Rep. Loretta Sanchez’s Health Care Prayer Vigil

August 12th, 2009 · 18 Comments

The health care debate from what I have seen in clips at the town hall meetings across the country is certainly taking a turn towards the irrational. The dialogue isn’t very productive, and some people are showing up outside town hall meetings with firearms. The dialogue is further diminished when politicians like Sarah Palin spread false claims about death panels. In my view, the level of discourse in the health care debate is symptomatic of our country’s lack of education and civic engagement. People get riled up without having read the health care memorandums or even looked at the bills. Personally, I am of the opinion that we need some sort of health care reform. Prior to having insurance through an employer, my own monthly health premium was around $240 for a very basic plan. I don’t even want to imagine what it would be if I had some serious condition that would prevent me from obtaining a personal plan.

Congresswoman Sanchez, one of the most popular subjects of this blog, held a town hall or rather was invited to speak at a health care prayer vigil in her district on August 2. I’m a big believer in keeping politics out of church and vice versa, so I’m a little puzzled by this. Check it out and feel free to share your thoughts:

I don’t disagree with Rep. Sanchez’s message, but I have a problem with the delivery. Having this sort of event at a church or faith based organization makes it look like the church is endorsing this policy and candidate. I don’t like it when politicians on either side of the political spectrum use congregations in this manner. It is disingenuous and manipulative.

I also find Loretta Sanchez’s tone and demeanor in this clip to be rather shrill and condescending. She speaks in cliches, points and bops her head around, proclaiming to be the only Congressional member from Orange County to have voted for the stimulus package and healthy families. Out of all the progressive voices in Orange County given the proximity of a major research University (UC Irvine), is this the best California’s 47th district has to offer?

Tags: health care · Rep. Loretta Sanchez

• 1 PMG! // Aug 12, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Not that I don’t agree with about 99.9% of your post, but health care discussions are very relevant to many congregations that have parishioners who have suffered job and insurance loss. Aside from saying prayers for a quick resolution to the health care solution, there is also information shared, such as the recent RAM visit in Inglewood and we often get visits from QueensCare representatives for fund-raising and for help just getting the word out that there is help out there… With true local news coverage absolutely DYING… Church and other local social groups are really the best way to find out what is happening in your own back yard…

• 2 jammer // Aug 13, 2009 at 10:34 am

On a personal level I pray alot and I ask everyone to pray that the shrill tone set by the ultraconservative republican voices does not drown the message that we need a universal health care system in America that covers all Americans equally. I have traveled to countries where there is universal health coverage and seen it personally. In those countries people are generally healthier and are happy with their coverage. We have all read stories in the papers of rich Americans going to India to have surgery procedures they either can’t get or are to expensive here. The republican shrills who are getting reimbursed by the insurance and health care industry will continue to distort the truth. Give me a break…, death panels. When my father became ill with Alzheimer’s it was comforting to him and us the family to hear the options and then letting him decide his path on his final journey. That’s what this plan calls for. Not some one deciding that your time is up and you need to be put to death as the opponents of universal health care would have you believe. So ,back to prayer. I pray everyone uses a little common sense when considering this important bill which will help all Americans get medical coverage, regardless of class status.

• 3 sbello // Aug 13, 2009 at 11:04 am

Loretta has been and continues to be a disappointment. I don’t think she’ll survive this campaign cycle.

Her reputation on the hill is bad and she is not highly respected by her peers. I believe this is mainly due to the fact she chose to be the coquettish ingénue rather than be taken seriously.

Loretta is no Hilda Solis!

• 4 Cockroach People // Aug 13, 2009 at 6:53 pm

This is a faith-based community organizing group, part of the PICO network. This type of organizing was pioneered in Chicago by Saul Alinsky and the Industrial Areas Foundation. Churches in this tradition organize an event and request the presence of their politicians to support the issues their members choose. A politician that supports the group’s work is considered an ally on that issue and potentially an ally in general. Those who don’t accept these invitations or don’t support the issues often become targets.

I believe in the separation of church and state for all the reasons that Madison gave in support of the Establishment Clause. I do, however, believe that people of faith should be involved in politics–these are two very different ideas. Politicians respect power ( or as Alinsky said: “power respects power”). Wielding the power of congregations is a small influence on the debate compared to corporations, but a united front is better than an amorphous mass of the faithful.

I don’t think Sanchez is using the church here as much as being smart enough not to make herself a target of OCCCO. Its too bad that she was already going to support health care–no real win to highlight OCCCO’s work (fluff, really). If only the issue were the Dream Act. In Illinois, several similar groups have pinned targets to committing to support immigration bills. If it is one of their issues, I would not give Sanchez a platform if she refuses to support a key issue like that–I’d make her a target. Given the Einwechter stuff, I would not have selected her for that reason anyway.

Is she a bit shrill and inept? Yes, but we already knew that.

• 5 Michaelr // Aug 14, 2009 at 11:20 am

Those were insightful comments Cockroach People. But I think what’s obvious here is Loretta Sanchez’s contempt for this particular group of people. All the finger pointing, hand gestures, and that offensive condescending tone she takes when addressing this group suggests she is absolutely clueless in how to engage with different people in general. Amongst her colleagues in the House, she has an almost compliant manner when addressing her opinions and views, but here she feels such superiority to the members in this group that she displays the need to dictate her opinions and tell a few white lies. Can you imagine being emotionally involved with this woman? I actually feel sorry for that Lobbyist who left his wife and family for her. What a repulsive woman.

• 6 El Cholo // Aug 14, 2009 at 11:57 am

Why didn’t the Vietnamese Priest smack Loretta with his Pope hat? That could’ve brought that shrill condescending voice of hers down several notches.

• 7 theKaiser // Aug 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Higher education is totally wasted on some people. Loretta Sanchez, Rosario Marin, and Antonio Villaraigosa are good examples of that. El Cholo really hit the nail on the head…why didn’t the Vietnamese Priest smack Loretta Sanchez with his pope hat the minute she started into her diatribe. How offensive is this woman? And what does this say about all the voters in California’s 47th Congressional District?

• 8 DoctorH // Aug 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I was asked by one of her staffers to introduce Loretta Sanchez as the “Honorable Congresswoman from California,” and I couldn’t stop laughing after hearing that request. Well I didn’t introduce her as the “Honorable Congresswoman from California, and this obviously set the tone for Loretta (Brixey) Sanchez’s speech, which only lasted six minutes after we had allocated her thirty minutes to share her thoughts and insights on several challenges facing the Congressional Armed Services Committee. She didn’t take that same condescending tone she does in the YouTube video with our group, but rather she seemed intimidated. It seems Loretta likes to get her ya-ya’s out lecturing to religious, lower class, uneducated groups flaunting herself as some person of substance. The Dream Act volunteers that have spoken at our offices say she does the same thing to them, and they are routinely offended and these are high school and college aged children trying to elevate themselves from their current social class through higher education which is supposed to increase their vocational opportunities. There was an opportunity for her to raise donations and contributions for her campaign and the DNC, but her performance was so superficial, she turned a lot of contributors off. I can see why she turns to Hugh Hefner and that social environment to always raise funds for her campaigns. She has got to be one of the most superficial and duplicitous Congress people on the Hill. And that’s the type of politician we don’t want, or need any longer if we’re to repair the mistakes of the last eight years.

• 9 Bearguez // Aug 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Don’t you wonder how the upper brass of the U.S. Army working at the Pentagon, especially those interacting directly with the Joint Chiefs of Staff deal with this political aberration within their culture? All those centuries of efforts to instill and convey that image of honor, duty, and loyalty to their country and they have to listen to Loretta Sanchez pontificate that superficial, dim, and condescending patter so common at the Playboy mansion, whenever she shows up with Jack Einwechter at any U.S. Army social function. Maybe since I deal with them from a distance, I don’t inhale that inducing hypocrisy that they all seem to breathe on Capitol Hill. Watching her deal with the OCCCO in that abrasive condescending manner of hers, the finger pointing, the hand gestures, and that shrill tone accompanied by all the usual lies makes wonder how they deal with such an internally ugly human being. It certainly says something about California’s 47th Congressional district.

• 10 Liz // Aug 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Whether you support or don’t support this bill, can you imagine if a church like Clavary Chapel or Crystal Cathedral held a prayer vigil to pray that the bill did NOT pass? This is all very hypocritical to me.

• 11 DoctorH // Aug 18, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Of course it’s hypocritical…wholly hypocritical…unbelievably hypocritical. But what do you expect of people with a sheep mentality? That’s why religious intrusions into politics make for terrible laws and even worse leaders.

• 12 Cockroach People // Aug 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm

“That’s why religious intrusions into politics make for terrible laws and even worse leaders.”

Does that include Dr. King? Mahatma Gandhi? Cesar Chavez? Dorothy Day?

• 13 DoctorH // Aug 18, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Dorothy Day, and most notably Cesar Chavez were social activists first, and neither one of these social activists advocated hatred, or used religious ideology as a sledgehammer to demonize and segregate ethnic or social groups. Malcolm X walked that line, and often crossed over it, but he never embraced a self-righteous attitude, nor did he paint illusions to his public. Can you imagine the late Jerry Falwell as a Congressman?

• 14 Cockroach People // Aug 19, 2009 at 9:07 am

I had the privilege of speaking with Cesar Chavez on several occassions; his activism was strongly rooted in his faith. Dr. King was a preacher first. His idea of Christianity commanded him to out his faith into action:

How long [will it take for Justice]? Not long, (Yes, sir) because “no lie can live forever.” (Yes, sir). How long? Not long, (All right. How long) because “you shall reap what you sow.” (Yes, sir)
    How long? (How long?) Not long: (Not long)
    Truth forever on the scaffold, (Speak)
    Wrong forever on the throne, (Yes, sir)
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, (Yes, sir)
    And, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow,
    Keeping watch above his own.
    How long? Not long, because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. (Yes, sir)
    How long? Not long, (Not long) because:
    Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord; (Yes, sir)
    He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored; (Yes)
    He has loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword; (Yes, sir)
    His truth is marching on. (Yes, sir)
    He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat; (Speak, sir)
    He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat. (That’s right)
    O, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! Be jubilant my feet!
    Our God is marching on. (Yeah)
    Glory, hallelujah! (Yes, sir) Glory, hallelujah! (All right)
    Glory, hallelujah! Glory, hallelujah!
    His truth is marching on. [Applause]

• 15 Cockroach People // Aug 19, 2009 at 9:11 am

DoctorH–I think we can agree that one should not use religious ideology (actually, ANY IDEOLOGY) to “demonize and segregate ethnic and social groups.”

No, it would be a sad, sad day to have a Falwell type as a Congressman. I no longer live in Cali; so, I have also been spared having Sanchez as a Congresswoman too!

• 16 theKaiser // Aug 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Cockroach People:
    What do you think of Luis Gutierrez’s performance in Congress? He misses a lot of votes, and is really into protecting the Loan Sharking vendors. Give us your opinion in two thousand words or less.

• 17 Cockroach People // Aug 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I’ve always said he is a good showman–he raises a raucous about immigration issues to ensure that his Mexican base here reelects him every time (in-district Puerto Ricans don’t support him). He also gets himself arrested here and there as needed for attention: http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/vol4n17/ProtesArrested-en.html

Here’s a comment that I made recently on my friend’s public radio piece (re: payday lender contributions to Gutierrez’s campaign):

Reylc, South Loop // Thursday, July 02, 2009 @ 8:41 PM

This is disgusting. But no one should be surprised. He has never been a trustworthy politician. First he’s independent, then he’s with the machine. This guy will say and do anything to get elected. He’s run people against his own allies (against Del Valle back in the day) and he’s endorsed mediocre hacks to the chagrin of progressives who normally support him because of his immigration positions. He should return the money and then go take a shower! (full post at http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=35277)

158 words, I think ;)

• 18 Tax Revolt 2009 » Blog Archive » Sanchez Phoning It In // Oct 19, 2009 at 10:05 am

[…] the opportunity to push her government takeover agenda and attack her Orange County critics.  Even liberal supporters condemned her tactic as “disingenuous and […]