Will the Congressional Hispanic Caucus stand in solidarity with working Americans?

February 18th, 2009 · 15 Comments

Times are certainly tough, and while the President signed the stimulus bill into law yesterday, we certainly have an uphill battle to climb in terms of employment and holding onto existing jobs. However, some members of Congress still expect an automatic pay raise in 2010.

HR 156, the Stop the Congressional Pay Raise Act introduced in the House by Representative Harry Mitchell (D-AZ), will prevent law makers from receiving a $4,700 pay increase this year. You can see the list of 109 co-sponsors here. Note how only one member of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (Congressman Cuellar, D-TX) is on this list! This list of co-sponsors might not be completely current, as two weeks ago, it was reported that Congressman John Salazar (D-CO) would also support this legislation to prevent members of congress from receiving pay raises through the end of 2010.

I don’t think that any congressional member should be receiving raises while the economy teeters on edge, especially Latino congressional members who represent people who are among the hardest hit. I want to thank Congressmen Cuellar and Salazar for going on record in supporting the halt on the pay raises, but I want to encourage you to tell the rest of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus to get on board with the belt tightening. We should be in this together, and the Caucus could take a real stand by showing us that they will stand in solidarity with working Americans. Let’s see if they will forgo some of their comfort and security to stand with us!

Tags: Barack Obama · Congressional Hispanic Caucus · Economics · Government Accountability · Rep. Henry Cuellar · Rep. John Salazar

• 1 Michaelr // Feb 18, 2009 at 3:09 pm

This demonstrates exactly why they (members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus) ran for public office. And it wasn’t to perform public service.

• 2 RealDemocrat // Feb 18, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Show your solidarity with working Americans by supporting E-VERIFY…

• 3 Anna // Feb 18, 2009 at 7:26 pm

If we had E-Verify you still wouldn’t get hired.

• 4 YolandaR // Feb 18, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Based on the 109 co-Sponsors list seems the Congressional Black Caucus campaign platform and commitment to public service are the same as the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. It also doesn’t take a third grade math education to calculate the $4,700 pay increase these bums might receive is much larger than the tax cut for poor Americans!

• 5 webmaster // Feb 18, 2009 at 11:02 pm

We are talking about congressional pay raises, not e-verify. Try to stay on topic please.

YolandaR, good point about the Black Caucus, maybe we can get them to sign on as co-sponsors to this bill as well.

• 6 jammer // Feb 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I was notified months ago that due to the budget deficit in California that I would not get a pay raise this year. Since we(I) am being asked to forego a pay increase to help balance the budget deficit I think it fair that all State legislators, our congressional delegation, and all elected officials should have their salaries frozen so they share in the pain the same as everyone. Fair is fair

• 7 BettyM // Feb 19, 2009 at 4:40 pm

“Expecting” a pay increase while others are struggling to keep or to find a job is just not right. I would expect those who hold public office to take a hard look at why they are in those positions – maybe even set an example.

• 8 Anna // Feb 20, 2009 at 11:42 am

I would rather have them work harder to get some of the stimulus money invested in their districts. I would like to see a breakdown of where and how that money is being spent.

• 9 EYES OF TEXAS // Feb 20, 2009 at 12:23 pm

To follow the money simply find a list of those that contributed the most money to Obamas campaign and you will have a list of where the money is going. It’s pay back time for the likes of ACORN, labor unions and big business, foreign and domestic.

• 10 Reyfeo // Feb 20, 2009 at 6:09 pm

All I here is compliants…I for one am taking action: if I don’t see my congressional reps, i’m going to tell (already started) them they aren’t getting my vote and am spreading the info to my friends and family.

Our last resort to deal with these monkies is our vote, lets let them know that!
    Eyes of TExas, I think your’re right on target…looks to me like Soros and (liberal) freinds are making out like bandits with this pork bill.

• 11 Anna // Feb 20, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Reyfeo and Eyes of Texas:

Where is the proof? If you have any information on where that money is being spent, please share it.

• 12 Reyfeo // Feb 20, 2009 at 9:26 pm

That’s the problem Anna, sure as heck I can’t prove where the money went, you can’t prove where it didn’t go…so much for transparency promised by Obama and his croonies…what a joke!

• 13 Anna // Feb 21, 2009 at 11:28 am

If you can’t prove it then stop saying that Soros and his liberal friends are getting it. Stop lying.

• 14 Chuck Valdez // Feb 23, 2009 at 8:51 am

I agree with Betty M. Government should set the example. Not only no pay raise but a cut in pay. I can’t understand why they can’t even pay there taxes.

• 15 The Anvil // May 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

Not only should no one in congress get raises, but they should decrease what they make.