Seneca returns with observations about President Obama and Latinos

October 11th, 2009 · 32 Comments

Seneca has been on hiatus, but he’s back with some great observations about Latinos in the Obama administration and in the federal government in general:

Obama has already demonstrated that he is the first US President to appoint more Latinos in his administration than any other President before him. His crowning achievement was to get Sonia Sotomayor on the US Supreme Court. It involved a first Latino appointment and a woman at the same time. Senate confirmation appointments of Latinos last counted was right under 50. These means Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor, Cabinet members Hilda Solis (Labor) and Ken Salazar (Interior), several Under Secretaries like Maria Otero at State, about a score of assistant secretaries; included also are ambassadors and federal judges. The non-confirmable slots reflect even higher numbers of Latinos have been given employment by the administration. Plainly, Obama and his team are betting that the Latino vote will continue to grow and thrive while the GOP tacks to the wrong side of a looming immigration reform legislative battle which many pundits suggest will turn ‘dirty’: anti-immigrant, then anti-Mexican and possibly racist anti-Latino. Yet it is difficult at times to understand the slowness of the recognition of Latinos by both parties.

One can readily surmise that for years in the affrimative action wars and the hard fought battles for equality significant Federal Court orders have been issued in favor of women and African-Americans, but judicial remedy for Latinos has been scarce or absent. The rap in Washington is that Latinos (now the largest ethnic minority in the country) do not sue in general, therefore the government or the private sector has not detected a real ‘penalty’ for not recruiting or retaining or  promoting Hispanics. This has further exacerbated the insufficient numbers of Latinos in appointed positions and career status in the federal bureaucracies.

Nearly fifty years ago John Kennedy appointed the first two Hispanic US Ambassadors (both political appointees: Raymond Telles and Teodoro Moscoso) and the first Hispanic Federal Judge Reynaldo de la Garza (if one does not consider Sephardic Jew Ben Cardozo by FDR). Subsequently, we saw Lyndon Johnson name the first career Hispanic US diplomat as an ambassador (John Jova to Honduras). Later, in the seventies President Gerald Ford named the first Hispanic to be an Assistant Secretary (Al Zapanta to Interior). Earlier in the sixties, the first Latino with the rank of a four star officer Admiral Horacio Rivero of Puerto Rico was named. Richard Cavazos of Texas followed him as the first Latino four-star General in the US Army. Cavazos’ brother, Lauro Cavazos was named by President Reagan as the first Latino Cabinet (Education) member in the history of the US. Two civilian military heads of service named were Ed Hidalgo as Navy Secretary under President Carter and Louis Caldera, Secretary of the Army under Clinton. The first Hispanic National Security Council official (under Clinton) with the rank of Special Assistant to the President was Arturo Valenzuela (Valenzuela is now being named by Pres. Obama as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere). [CORRECTION: Valenzuela was not first Latino on NSC at White House. Jose Sorzano (Cuban-American) under Reagan was first.] To be certain, we have seen numerous Latinos appointed to key jobs and many other positions of influence not just token or symbolic positions. Yet Latinos continue to be under-represented in the federal bureaucracy.

A studied glance at the Pentagon will reveal the roster for general officers. One can readily notice that of the several hundred active duty general/flag rank officers in the US military, there are a handful with Hispanic last names, but only three of these general rank officers are Latino. The fact is that Latinos are not sufficiently represented in the career senior ranks of the federal bureaucracy and in the US military establishment. Clearly, the problem lies in recruitment, retention, job assignment and speed of promotion. Two underlining factors contribute to this less than satisfactory situation. First, the lack of any effective judicial or legal order court ordering or manifesting any vested interest in remedying Latino under-representation. Added to this is the discernible lack of understanding or knowledge by too many Latinos on how the federal bureaucracy (the corporate culture) works. Nor do they seem to possess an adequate appreciation of mastering the organization’s unwritten rules. Meaningful mentorship and Godfathers (padrinos) in the bureaucracy remain a scarce resource for Latinos. Some observers note that most university trained Latinos do not consider or go into public service. They tend to prefer the private sector or the non-profit type of organizations. It should be noted here that the numbers or proportion of Latinos in the private sector doing well or being better representative of the larger Hispanic population remains truly a more difficult challenge to rectify. Again, Obama has not short-changed the Latinos. Nonetheless, the Latino community must now ensure that the next generation of Latino appointees or career types are better equipped to understand and navigate the troubled waters of the tangled bureaucracy. The Latino community will need to brace itself for the on-going acrimonious health-care reform efforts, the looming immigration reform and the economic and tax adjustments. All Latinos will be stakeholders in these action items at one point or another…

Photo Credit: Miguel Alvarez, photo of President Obama at last month’s CHCI Gala

Tags: African-Americans · Barack Obama · diversity · GOP · Immigration · Secretary of Interior Salazar · Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis · Seneca · Supreme Court

• 1 Michaelr // Oct 11, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for confirming what I already thought. And all this whining and crying about Obama not doing anything for Latinos is just the standard whining and crying by the usual twisted suspects.

• 2 Anna // Oct 11, 2009 at 4:07 pm

So what has Obama done for Mexican-Americans?

It would be nice if he could at least neuter Joe Arapaio and stop him from rounding up and arresting anybody with brown skin.

And what about pressing civil rights charges against the thugs who beat and killed Luis Ramirez?

Has he appointed any Mexican-American judges?

So, tell me, what has he done?

• 3 Reyfeo // Oct 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Nothing Anna, this is more liberal spin to curate Nobama’s growing problem–angry Latinos who are seeing through the BS!!

• 4 Anna // Oct 11, 2009 at 4:44 pm

On this issue, I agree with you. He hasn’t even said anything about the rotten economy. Unless things change, he will be one term due to low voter turnout.

• 5 Wendy // Oct 11, 2009 at 4:54 pm

As a Salvadoran, Anna, your rhetoric is very offensive. Being Latino is not solely about being Mexican. We all bear the same burdens. And yes, while Mexican-Americans are the largest national demographic WITHIN the Latino community, I would highly advise you to fully read the article before writing fallacious comments that add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I would also remind you that being “Mexican” has little to do with actually advocating for Latinos. Don’t forget about the incredible Alberto Gonzalez who under G.W Bush did little to actually represent Mexican/Latino interests.
    Come on girl, get educated.

• 6 Anna // Oct 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Re: “Being Latino is not solely about being Mexican.”

When did I say it was? Why are you so threatened when I ask what Obama has done for Mexican-Americans?

• 7 webmaster // Oct 11, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Anna,

Obama has appointed Ken Salazar, Hilda Solis (half Mexican and Nicaraguan), and within his WH executive offices, there are other Mexican-Americans. I was just there last month, and I saw it for myself. They all seemed to be very hopeful. Actually, I know a Mexican American who is headed to the WH next month, and it has taken him months to land a position there. It doesn’t happen over night.

These appointments take time. The previous post on the blog was about our dismal educational attainment. How are we supposed to get on the federal bench and in these other cabinet positions when so many of us can’t pull ourselves away from the telenovelas or mall?

It is amazing that smaller groups (look at the Jewish Americans for example) have worked themselves into the federal bureaucracy at high levels and have experienced some pretty nasty oppression and circumstances as well.

• 8 Michael "Mayor Sam" Higby // Oct 11, 2009 at 8:12 pm

By the way did you know that Raymond Telles is the father-in-law of former California Assembly Speaker Bob Herztberg. Hertzberg is married to Raymond’s daughter, Dr. Cynthia Telles.

• 9 Anna // Oct 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Re: “Seneca is trying to lay out the realities of the federal government about how many of us don’t understand its “corporate culture” or how to leverage the legal system for decisions that could impact diversity hiring.”

Frankly, I saw the list of Mexican-Americans on Obama’s transition team, and there were a lot of highly qualified professionals, such as Dr. Mario Molina. I didn’t see any of them named to anything.

And that’s not my only complaint about him. He has done nothing to help CA. The federal government siphons our tax dollars and sends them to Wall St. and overseas, and meanwhile Californians watch their school system dismantled, etc. I blame Obama and our two US Senators.

Can I ask you something? Are you now dispatched to defend Obama? I heard that the WH had a conference call with bloggers, including Latino bloggers. A webmaster on another Latinos blog, who I won’t name, now goes nuts if you criticize Obama’s performance in any way.

• 10 webmaster // Oct 12, 2009 at 6:15 am

Anna: “Why doesn’t this person identify himself and his profession? Why should I believe that he knows what he is talking about?”

Some people don’t want to be identified as bloggers and perhaps want to write more freely about their perceptions. You can search this blog for “Seneca” posts, and if you have any sort of deductive reasoning, you are going to figure out that he knows his stuff. The Seneca posts are full of detail, history, etc. It is not as if “Seneca” spends his days watching Don Francisco or soccer. He experiences what he writes about.

As for Dr. Mario Molina, he is an environmental researcher, who is probably content being in academia. Seneca raises a good point about “padrinos” and mentors though. Why should some of these Latinos leave the comfort of their ivory towers to go work in govt? DC is cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Dr. Molina is 66 years old. If he has led a successful life in academe up until this point, why uproot and go to the federal govt?

As for me being dispatched to defend Obama, I haven’t received those marching orders, and I’m pretty sure that “Seneca” hasn’t as well. From what I have experienced, Obama’s outreach to Latino bloggers and the Latino leadership does seem genuine. I can write more about my experiences with it later.

• 11 Reyfeo // Oct 12, 2009 at 6:46 am

Anna, you have a point…without sounding like a conspiracy nut about bloggers being bought off by NObama and his wooing ways, I think there’s merit in your thoughts…other blogs I visit get defensive about any NObama criticism.

Fact is, Nobama has and will do nothing for the Latino until about late next year when he realizes for sure his Latino vote is in the balance and has to start looking good again…we have idiots for leaders, they’ll fall for it again…its the Latino way.

• 12 Tomas // Oct 12, 2009 at 7:58 am

(shameless plug warning) I try to walk a line of balance on my site HispanicTips.com and yes bloggers and all media are played to some degree but as one of the few Latino bloggers to get media creds to the DNC last year no one has recently tried to “influence” me other than the standard and useless e-mails and press releases. But then again I am a different kind of blogger. Knowledge is Power.

• 13 El Cholo // Oct 12, 2009 at 11:06 am

More whining from dumb and dumber… and you wonder why the Latino community can’t progress in an upward slant. Here is a good example why.

• 14 Jaango // Oct 12, 2009 at 11:13 am

I have two observations and followed by a generic comment.

And secondly, Obama appointments of Latinos is important since such appointments demonstrate the viability of role models for the younger generation. And that’s important, as well.

As a general comment, upwards of 85% of our community voted for Obama and Biden, and premised on “promises made”. Thus, “promises kept” is equally important. Consequently, public policy is far more important, especially with health care currently on the table and with cap and trade for energy will follow. But after listening to what Obama had to say to the LBGT community this past weekend, his “promises kept” has come up far short. So, I am not expecting Obama to do “immigration reform” for at least the next several years. And Card Check will have been jettisoned due to the Chamber of Commerce’s representative currently residing in the White House and in the name of Rahm Emanuel.

And finally, speaking of Emanuel, he is not liking Chicano Vets since he has been informed that “No Native American or Chicano will be fighting and dying in Israel for the Nation of Israel…Israel has had an abundant number of years to reach their political accommodation with the Palestinians.”

Jaango

• 15 El Cholo // Oct 12, 2009 at 11:18 am

This is how you communicate an idea on a political blog. Well said Jaango. I may not agree with all of it, but you conveyed your opinion in an intelligent manner.

• 16 AmericaNica // Oct 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I can understand and empathize with the level of frustration that some in our community have over the perceived tedious and long process toward “the change” promised by President Obama. I am and will be holding him accountable for his promises but I will not throw the first rock if I am not part of the solution!!

Having worked in government and private sector at different levels of management for several years, I can attest to the level of “red tape” and bureaucratic challenges faced by our leaders in the government and private sector. As we can all attest, change is difficult for some individuals to embrace much less a bureaucratic process that has been fed by fear and ignorance for many years. Thus, I ask our community to be patient; we are cleaning up eight years of economic, environmental, social, and cultural setbacks. Rome was not built in a day…

I would also caution against continuing the divide amongst us Latinos (we represent different levels of ethnic, class, and racial backgrounds). Would a Mexican-American be the strongest and best Latino voice, in comparison, to a Puerto Rican?

The attributes that I look for in our Latina (o) leaders that I hope get appointed focus more on content, conviction, ethics, leadership, values, etc…I don’t focus on the region they represent, country, color of skin, hair, etc…

I am raising my son of Nicaraguan and Mexican heritage to embrace and respect both cultures. We must unite under the cause of empowering our youth and new immigrants. Our voices united must be heard, otherwise, we will continue to have a high school drop-out rate of 50% (SCA rate).

• 17 BettyM // Oct 12, 2009 at 2:17 pm

AmericaNica –
    I agree with you 100% – especially about being “part of the solution”!!

• 18 Anna // Oct 12, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Re: “First, 40% of our Spanish-speaking community is beholden to “government” in order that we can feed our families. Of course, I am speaking of either working directly for government or working for government on contractual basis.”

That isn’t true. 40% of Latinos do not work for the government. lol In fact, Latinos are underrepresented in government jobs and in government contracting. The exception is the Cubans.

• 19 Anna // Oct 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Re: “P.S. On a side note, California’s lack of strong leadership created the mess we are currently in, not the Federal government.”

No, the feds are involved too. CA pays more in taxes to the federal government than it gets back in services. CA is a donor state. Our taxes are used to fund the war and to bail out the crooks on Wall St. instead of spent on our own state. Frankly, Feinstein and Boxer don’t put this state first anymore.

As for the state government, too many dummies voted for Arnold. It should be no surprise that putting an unqualified actor in charge of the former 5th largest economy in the world has turned out to be a disaster. Duh.

• 20 NotChicano // Oct 12, 2009 at 9:27 pm

The lack of mentorships within bureacracies is probably one of the biggest problems we face. Good job on identifying that. This is a very complex issue that applies to both Latinos and Latinas, and all different types of Latino cultures.

My point is that having Latinos appointed to key positions within his administration is a positive step towards addressing that issue. Let’s give Obama credit and show the same kind of support he has shown for us.

• 21 Jaango // Oct 13, 2009 at 4:58 am

Anna@18

As I was contemplating how to respond to your always insightful posts, permit me to drag you further toward and in the direction of Progress.

Take, for example, Corporate America’s profit taking has been increasing and yet, capital reinvestment is tanking. During the second quarter of this year, cost cutting was focused on job losses and layoffs, and yet, only .01% of this profit taking was reinvested, the lowest since 1947. And furthermore, two-thirds of the Obama Stimulus has not been spent, and which will come forth in the form of ‘government contracts’ of a varied sort.

And if I were to ‘listen’ to the Right, my attention should be solely focused on the immigrant that is either seeking or working at a local Taco Bell. And yet, asking for my “royalty payment” from Taco Bell Organization for utilizing my indigenous products (from the Five Finger Methodology) for their profit-taking, is not going to happen, since economic justice is not deemed a factor in Leadership for a Philosophy for Thought and Action as practiced among the cognoscenti on the political Right. And in addition, asking the Bald Headed White Guys or the Legacy Cabal for the return of my “found” America in its pristine condition, is not going to be achieved in my lifetime.

And when it comes to ‘leadership’, I tend to be anal retentive, especially as it applies to the Center-Left. Thus, when I look at the Bush/Cheney Model, I see a third rate model as this “legacy”. As to the Obama “legacy” and from my current perspective, he is sitting on a “second rate” model, and that is by his Choice. Perhaps, he will surprise me, and move it up the economic, social and political ladder to the first rate model. If so, he will get my vote in 2012.

Jaango

• 22 Reyfeo // Oct 13, 2009 at 5:47 am

I suggest you don’t hold your breath on that happening…

“and yet, only .01% of this profit taking was reinvested, the lowest since 1947″—you’re a business man and or come from a family of business folks, put yourself in Corp America’s shoes say about two years ago. If you saw the economic down fall that we’re in now coming, would you re-invest in anything, probably not. A lot of what happens in business is common sense, not everybody is out to get us.

Contracts? Are you kidding…the left over money in the Stim bill has little $$ for contracts…and I would say most of it is going to big ticket hires like Science and Engineering (where Latinos are poorly represented). Ever been to Plant 42 out in Palmdale? Not many Latinos walking around taking advantage of contracts bro. What about the shipyards in Louisiana and or ole Miss…trust me, we sweep floors there, but we ain’t getting paid for shipbuilding.
    Oh, I’m sorry, you’re talking about social welfare contracts, the kind that produce NOTHING…what happens when the stim $$ runs out, then what, another almost $1 trillion to stimulate this economy…sorry, Nobama’s economics aren’t making any sense to me.

Also, keep in mind, you’re dealing with third graders here, that whole Taco Bell and “Royalty” crap you just spewed made little sense to me…I’m sure there was a shorter way to say you hate Taco Bell since you are part Mexican and think they stole your Taco idea? lol!
    As for leadership…Nobama is quickly showing he sucks at leadership…I understand he’s reaching out to the Muslim world by degrading America, but even us hate mongering Latinos, don’t appreciate him throwing us under the bus. You ask me he’s a Great politician, but on leadership is about fourth rate and getting worth.

• 23 Jaango // Oct 13, 2009 at 8:20 am

Reyfeo,

Your perjorative for “Nobama” is being wasted on me. And as usual, this denigration does not hold my attention.

In the prior thread, a smart discussion was held on Latino educational stats. And more to the point, we are floor sweepers and housekeepers because, our “ambition” was not reinvigorated for education since our “unmet needs” were not properly or appropriately addressed.

And yet, if done properly, you would, I am sure, be amply familiar with an “academic–military draft” in which an 18-year-old would serve three years, with 50% of the time spent on the military mission and 50% of the time spend on the academic mission. Consequently, upon discharge, the “new” vet would have a two-year college degree that is equivalent to an Associate Arts in General Studies. Thus, this New Vet could go down to any financial institution and borrow the necessary funds to complete his or her third and fourth year of academics. As such, an “investment” on onself, and at no cost would be visited on the parent(s).

It’s my experience and understanding that “leadership” starts with empowering oneself or the Individual, is the only viable avenue to success for all of us. Therefore, if you hold to my view, ‘reaching’ back to help a fellow citizen upwards to reach the next rung on the economic ladder, is a commendable behavior.

As to Obama’s Agenda for Success, the bar has been set low given that Dr. Josh Marshall described the Bush/Cheney Regimen as America’s “dark aberration” of 8 years. And yet, I prefer my much better descriptive for the Era of the Criminally Stupid. And I am not alone in my thinking. A friend from Portland, Oregon, said it even better than I, and to wit, “There’s days Karma dances naked in the sun like the fun loving slut that she is”

Jaango

• 24 Anna // Oct 13, 2009 at 8:51 am

Re: “And furthermore, two-thirds of the Obama Stimulus has not been spent, and which will come forth in the form of ‘government contracts’ of a varied sort.”

They will spend that so-called stimulus money right before the 2010 election in battleground states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan. It’s about Obama and the Democrats staying in power, not fixing the economy.

• 25 jammer // Oct 13, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Jaango, your comment on perjoratives is wasted on “reyfeo” as he gets off on using perjoratives which only make sense to him in some twisted sense. If people carefully read Seneca’s post and thought about it it makes alot of sense and is in fact accurate. Obama is laying a solid foundation and when done most of us will be pleased. I would rather He be deliberate then shoot from the hip and lip like the last President

• 26 Jaango // Oct 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Elections have consequence.

In 2008 the white population was less than 60% in Nevada, Maryland, Georgia, Arizona, and New Mexico. In contrast, the following or DC, Texas, Hawaii, California and New Mexico were majority-minority states. Now, did these states combined carry Obama “over-the-top” for his success in achieving the Oval Office?

Now, as to the Stim Monies, I believe that Obama will insure that the funds for all these ‘contracts’ that will go to the States, Counties, and Municipalities will be accurately apportioned regardless of Demographics, Race, or Political Affiliation.

Additionally, I do not see Obama as a “progressive” in the truest sense, but I do see him as being a ‘centrist’ of sorts when it’s convenient to achieve his self-fulling political agenda. So, if one commences with the “libertarian” view starting with John Locke, Obama will reach further into this vein of Thought and arrive at the “common good” that Locke espoused, as well, provided the majority has taken and rendered the vote accordingly. Thus, the votes on Stimulus and institutional bailouts have been tallied , and health care, will soon occur in the next few weeks.

As to health care, I favor “open access” to the Indian Health Services and the VA, for our ‘medical care delivered’. And yet, my Idea is absent from the legislation, and therefore, it behooves me to get off my twin cheeks and do some advocacy, albeit somewhat tardy.

Jaango

• 27 Anna // Oct 13, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Look what I found…

President Obama Appoints Members of the Commission to Study the Potential Creation of a National Museum of the American Latino

None of the people he chose are academics, and only was of Mexican descent .

I am opposed to this museum. We won’t have a say, and they will just butcher our history. I really don’t care for this Latino category at all.

• 28 Reyfeo // Oct 13, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Time will tell Jammer, if indeed the foundation your boy NObama lays is really going to help la raza. Right now he’s ranking as the worst President, maybe second to Carter, for economical disaster he’s creating for Latinos et al. The part that gets you and your lefty liebral friends is i’m not alone in this thinking.

• 29 DoctorH // Oct 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Jammer, when you communicate with morons, this is the kind of dialogue you’re forced to engage in.

• 30 David Molina // Nov 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Seneca, I enjoyed your analysis on Latinos in the federal workforce. Thank you for providing it in the forum. Some thoughts:

… to understand and navigate the troubled waters of the tangled bureaucracy.
    …to brace itself for the on-going acrimonious health-care reform efforts, the looming immigration reform and the economic and tax adjustments.

What systems are in place within the federal system to educate and recruit Latinos? There is heavy emphasis to recruit Latinos into the private sector, for obvious reasons, but rarely do I hear of momentum at the federal level. Unless, you’ve served in the military and you are transitioning out, the DoE, DoD etc will be there, but what about the State Department? While I think Obama has made strides to elevate Latinos to higher positions, it is the individuals responsibility to prepare themselves for those positions. Again, what is in place at the federal level to educate this large population?

Within several years, and maybe a turnaround in the stock market, it is anticipated that tens of thousands will retire from government posts. While I think some will choose these posts, I still think slightly more will choose the private sector route. Thanks again for your post! ^dm

• 31 Seneca // Nov 15, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Having worked many years in both the public (federal) sector and the private sector, I have never seen a real ‘heavy’ emphasis on recruiting Latinos. In the private sector, there has been sporadically a focused objective Latinos especially in marketing and sales. The problem we Latinos have fundamentally is that we do not sue. Hence, the true winners of the affirmative action wars of last 4 decades have been white women…they sued and won and they marry (sleep) with white males who are biased for obvious reasons. Blacks are another group who has sued successfully and have been rewarded. Since there is no legal penalty for not recruiting Hispanic Americans or Latinos, it simply does not rise as a contentious issue and the establishment readily shakes the problem off. There has been an array of programs to recruit and hire Latinos. In the defense and security area, it becomes most problematic . The State dept on this score has the Pickering fellowship. Check into this prestigious program at Princeton. There are indeed a host or programs which is what you wanted know the key to recruiting officers for the senior foreigner service is low. We need not just mentors in Washington, but rabbis or padrinos to watch over the clan…every ethnic group helps their own fellow ethnic pals or first rate minds. We have never institutionalized it…rabbis and Padrinos wire jobs. Promotion, lead a company etc…mentors are fine but they serve as pathfinders guides, counselors….but you need their top cover in the field you endeavor…mentors merely show the way forward and helping map out a strategic plan …our Latino appointments will only work around the clock.

• 32 Obama and Latino Appointments (at a record pace) // Dec 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm

[...] Seneca’s earlier observation about Latino appointments, President Obama is on track to appoint more Latinos to top posts within [...]