).

Yes, the old testamnet describes all that you have mentioned…in the Old Testament their was no covenant with God beyond blood sacrifices from animals to forgive sins…the New Testament has nothing but love and caring beliefs through the death of Christ (by which we are all saved)…I respect you political views, but it sound like you know nothing of the Bible, probably because you haven’t read it and or understand the Old and New Testament…when you do, then you’ll know why us Christians, have to throw our wieght against Gay Marriage and Abortion. The word of God (our beliefs) won’t allow it.
    The fact that you state churches “spread hate and bigotry” is even more alarming!

I now ask you, do you really belive we Christians get togetherr on Sunday to figure out a way to make life for liberals/Agnostics etc like you, hell. NO! Churches, atleast those not run by Pastors like Rev Wright, are peaceful loving churches who sometimes, becuase of our beliefs must counter what we see is wrong with society ie Gay Marriage, and Abortion. And that usually happens via our vote. Can you say that about the Gay community in California who have resolved to take thier issue to the next level of violence?

• 27 Anna // Jan 31, 2009 at 10:06 pm

First of all, I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools, and I would not characterize myself an agnostic. I believe in God. I also know that God and organized religion are not the same thing.

Look at the Catholic Church today. They’re covering up for sickos who have harmed children. Did you know that many of the offending priests were relocated to Mexico?

And the Mormons look the other way when it comes to polygamy. You have some guy with five wives who are all dressed like Laura Ingalls. That’s nuts.

And no, I don’t believe that you get together on Sunday to figure out how to make life hell for people. But I think that church leaders do. Then they give their flock marching orders, such as when the Catholic Church asked the Moromon church to tell its members to fund Proposition 8.

I think gay people were born that way, and I do not believe that God favors the oppression of any human being.

And it’s funny how you criticize Reverend Wright. He criticized America’s moral superiority, and that’s why he was lambasted. He does not support the oppression of any human being, unlike the pastor who gave the invocation at the inauguration.