The Only Latino GOP Senator Calls it Quits Today!

August 7th, 2009 · 7 Comments

I don’t really have anything to add to Mel Martinez resigning from the Senate today. He had already announced that he would not seek re-election, but he did leave on a positive note voting for Judge Sotomayor. Also worth noting, Senator Martinez was one of the original cosponsors of the DREAM Act in the Senate.

Some feel that Florida Governor Crist, who will appoint Martinez’s replacement and is actually running for this Senate seat, is a more progressive Republican. Crist is being challenged by another Republican for this seat who is opposed to Obama’s stimulus plan and is more socially conservative. According to political scientist Larry Sabato, “The worst thing he could do was to appoint a flunky or himself.” I would agree with that. Florida has some interesting dynamics and a Cuban-American community that is showing signs of not being as hard line in its support for the GOP as has been thought.

Tags: GOP · Sen. Mel Martinez

• 1 mke // Aug 8, 2009 at 5:30 am

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I’m always a little suspicious when these guys step down mid-term, on a Friday for unclear reasons. Something tells me there is more to the story…

• 2 PMG! // Aug 8, 2009 at 7:59 am

Nevermind that the state went for Obama in the election as well….

Although he was planning to retire, the sudden departure… it smacks of something else… frustration? disillusionment?

I’ve been to Florida regularly for the past few years and have seen a slight shift at the ground level of the Latino community there (believe me, Cuban’s don’t rule the roost completely, it’s a BIG state with a large PR and growing Mexican and Central American community in areas outside of Miami) but my handful of visits to the state is nothing compared to what Mel would probably be seeing for himself…

• 3 Wise Latino // Aug 8, 2009 at 7:51 pm

• 4 webmaster // Aug 9, 2009 at 8:58 am

“Mel Martinez=loser. Another latino suck up. AMERICANS, AMERICANS GD AMERICANS is what we need. This POS is just continuing the saga of BS. Open your eyes people. Mel is not the answer.”

Nobody here said that Mel is the answer, and he is American by the way. He became a citizen in the 60s, coming from Cuba in Operation Peter Pan.

• 5 Omario // Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 am

Hey how can we contribute to this blog!Love it but lets all work together…gotta get back to work..lol

• 6 Wise Latino // Aug 10, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Webby,

I meant AMERICANS working together vs. the derisive BS that this site and other spawn.

• 7 Michaelr // Aug 14, 2009 at 11:35 am

Maybe Melquiades Martinez will do an Arlen Specter and come back to extend his public career. I’m convinced the political tone and direction of the GOP drove him out. That’s too bad, because he was one of three Latino politicians who actually did any work there on Capitol Hill. Now Raul Grijalva is pretty much all by himself.