NBC yields to more privilege in hiring Jenna Bush Hager

August 30th, 2009 · 14 Comments

Last year, I wrote a short blog piece explaining how disappointed I was in NBC for giving Luke Russert a job right out of college (this was shortly after his pops had died), while the field of journalism struggles with mass layoffs and more qualified reporters, writers, and correspondents are in career limbo.

Well, NBC has done it again — this time hiring Jenna Bush Hager, the daughter of former President George W. Bush to be a correspondent covering education issues. I know a bit about education issues myself, having worked in a few higher education institutions while finishing my terminal graduate degree in the field, and let me tell you, I could probably rattle off a dozen more qualified people than Jenna Bush Hager for such a job. Sadly, my colleagues don’t have the privilege of being a President’s child.

But what makes this hiring more disturbing is the possibility that Jenna is a chip off the old block.

“I hope to focus on what I’m passionate about because I think I’d do them best job on them — education, urban education, women and children’s issues and literacy,” said Hager.

I’m hoping that the Associated Press misquoted her or made a typo because she doesn’t sound very articulate in the above cited statement, but time will tell, right?

Tags: GWB · Media

• 1 reenee // Aug 30, 2009 at 9:39 pm

It’s about time the Today Show added some comedy to their early morning lineup.

• 2 darrel armstrong // Aug 31, 2009 at 2:24 pm

When Preston Bush was caught trafficling with the Nazis in WWII. He was allowed to retire to Texas with his ill gotten gains. His wealth got his son George into the Ivy League anyway, and eventually positioned as head of our secret police, Vice President, & the presidency. He in turn saved his son George from taking the heat
    on several mismanaged companies after staying loaded while beating the draft only to gain the Texas statehouse and with some help the Whitehouse, where his daughters showed exceptional talent at drunken revels. Is it a surprise they are now being graced with high paying jobs they have no qulafications for?

• 3 Michaelr // Aug 31, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Absolutely not, that is how the upper 10% of the American population remains in the upper 10% of the American population. Had Prescott Bush been named Prescott Gonzalez, he would’ve been shot for treason. Aside from that, this also demonstrates NBC’s attempts to emulate FOX, and fully move away from the information business into the entertainment business.

• 4 DoctorH // Aug 31, 2009 at 5:56 pm

We could have a decade long discussion on the crimes of Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Jeb Bush, Neil Bush, and Marvin Bush. But why bother? The Bush family is proof that the rule of law touted so much by the GOP is only discriminatory when it applies to people of color. George W. Bush could’ve raped a seven year old boy on the White House lawn, stabbed him to death, had it taped and shown online and on all the news networks, and FOX news and the Religious right would’ve worked it around to claim that the seven year old boy was threatening Bush and his murder was justifiable. This is why NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, and FOX should not be your only source for news and information. And the hiring of Jenna Bush Hager should only confirm that.

• 5 theKaiser // Aug 31, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I heard from a source at NBC that Sarah Palin wanted millions of dollars to do this, and Jenna Bush Hager was less expensive. But what does that tell you about NBC’s news reporter’s qualifications? That you have to be stupid, inarticulate, and white to get the job? Maybe she has other talents a young woman of color can’t do?

• 6 Reyfeo // Aug 31, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Wow!

You guys sound like a bunch of savage envious left of center nuts!

…raping kids in the White House lawn?
    …inarticulate, and white to get he job?

I know I’m right of center on a lot of issues but you no-kidding offer concrete evidence the left of center liberals can’t have a decent discussion.

The fact is NBC is a liberal news center…the ratings show it is dropping lots of viewers, probably because it catered to people that think just like you. Fortunate for the rest of (us) this country, and the ratings prove it, you’re on an island. NBC knows there’s not enough viewer-ship (with hard lefties like you guys that is) it feels it has to bring in low threat conservatives to show they too are “fair and balanced” (pardon the pun; LOL!).

…and as for Palin, she wouldn’t be caught dead on NBC…she’d lose the rock star status with conservatives if she did that. Really, she’s not as stupid as you all make her out to be…LOL

• 7 Jocko Johnson // Aug 31, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Pardon me guys but didn’t you all just get done crying for one of the biggest coat-tail riding dirt-bags in the political world. Your beloved Kennedy’s are about as privledged as they come. I could go on with the ridiculous nepotistic hypocrisy the left but that would require a lot of space.

After reading posts on this site for about a week it seems many of you are just plain Bat-s**t crazy. With a pinch of racism.

• 8 What The.. // Aug 31, 2009 at 8:45 pm

NBC, CBS, ABC are not real news reporting institutions anymore, and are more likely to be governement controlled than anything. Thats why I read the National Enquire…

• 9 wendycarrillo // Sep 2, 2009 at 8:57 am

*ahem
    to go back to the original question, i really do hope she was misquoted. but unfortunately it offers a real glimpse on how education is valued in America. I WOULD like to see Jenna reporting on the Obama Sept 8 student address that Glen Beck is calling the “indoctrination” of our children.
    What would the daughter of a former Republican President have to say or add to the conversation. Education is bi-partisan. All parties should want to see American children educated right?
    or so i hope.

• 10 Jocko Johnson // Sep 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Great poinst Wendy. Since Obama is the CURRENT POTUS how about we stick to his policies. What he did with “School Choice” in D.C. speaks volumes about were his loyalties are. With Unions! Education is bipartisan but it seems that one group has a lot more control than the other. Despite the Glen Beck issue their is absolute indoctrination taking place in education. The re-writing of history is one example. The teachings that the “most benevolent country in the history of the world” is a bad place absolutely takes place in school. Focusing on Glen Beck on not the facts proves that many are hung up on partisan bickering rather than truth. I spend zero time arguing about what Keith Olberman says because it is pointless.

• 11 Miss Karma // Sep 3, 2009 at 7:01 pm

So NBC hires Jenna Bush the former first daughter of former George W Bush huh?
    Pardon my departure from my Christian faith, but:

I BETTER NOT HEAR ONE MORE OUNCE OF ITCHING AND MOANING FROM CONSERVATIVES ABOUT AFFIRMATIVE ACTION BEING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT, NOR THE APPOINTMENT OF SC JUSTICE SONIA SOTOMAYOR BEING AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PICK! LIBERAL MEDIA MY BACKSIDE!

…now let me exhale deeply

• 12 Michaelr // Sep 3, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Thank you Miss Karma…that was fun to read.

• 13 Pablo // Sep 4, 2009 at 1:42 pm

What would be interesting is to find out how long she will last and what kind of viewers she will attract. I know I won’t be one of them.

• 14 El Cholo // Sep 7, 2009 at 7:51 am

This is another reason to stop watching network television. I am sure NBC will defend this position by saying they were seeking a correspondent who reflects the mentality and views of “Generation Y.” If Jenna Bush is that then “Generation Y” is really in trouble.