Mid-week updates

May 20th, 2009 · 24 Comments

As I predicted on Gustavo Arellano’s Four O’Clock Tuesdayhour on KPFK yesterday, Gil Cedillo effectively shot himself in the foot with his campaign spending and negative mailers, costing him the election to Judy Chu. Chu will face a runoff for the Congressional seat once held by now Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis.

So much for Congressman Baca telling us, “It’s a Hispanic seat. We should not lose that seat.” It’s nice to know that Joe Baca has designated California’s 32nd Congressional District as a “Hispanic seat,” never-mind that we can be effectively represented by people other than our own kind. I wonder what he would say about a Latino running in a white or some other ethnicity dominant district.

And those Sanchez sisters are at it again. This time Reps. Linda and Loretta Sanchez face questions by the House ethics committee over payroll and staff sharing. It looks like Linda Sanchez put three of her sisters aides on her own payroll because of budget shortfalls in Loretta’s office. I’m sure that her staff didn’t mind as long as they continued to get paid, but one of the rules in business is to keep whomever is responsible for cutting your checks happy or satisfied. I could see how this little staff shuffle could create some confusion in terms of loyalties and even performance, especially in areas where the two sisters differ.

Tags: Congressman Joe Baca · Gil Cedillo · Rep. Linda Sanchez · Rep. Loretta Sanchez · Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis

• 1 DelToro // May 20, 2009 at 10:48 am

Wow! “So much for Congressman Baca telling us, “It’s a Hispanic seat. We should not lose that seat.” It’s nice to know that Joe Baca has designated California’s 32nd Congressional District as a “Hispanic seat,” never-mind that we can be effectively represented by people other than our own kind. I wonder what he would say about a Latino running in a white or some other ethnicity dominant district”?

This paragraph restores my faith in your ability to be objective. Thank you, Thank you and Thank you.

• 2 Karla V Salazar // May 20, 2009 at 11:15 am

It will be very interesting to look at the Latino voting figures for the 32nd CD, Congressman Baca was not the only Latino leader that expressed that Latinos would not vote for an Asian candidate.

Otherwise, the Cedillo camp will blame the Latino vote split on Pleitez without taking into account the effect of his campaing spending and negative mailings. Overall, I hope a majority of the Latinos voted in the 32nd District, otherwise, it serves no purpose to be a majority ethnic group in an area if we can not deliver the votes.

• 3 WhatThe.. // May 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm

“Hispanic Seat”, sounds a bit racist, don’t you think Joe!

• 4 BettyM // May 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm

RE: the Sanchez sisters. Unbelievable!!!!

• 5 Anna // May 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Re: “Otherwise, the Cedillo camp will blame the Latino vote split on Pleitez…”

Way to go…

• 6 Anna // May 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm

“Mr. Pleitez, a former banker and Obama campaign staffer, combined old-style door-to-door campaigning with online fund raising to win third place. But he also effectively split the Latino vote with Mr. Cedillo.

“Pleitez was the effective spoiler for Cedillo’s bid,” says Allan Hoffenblum, a Republican political consultant. “His total votes were much greater in number than the margin of victory that Chu had over Cedillo.”

With 100% of precincts fully or partially reporting, Ms. Chu had 15,338 votes to Mr. Cedillo’s 11,244 and 6,509 for Mr. Pleitez.”

• 7 Pati Politics // May 21, 2009 at 8:26 am

“That’s exactly why he lost. It doesn’t take a genius to see it. So now we’ve lost a Senator and member of Congress.”

Anna, last time I checked Gil Cedillo was still a State Senator. Why don’t you look at the positive and see that the district got what it voted for, a qualified Judy Chu? And who is to say that all of Pleitez’s supporters would have automatically gone to support Cedillo?

When this race started, many felt that Cedillo and Chu would be running neck and neck despite any campaigning of Pleitez. I sense that Cedillo lost this election because of his campaign spending (made him look out of touch compared to a more frugal Judy Chu), the lack of on-line engagement and netroots outreach (which Pleitez capitalized on — he was all over the net), and his lower fundraising totals than Chu.

Karla makes a good point about delivering votes, which is key. If we are engaged enough and can deliver votes, we can manipulate politicians of any ethnicity into acting on our behalf, but the key is to be engaged at all times.

• 8 Professor Y // May 21, 2009 at 9:02 am

Baca needs to toss his worn out race cards in the trash can. Its insulting if he thinks I vote because of race only. Usually that winner performs poorly. As for the Sanchez sisters seems to have learned the Illinois Governor’s budgetary tricks and should be held as accountable. Why isn’t the House Ethics investigating them?

• 9 Anna // May 21, 2009 at 9:58 am

Pati Propaganda:

I meant that we lost US Senator Ken Salazar, not State Senator Gil Cedillo. sigh….

Nothing you’re saying is based on facts. “I sense” doesn’t mean anything. You’re repeating media propaganda and ASSuming that the voters in the district care about things like fliers, fundraising, etc. You don’t know anything about that district.

As for Pleitez, he was a spoiler. I’m sure the Democratic Party will reward him now that they don’t have to deal with Cedillo demanding immigration reform and passage of The Dream Act. Those issues would have put Obama in an embarassing sitation.

• 10 WhatThe.. // May 21, 2009 at 10:16 am

Anna, I don’t believe in spoilers. If Cedillo truly showed leadership qualities, besides his Union background, he would win based on his qualifications and track record. Its pathetic that we continued to endorse and use of the victim mentality in all walks of life. Mr. Cedillo, “Poor Baby”! We feel your pain.

• 11 theKaiser // May 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Anna exclusively votes based on race alone. And that’s when she’s taking her medication. She ASSumes all Spanish surname politicians are looking after her interests. And those are Anna facts…
    The Sanchez sisters avoid House Ethics investigations because they don’t produce any meaningful legislation, and are therefore not a threat to their other House colleagues’ agendas. However, LOretta’s collusive (conflict of interest) relationship with Jack Einwechter should by House Ethic rules jeopardize her seat on the House Armed Services Committee. But there’s a definate double standard in the House. If Bill Clinton had done what Loretta Sanchez has done in her decade long tenure in Congress, he’d still be in jail right now.

• 12 DelToro // May 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Anna I know a lot about that district and one of the saddest things is that the amount of voters compared to the amount of people living in the district is pathetically lopsided. Can you guess why?

• 13 Anna // May 21, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Re: “Anna exclusively votes based on race alone.”

Every candidate on my ballot is white, you idiot. Stop making things up.

• 14 Anna // May 21, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Re: “Anna, I don’t believe in spoilers.”

It doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

• 15 DoctorH // May 21, 2009 at 8:27 pm

You can’t handle what you dish out. So it’s safe to say you like to bark up your contradictions from the gutter.

• 16 jammer // May 22, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Anna.., how can you possibly handle being so smart and so right all the time? You must certainly have your Ph.D. in Smartology. When you say you don’t have to be a genuis you certainly can not be referring to yourself. Can you offer an opinion without belittling someone or does your very big ego not allow for that? This blog serves a better service of informing and dialogue then most and it certainly is current with important issues affecting our communities and interests. Can you leave the bitchiness out of it?

• 17 Anna // May 23, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Re: “Anna… how can you possibly handle being so smart and so right all the time?”

It’s not easy.

• 18 The editor // May 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm

One of the greatest pleasures in reading this blog is seeing how Anna pushes very provocative buttons, the responses to her comments and the back-and-forth. Delightfully entertaining, thoughtful and highly addictive.

the editor,
    WatchOurCity.com

• 19 Mexitli // May 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I wonder how many Asians voted for a candidate that wasn’t Asian. Whites vote for whites all the time. No one questions them about it.

In the end I didn’t vote for Cedillo because he doesn’t live in the 32nd. That’s an issue for me because I’ve lived here all my life except for 4 years in the Army and the first 7 years of my life in EastLos.

I wonder about the real intentions of those who would wish for a drunken, spoiled little brat like plyteez as congressman for the district I’ve lived in for 38 years.

The OTM’s are joining the “anything but a Mexican” bandwagon trying to make themselves white. It’s funny because ultimately it highlights how inconsequential they are. Really, they’re about as important as the Latino Minutemen.

BTW, I asked about Judy Chu’s view’s on certain issues and she sent a rep to my home.

• 20 Mexitli // May 24, 2009 at 2:51 pm

@Anna

“Re: “Otherwise, the Cedillo camp will blame the Latino vote split on Pleitez…”

Way to go…”

Yup. Our numbers increase and our representation decreases. Sounds like a plan.

Like the Soviets used to say (referring to western style democracy): “Given the opportunity, common people will vote against their own best interests.”

• 21 RealDemocrat // May 24, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Maybe it was simply the fact that voters felt Chu was a better candidate than Cedillo? Did you ever think of that?

• 22 Mexitli // May 25, 2009 at 9:45 am

One more thing. Judy Chu was the first to sent out negative campaign mailers to my home and they continued up until election day. If i had to speculate I’d say that Chu sent out twice as many negative campaign mailers as Cedillo did.

That, coupled with mommies little borrachito cost Cedillo the election.

• 23 Ex-Mechista // May 28, 2009 at 10:11 am

Man, we sure messed you guys up. I did not read one good reason to vote for any of the candidates, all your arguments are ethnic based.

Some of the arguments sound like the PRI the seat belongs to “el dedazo”. I undesrtand why you make those arguments. Some of you are staffers and are waiting for “your turn”.

For those of you who missed it. The election was about who was going to be more effective in Congress and who had the less baggage. I would like to congratulate all the people who ran. That is what Democracy looks like.

Last time I heard some loser and his whining supporters they were blaming poor Ralph Nader. A man who has dedicated his life so all of us can live better lives.

Boys and girls you need to travel and see the world – it’s really interesting. Also don’t underestimate your gente, they go through a lot everyday and can see the obvious.

By the way tell my fellow mechista Joe Baca to stop supporting and financing Imperialists
    WARS. Please Joe stop killing those poor Palestinian babies – they look just like Chicanos.

• 24 Wilhilamina Villasenor // Jul 11, 2009 at 11:53 pm

This would never have happened in a Black district, NEVER! the Ca. Dem. Party would never have endorsed a Latina much less a Chinese women in their district, Rev, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson would have been out here post haste wanting to know what was up. Look what happen in L.A. Burke leaves…..Riddley Thomas…L.B. the Latina Caucus wanted Jenny Oropeza but no black to Black…Chicago…….Obama..Burris. But the Party doesn’t respect us, Hilda didn’t respect us. We are seen as sheep, followers, do what the party says, do what Hilda says she put alot of folk before the eight ball in this contest and what did she do? send out the mailer endorsing judy well not me! I voted for the Latina candidate on May 19th. and on July 14th i will cast my vote for Betty, my vote just might take her over the top i pray that it does. I don’t want judy representing me in Washington punto!