Secretary of Labor Solis tours a West Virginia Coal Mine

August 10th, 2009 · 16 Comments

Some people who comment on this blog have asserted that I only focus on the negative attributes or actions of our Latino politicians, but that certainly is not my goal. There are some leaders who quietly go about their jobs without much fanfare, praise or criticism. I think Hilda Solis is one of those individuals. Sure, she has received recognition, but for the most part, she seems to focus on the tasks at hand. I have met some people who have worked closely with the Secretary of Labor, and the consensus is that she takes her work very seriously.

Last week, Secretary Solis visited a coal mine in West Virginia, and I caught word of this via twitter, where she sent tweets from inside the mine. She wrote an op-ed piece about her experience in the mine featured in a local West Virginia paper, and I thought I would share it with you. I was particularly struck by this part:

“It was evident that management and labor can work together to ensure that workers are safe, earn a good wage, and can be proud that their work is contributing to meeting our nation’s diverse energy needs. It also reinforced my commitment to ensure that all American workers have the right to be safe and secure on the job and they return home to their family every night.”

At a time when the latest statistics reveal that Latino workers are injured or die on the job at higher rates, Secretary Solis’s work becomes even more meaningful in our community. Sure, she represents all Americans, but we can count on her to uphold values of worker safety and wage integrity.

Photo Credit: Department of Labor, To view more photos from Solis’s coal mine visit, click here.

Tags: Labor Relations · Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis

• 1 Omario // Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 am

very nice article…so glad…Secretary Solis is our Labor Sect…awesome!

• 2 BettyM // Aug 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm

It is good to hear about people in politics who are doing their jobs well and I am sure that Secretary Solis will be successful in helping all American workers – she is a determined individual who cares. I also want to hear about those politicians who could and should do more.

• 3 Reyfeo // Aug 12, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Hey WebMaster, how about you ask where Latinos (Americans only please) are with the HealthCare melt down your boy Obama is suffering…that makes for better conversation!

• 4 jammer // Aug 13, 2009 at 10:42 am

Hey Reyfeo, why don’t you get a brain. The meltdown is only in your puny mind. No sabes lo que dices.

• 5 Michaelr // Aug 14, 2009 at 11:23 am

What a class act Hilda Solis is. Hopefully her political career extends upward.

• 6 El Cholo // Aug 14, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I have to agree with that comment. Hilda Solis is truly a class act. She combines all the selfless qualities that inspire leadership, moral direction, and responsibility. Now why are those qualities such a rarity amongst the current lot of Federal and State Latino politicians? Why don’t we hear the thoughts of Anna the Apologist on that subject…or maybe we should really scrape the gutter and see what Reyfeo thinks.

• 7 Reyfeo // Aug 15, 2009 at 5:07 am

@Jammer,

Polls ar are significantly down…the steepest decline of any other recent President, to include “El Satan” himself Bush and you say there’s no melt down?

I know you won’t/can’t see clearly/through the ‘Rose Colored Glasses’ yet, but when you do and want to have a real dialogue chime in.

You must not be from the US? I’m I right?

• 8 Bearguez // Aug 15, 2009 at 7:56 pm

This is how civil servants are supposed to perform. I can assure you that Hilda Solis will not be holding fundraisers at the Playboy mansion.

• 9 DoctorH // Aug 18, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Hilda Solis is the modern standard for all Latino politicians to emulate. I miss Henry B. Gonzalez, and realize there will never be another like him. But Hilda is now the one who is carrying his mantle.

• 10 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:33 pm

adear hilda solis, i hope you can help me get a job.
    Sincerely,
    Jaim Ponce

JAIME PONCE 408 N 13 Street
    San José, CA 95112
    (408) 417-1118
    jaimepnc@yahoo.com

OBJECTIVE: I’m looking for a position in Spoken and Written Journalism/Sales.
    Summary of qualifications:
    • Honored by the CAC (California Arts Council) 2009
    • Radio y Televisión de Guanajuato
    • Cultural Journalism
    • Script Writer for Radio y Television de Guanajuato
    • Development Consultant
    • Reporter for the Hispanic Business Journal
    • Host of KSBW-TV 8

WORK EXPERIENCE:
    01/2009 – 06/2009
    Music/Guitar Teacher. Honored with a grant by the CAC (California Arts Council)
    Latino College Prep/National Hispanic University

0/2001 – 07/2005
    Community Organizer
    L.U.P.E ( La Unión del Pueblo Entero) Introduced by César Chávez in 1965.
    I organized Farm Workers to join the Farm Worker Union.

7/98 – 9/01
    Development Consultant SJMAG (San José Multicultural Artists Guild) First Artists in Residence at the Mexican Heritage 1998.
    • Wrote grant applications to fund youth theatre projects.
    • Recruited youth with problems on teen pregnancy, alcohol and abuse.
    • Dealt with corporations and foundations in a tactful manner.
    • Performed classical guitar. I lost my Position as a result of “9/11”.

10/94 – 6/98
    Interpreter and Reporter
    Festival Internacional Cervantino
    The FIC takes place in October in the beautiful city of Guanajuato, colonial jewel of the Americas to pay tribute and glory to Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra who gave form to the Spanish language.

06/88 – 06/94
    Script Writer for a Television Program entitled “Este Hogar Nuestro”
    Radio and Television of Gto.
    I worked under the direction of renown Dramatist Juan Ibáñez.
    I wrote scripts based on the “Consumer’s Guide” of Dr. Arturo Lomelí
    Radio y Television de Guanajuato
    Leon Guanajuato.

From 1985 to 1988-
    Host, KSBW-TV 8
    Salinas CA.
    I interviewed personalities and Artists in the Hispanic Community.
    Fot the past ten years I’ve been a Free-lance Journalist for several newspapers such as: “Horizontes”, “Tiempo Latino”, “El Observador”, “La Opinión”, “El Nacional”, “Radio Y Televisión de Gto.” “Revista Mexicana de Cultura” I was also Host for “KSBW- TV8” in the Spanish program “Puntos de Interés”

EDUCATION:
    University of California. BA In Spanish Journalism. Santa Cruz, CA
    Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Research on “Life and Works of Mariano José de Larra”, the First Spanish Journalist.

Certified by the Instituto Nacional de Traductores e Intérpretes, Mexico City.
    Chabot College, AA in General Education minor in Music. Hayward, CA

TRANSLATIONS:
    1. “The Berlitz Traveler’s Guide to Mexico”, Allen Tucker. English/Spanish
    New York, NY
    2. La Historia del Derecho Administrativo Federal Mexicano
    3. “Juego Mágico” to “The Magic ” of Juan Ibáñez, a renown Mexican Dramatist, first price winner of the San Antonio Theatre Festival, 1986, 1987

AWARD:
    Winner in the M.E.X.H.I.C.A. Chicano Literary Contest, entry published in the anthology “Sighs and Songs of Aztlán. Bakersfield College.

MEMBER OF VARIOUS ASSOCIATIONS:
    • Executive Director of “Cámara de Comercio, Comercianters y Profesionistas Unidos.
    • ATA (American Translators Association)
    • The Hispanic Business Journal, Reporter for the Spanish page.
    • National Association Against Corruption, A. C., Secretary. Endorsed by ex- President of Mexico Vicente Fox Quesada.
    • Defensores de la Flora y la Fauna, A.C. Secretary of Publications “Ecology Review Afredo Gugés”, A. C.
    • “Historical and Geneological Society of Santa Clara County. Translator.
    • “Los Amigos de la Biblioteca Latinoamericana”, Member.
    • Festival Internacional Cervantino. Interpreter and Reporter, Guanajuato, Mexico.

NATIONAL CONSERVATORY OF SPAIN Studies of Classical Guitar. Madrid, Spain

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

THIS IS A BRIEF DESCRIPTION ABOUT MY CHANGE OF CAREER

Thanks to electronics and technology, my career in Cultural Journalism has vanished in time and space. I worked for ten years as a Reporter, few years ago I wrote for the Hispanic Business Journal, since then, I have not found another job in Journalism.

For the past ten years (Excluding the last three years) I’ve worked in Spoken and Written Journalism in an international level: radio, television, important journals like
    “El Nacional”, and “Revista Mexicana de Cultura” in Mexico City.

I must go back to the Arts. For the past 20 yrs. I’ve dealt with the Fine Arts, having worked for the FIC (Festival Internacional Cervantino) as Coordinator of Events.
    I also worked for the SJMAG (San Jose Multicultural Artists Guild) We were the first artists in residence at the Mexican Heritage Plaza in 1999.

As an Artist, I have three artistic expressions: Classical Guitar, Voice and Poetry.
    I would be a true asset at the California Arts Council, or at San Jose Arts Council, given my sensitivity and ample experience in the Arts.

In conclusion, I’ve worked as Community Organizer; I worked for L.U.P.E (la Unión del Pueblo Entero) introduced by César Chávez and Dolores Huerta in 1965.

Finally, I will accept any job in San Jose, Sacramento or anywhere.

Thank you for your understanding about my professional tragedy, and will deeply appreciate any opportunity in employment.

Sincerely,
    Jaime Ponce

• 11 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Dear Hilda Solis, Congratulatios for your appointment by President Obama. I’m currently looking for work. I have been unemployed for two years since in San Jose, County, City, and Corporate jobs are almost exclusive for whites and Asians (Specially women) on the other hand, my career in Journalism have been vanished in time and space.I will appreiate any advice or any job. I have important publications in three countries: Spain, Mexico and the USA.

• 12 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for your time on this issue of unemployment.

• 13 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

UI’m willing to come to Washington DC, to look for work.

• 14 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I am coming to Washington DC. Frankly I’ll tell you. I was out of luck for a job during the Bush Administration. They got rid of Checks and Balances, and you cannot image the levels of currumption in all institutions.

• 15 Jaime Ponce // Sep 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Gracias.

• 16 Secretary of Labor Solis gets serious about workplace safety with BP // Nov 1, 2009 at 7:18 pm

[…] getting serious about enforcing workplace safety laws. Back in August, she toured a West Virginia coal mine, tweeting her experience. Now she is coming out swinging against the oil industry, as OSHA issued a […]