Let’s revisit Rosario Marin for a moment

March 5th, 2009 · 26 Comments

WatchOurCity has done some digging about Rosario Marin, former treasurer in George W. Bush’s first administration and most recently head of the California State and Consumer Services Industry. This woman certainly is not a poster girl for exemplary public service, and today she just confirmed that notion with an act that hopefully ends her political career.

Rosario Marin resigned this afternoon as the head of the California State and Consumer Services Agency after breaking administration policy of not accepting money for speeches while in office. Marin’s salary was $175K per year. She was caught taking money from big pharma, while her agency pushed to reduce the oversight of prescription drugs. Can you say “conflict of interest” any louder?

Seneca has addressed the ethics issue recently, but it seems that some of our leaders aren’t listening. What will it take for our community stop parading these so called leaders around?

Tags: ethics · Rosario Marin

• 1 Amerinica // Mar 5, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I am not surprised, I hope this sends a strong message to current and future leaders that padding your wallet at the expense of your constituents is not acceptable!!

• 2 Michaelr // Mar 5, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I am sure Anna the Apologist will have a complete rationalization for Rosario Marin’s political behavior.

• 3 Anna // Mar 6, 2009 at 9:46 am

Why would I defend her? I don’t defend politicians who break the law.

And who is parading around Rosario Marin? She was APPOINTED.

• 4 wendy carrillo // Mar 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm

hmmm. you know, i do have to wonder about the original article. three of the four people questioned were Latinos.
    i don’t condone her behavior, but i also am critical as to why she and others were targeted? reminds me a movie… villains get sloppy, start leaving all kinds of clues and paper trail behind.
    but the fact that she had to resign is like saying guilty as charged. jeez. not good overall for latinos in politics, and worse, LATINAS!

• 5 Anna // Mar 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I don’t understand how any minority can be Republican either. There’s something missing upstairs…

• 6 WhatThe.. // Mar 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm

This is as aggregious as Carrie Lopez, director of the Department of Consumer Affairs, charged taxpayers to fly from Sacramento, where she works, to Los Angeles, where she lives, to attend a Justin Timberlake concert with her daughter. She listed the trip on her expense report as a meeting with the energy company, in turn had paid for the concert tickets. Lopez also billed the state for meals on days she received those meals for free from corporations, this is all according to state records. By the way, when the energy company was asked if this meeting transpired, they corroborated that there was no meeting. As far as I know she hasn’t resigned or has been fired. There is no doubt, that behavior like this places a stain on latinos politicians trying to do good.

• 7 webmaster // Mar 6, 2009 at 3:48 pm

WhatThe…

It looks like Carrie Lopez is going to be reimbursing the state for her travel expenses:

I agree that she should not have charged travel to a Justin Timberlake concert. Let’s hope that she thought it was worth the drama that it has caused for her. For the time being, it looks like Carrie Lopez is keeping her job.

• 8 WhatThe.. // Mar 6, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Thanks Webmaster for the article, It appears many who hold public servant positions inadvertainly lose sight of the position they hold and whose money they are really spending.

• 9 Reyfeo // Mar 6, 2009 at 4:53 pm

“i never really understood how minority women and minorities overall can be part of the republican party, it’s like wanting to join the party that continues to be your oppressor, but that is besides the point.”

Are you kidding me! Last I remember its a free country. Some of us are conservatives. Ever stop to wonder who the real oppressors are…it’s the Democratic Party who continues to feed you your “entitlement” mentality to keep you under their fingers…did I mention they are spending you grandkids money…not complaining now are you? You probabaly still blame Dubya for everything.

Its this mentality, which you back with no substance, which shows you probably only have third grade education!

• 10 Anna // Mar 6, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Stop spreading Faux News propaganda. Here is a reading list for you.

Reyfeo’s Reading List

1) The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (stop being manipulated by organized religion)

2) 1984 by George Orwell

3) Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky

4) The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein (scary)

5) The End of Work by Jeremy Rifkin

6) Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter (Republican stupidity is deeply rooted. It didn’t begin with Reagan)

• 11 Anna // Mar 6, 2009 at 7:18 pm

The Emerging Republican Majority (1969). This was the blueprint for Reagan’s 1980 win.

Backlash by Susan Faludi

• 12 Reyfeo // Mar 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm

paranoid/delusional…that’s all I have to say about “Anna”.

• 13 wendy carrillo // Mar 7, 2009 at 12:28 am

lol. yeah. i have a third grade education.
    see – insults seem to be the only thing republicans can throw out these days.
    no real logic, no real sense of argument style.
    i wont get into the whole grandkids thing because we let dear president bush take care of that didn’t we? how much money have we wasted on iraq again?
    anyways, some people don’t even know the difference between liberal republicans and conservative democrats, nor do they care to know because it’s too scary to think that both are actually the same – right on center.
    besides – it’s off topic.
    the point here is that regardless of party affiliations, we are not in a financial position to be laxed on spending.
    with all the budget shortfalls, i would imagine that people will have to start really paying close attention to what they expense. i hope that the coverage of these investigative reports shows fairness and accountability, and not simply finger pointing at the expense of minorities with high positions.

• 14 Reyfeo // Mar 7, 2009 at 7:28 am

So you agree that this “stimulus” package has wasted spending in..ie pork?

And you agree that Pres Obama has and or will, when this spending is complete, have surpassed all other Presidents combined in spending?

How would you reply to the above questions?

I’ll go another few months, but your blame Bush mentality excuse is eventually going to wear thin. Eveb with the most sensible Democrats.

And just so I get this straight, doing nothing is not a good idea, so lets go ahead and put every idea we’ve (Democrats that is) wanted to make happen for the last 30 yrs in this “stimulus” package?

This is where most of us part ways with Pres Obama. You see, I agree we needed to do something and prayed this Pres would show me something that would lead me to beleive he is different, but you can’t deny that he and this congress are getting out of control with “stimulus” packages that do nothing for job growth. How would you reply to this question…I mean seriously, convince me everythig I see happeneing to date with this spending is really going to pull us out of this mess. What is your response here? Many Latinos, like me would really like to here a viable explnantion for what we see is reckless spending. And please don’t start your synopsis with how Bush started this mess and the Iraq war is the reason (I understand you are aginast the war, but we can discuss that later)…we have a new president who is doing this with a Democratic congress…all actions are on them now. Tell me and or go me a good reason to chew on that gives me hope this Pres is really going to turn things around. Standing by…

• 15 Anna // Mar 7, 2009 at 9:40 am

I wish you were this concerned about reckless spending when trillions were wasted in Iraq. For instance, Dubya gave no-bid contracts to Halliburton and other corporations for work they didn’t even do. Now suddenly when we’re on the verge of a Depression caused by Dubya, but really, by a Republican ideology that believes our nation’s wealth should be transferred to corporations, you’re suddenly concerned about excessive spending.

I don’t know why you’re complaining. Most of the stimulus seems to be spent on more handouts for Wall St,.

I don’t really think anybody can fix Dubya’s mess. I think he did too much damage. They’re just trying to put band-aids on it. How could you guys have voted for that DUI drunk who never had a job before he was forty?! Now you’ve wrecked the global economy.

• 16 WhatThe.. // Mar 7, 2009 at 11:57 am

I just checked my calender Anna, its 2009 not 1969.

• 17 Anna // Mar 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Are you talking about the book The Emerging Republican Majority? So we’re only suppsoed to read books published in 2009? lol

That book plots the Southern Strategy the Republicans have been using for the last 40 years. The last section of the book notes that Latinos could put an end to the Southern Strategy, and that’s exactly what happened.

• 18 Reyfeo // Mar 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I was throwing these questions at Wendy (or anybody out there who voted for the Socialist Party). Seems now she can’t anwser my questions…but now that you’ve said your part, do you, “Anna”, have any answers to my questions?

• 19 COLLINS // Mar 7, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I am somewhat sadden with Rosario’s lack of work ethics. It is so easy and tempting to accept what seems like a benefit but in fact turns out to be your shortfall. It is embarrasing to read about her shady dealings with the latino politicos in Ranchington Park and now this s#$t…

I knew her when I was a teenager. She was considered a natural born leader.

• 20 COLLINS // Mar 7, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Is Rosario’s political career over?

..your thoughts please.

• 21 Anna // Mar 7, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I’ll try.

1) I don’t know if the stimulus plan has “pork” in it. In case you haven’t noticed the Republicans call all spending on infrastructure “pork” or “earmarks.” That’s their whole strategy. Money for schools? Pork. Money for highways? Pork. Money for healthcare. Pork.

A 750 billion dollar handout to Wall St crooks who are giving themselves billions of dollars in bonuses? Necessary spending.

Furthermore in Obama’s stimulus plan only 18% is being spent on infrastructure. 40% is going to tax cuts and the rest to more handouts for Wall St crooks and military contractors.

2) Will the stimulus surpass all other Presidents in spending? I don’t know. So far, Dubya holds the record and this is HIS mess.

I also know that this economy hasn’t hit bottom yet.

• 22 Phil // Mar 8, 2009 at 3:41 am

While Bush was in office about 5 trillion dollars
    was added to the national debt.
    He is supposed to have added a trillion dollars
    to the national debt faster than any other president.
    Obama has to spend over 5 trillion to outspend Bush.
    Allen Greenspan told Bush repeatedly that he should veto a lot of the spending but since Bush is the
    smartest man on the planet he didn’t think he needed
    advice from Greenspan.

• 23 The Editor, WatchOurCity.com // Mar 8, 2009 at 11:05 am

Anna,

Remember our little exchange of words back a few days ago regarding Rosario Marin? On the topic of Joe Baca in the WSJ, I wrote about

“Everyone here seems to be missing the biggest story of them all. If Joe Baca is partly to blame, them partly to blame should be Rosario Marin. Does anybody remember her? She is Gov. Schwarzenegger’s’s Secretary of Consumer Affairs, a $4 Billion state agency (yes, Billion with a B).

Rosario Marin was paid by a Republican consulting firm (DCI) to secretly lobby only targeted Republicans in the U.S. Congress to reduce oversight of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

How Rosario went from being a councilwoman in Huntington Park, CA, to being handpicked by GWB as the nation’s 41st U.S. Treasury, a largely ceremonial post, was beyond anybody’s comprehension. What all of us must understand is that Rosario is as much to blame as the Joe Baca’s.

Marin’s meteoric rise through the Republican ranks is built on a tiny little city of barely 65,000 residents that is Huntington Park in Southeast L.A. County.

Rosario is one of the dirtiest of corrupt politicians, Latino or otherwise. She is an extremely shrewd politician. Her political proteges in Huntington Park are giving contracts worth millions of dollars exclusively to Marin’s friends. One of her proteges has been convicted of Grand Theft of public funds while he was the mayor of Huntington Park. The majority city council is now controlled by Rosario’s other proteges.

Yet nobody’s called her on her role in the meltdown. Folks, she made money on the deal back in 2005 and look at what her consulting gig was holding back, a financial meltdown.”

Anna and I settled on a common ground understanding about the ethically challenged Rosario Marin. And then this about her resignation hits.

None of this is surprising to the Editor at WatchOurCity.com. It is a pattern of ethically challenged behavior that has been set since 1994, when she first ran for public office.

I’ve simply been reporting the on the trail she leaves behind. The very last thing I want to say is “I told you so”.

The Editor,

WatchOurCity.com

• 24 BettyM // Mar 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Wow, it’s a good thing she resigned!!!

• 25 More fallout from the Rosario Marin resignation, Director of CA Consumer Affairs, Carrie Lopez, quits // Mar 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm

[...] her daughter had been paid for by Sempra Energy. Her resignation follows that of her former boss, Rosario Marin, who led the state and consumer services [...]

• 26 Rosario Marin, Former Schwarzenegger cabinet member, Fined by State Ethics Commission // Jun 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm

[...] blogged about her previous actions here. California has had a ban on public officials accepting speaking fees since 1990. Marin’s [...]