Rep. Loretta Sanchez reiterates that she is not running for Governor

November 6th, 2009 · 28 Comments

Today the OC Register is reporting that Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez is not running for governor in California. After San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom dropped out of the race, there was some speculation that Rep. Sanchez would jump in the race. I have never thought that she would, although there have been rumblings and rumors that she might. Back in June, I wrote up a short blog explaining why I thought she would not do it, and my reasons still stand some four and a half months later.

But to get a glimpse of Congresswoman Sanchez as a person and candidate, I encourage you to read and watch this short clip from yesterday’s Politico where she shares with us what is in her purse. I know that in a lot of women’s magazines there are little features asking celebrities to show us what is in their purses. Of all the things Politico could ask the Congresswoman I thought that this was pretty lame, yet her willingness to participate in this little interview is demonstrative of this woman’s superficiality. And I’m not begrudging her assortment of grooming tools, I’m more bothered that she took time out of her day to do this instead of focusing on legislation. It looks like the Congresswoman is in her office. It’s not like she’s at the salon or the department store sharing the contents of her purse. Could you imagine this woman representing the world’s 8th largest economy?

Tags: Rep. Loretta Sanchez

• 1 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Re: ” Could you imagine this woman representing the world’s 8th largest economy?”

It’s not as bad as that buffoon Arnold. Why so many Latinos voted for that imbecile is beyond me. If we just voted as solid Democratic bloc, things in this state would be so much better.

• 2 BettyM // Nov 6, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I watched the beginning of this and had enough after her description of her purse. She sounded like a sixteen year old.

• 3 IE // Nov 6, 2009 at 3:46 pm

OMG! I mean, c’mon, can this lady be the most idiotic person in congress…I imagine that her immature nature must make it easy to walk all over her when it comes to negotiating on any legislation…As a Latino, I’m embarrassed that someone tasked with helping our country could be so damn childish, and especially the fact that with a video like this, people will think twice before voting for Latinos…What a shame!

• 4 Pablo // Nov 6, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Re: “It’s not as bad as that buffoon Arnold.”

If Arnold is a buffoon then, Loretta Sanchez is a buffoon to the highest degree. I was getting scared with that video, I was thinking that the next thing she was going to pull out of purse was going to be her tampons or condoms.

• 5 El Cholo // Nov 6, 2009 at 9:29 pm

More proof that a Congressional environment and a college education can’t guarantee one can elevate her intelligence. National Public Radio could have a field day with the mountains of stupid things Loretta Sanchez regularly says on their broadcasts, but her need for constant attention always manages to confirm what an absolute idiot this person really is. And you wonder why her Congressional colleagues never take her seriously? She did this “What’s in my purse” segment in her Congressional Office. How’s that for priorities?

• 6 DoctorH // Nov 6, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Loretta Sanchez just made Joe Baca look like a rocket scientist. And that’s nearly impossible to do without Fabian Nunez running interference.

• 7 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

re: “I was getting scared with that video, I was thinking that the next thing she was going to pull out of purse was going to be her tampons or condoms.”

That weird sexist commentary says more about you than it does about her. Getting scared? lol I just don’t understand the mentality behind sexism.

• 8 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Re: “And you wonder why her Congressional colleagues never take her seriously?”

As if you speak for Congress. LOL

• 9 webmaster // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm

“Getting scared”

I don’t care if she pulled out condoms or tampons. I really don’t. There is nothing scary about condoms or tampons. Sex and menstruation are naturally occurring events.

However, I’m more bothered that she took time out of her day to sit for this “What’s in your purse?” segment. IE is right, people will look at this and wonder, “why is she acting so immature?” Could you imagine Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Lee, or Jane Harman doing this? Or what about other Latina leaders like Dolores Huerta or Gloria Molina emptying the contents of their purses for something inane like this?

There are so few of us (Latinos/Latinas) in positions federal office, why single yourself out in something that doesn’t add to the policy discussion or the day’s agenda?

Seneca once mentioned that some electeds like to behave as if they are celebrities, not public servants, and this is what we are witnessing here. Loretta even said that she would rather be in Europe in some cafe. Maybe it’s time she leaves Congress and takes that extended vacation.

• 10 DoctorH // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Maybe Anna the Latino apologist is Loretta Sanchez. Now that would make sense here, especially since their IQ’s seem to be hovering in the low teens.

• 11 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I agree that she shouldn’t have done this, but it’s not the end of the world, or the worst thing a member of Congress has ever done. The commentary relating to Sanchez on this blog is so vitrilolic and sexist, that I view any criticism of her here with suspicion. It just never seems to be based on policy, but on some aspect of her being a single woman who probably has sex. It’s nuts.

I looked her up, and she has dome some positive things, that I know will never be mentioned here. She broke with the Blue Dogs to support the public option, and she issued a statement rejecting the racial profiling of Muslim-Americans, the only one on her committe to do so.

• 12 webmaster // Nov 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I have pointed out when Sanchez has done something positive. You are correct that she has come out in support of the public option, and I have also thanked her for supporting the Freedom of Choice Act. She has defended choice and women’s reproductive rights. However, she sometimes sits for these silly segments and decides to send out gender degrading holiday cards. Or she will avoid answering questions about Hugh Hefner being one of her biggest supporters, but yes, it is so empowering taking his money. Because we all know how much Hef stands for equality, right?

• 13 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I don’t think he’s one of her biggest supporters. lol Why does she have to answer questions about Hugh Hefner? Here we go with sex again. I looked up his donations and he gave $4,600 to Hillary Clinton, $2,300 to Obama, $2,300 to Loretta, and $2,000 to Kerry.

Do you think Obama has to account for taking money from Hugh Hefner too?

• 14 webmaster // Nov 6, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Anna,

Hugh Hefner has given her over $17,000 since 1996.

I think that would make him a substantial individual donor.

• 15 Anna // Nov 6, 2009 at 11:48 pm

So what is she supposed to do? Give it back? He probably donated to her because she beat that right wing wacko Bob Dornan. And what questions is she supposed to answer? Questions from TMZ? lol

Sorry, but she hasn’t done anything wrong, or anything improper, despite your attempt to make it seem so.

• 16 webmaster // Nov 6, 2009 at 11:55 pm

“And what questions is she supposed to answer? Questions from TMZ? lol”

Well, she had time to answer questions about what was in her purse. So I think that a question about a donor is perfectly valid since it relates to her ability to get into office.

Congresswoman Sanchez also took a lot of money from the PMA Group, which has been under investigation.

But I’m sure you will tell us that PMA is a great lobbying firm or that Loretta is fine because she didn’t take as much money as John Murtha or Pete Visclosky.

• 17 Anna // Nov 7, 2009 at 12:11 am

I’ve never even heard of them. The article said that Murtha is the one under investigation. Again, you’re trying to make it seem like Loretta has dome something unethical/illegal. You’re just throwing out anything to see what sticks. She opened her purse, she shares staff with her sister, she took money from Hugh Hefner, etc. BIG DEAL.

Sanchez is a mainstream Democrat who has voted against the war and who has come out in favor of the public option. When there are so many real wackos/criminals in Congress, why you are so fixated on Loretta Sanchez makes no sense. It’s weird.

• 18 Paulette // Nov 7, 2009 at 6:46 am

Hmmmm what is more interesting watching flies land on crap or watching Loretta speak crap?

• 19 theKaiser // Nov 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Why engage with someone whose apologist viewpoints always contradict her prior commentary and run into the gutter. Anna’s mentality follows the same logic as a so-called Christian woman who firebombs abortion clinics killing all the people inside for moral reasons. DoctorH wrote an interesting comment that maybe Anna is Loretta Sanchez and is just defending herself. That would make sense. Or maybe Anna is so ignorant she has no concept what makes a competent public servant and like a junkyard dog attacks anyone who critiques her beloved Spanish surnamed public servants. Nevertheless, Loretta Sanchez (Anna the Apologist) clearly displayed to Politico how unfit she is to hold public office. And you don’t have to observe Loretta Sanchez inane behavior to realize that. Just follow what she’s accomplished in twelve years sitting on her ass feeding off the taxpayer trough.

• 20 Anna // Nov 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm

You’re nuts.

• 21 Red Baron // Nov 8, 2009 at 10:19 am

Funny how Anna always ends up name-calling. I guess that’s because she always ends up running out of principled arguments.

The Webmaster of this blog has done a great job highlighting concerns about Loretta’s public and private conduct that voters care about. Anna has made it clear that she doesn’t care about the character of our elected leaders. She is entitled to that opinion, and I’m sure she votes that way.

It is clear that “Anna” will always defend Loretta, regardless of the facts. I agree with Anna that Loretta has done some praiseworthy things during her 13 years in office. But she has also made some terrible mistakes. Every time we describe those mistakes, Anna flies into a tirade of denial and charges of sexism. Every person on the planet has a mixed history of good and bad, but not everyone merits a seat in Congress. We can find better Latino leaders who will conduct themselves in a way that makes us proud and inspires confidence. I guess Anna doesn’t think so.

• 22 El Cholo // Nov 8, 2009 at 12:05 pm

What can you say about a tatted middle-aged cholita with a big mouth? Anyone who feels a person’s last name determines their net worth at the public trough is not very intelligent to begin with. And that’s what you’re dealing with when you engage with Anna, the Latino Apologist.

• 23 Anna // Nov 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Why do you fools always accuse me of defending somebody based on their last name? I have never done that. Those comments reflect what goes on your mind, and has nothing to do with what I actually say. Ever heard of projection?

I have already said why I object to most of the negative commentary about Sanchez. It’s not based on policy, but on matters that have more to do with her personality, and the fact that she is a single, divorced middle aged women who dates. That’s a no-no for a Mexican-American woman, who by middle age, is supposed to be married with children. The vitriol aimed at her says it all.

Sanchez is a liberal Democrat who votes the right way on all of the issues that are important to me. She’s favors the (now dead) public option, opposes to the war, and opposes the (now passed) sexist Stupak Amendment.

I wish I could say that same about that sexist pig Joe Baca, who voted to strip women, especially poor women, of their right to choose. I saw him give a speech on C-Span and he mumbled and made no sense. He should be voted out.

• 24 IE // Nov 8, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Anna, I don’t see any attacks on this particular post that are close to being sexist or bashing on Congresswoman Sanchez’s marital status.

The simple facts are that as Latinas/Latinos (or any minority in Congress or the Senate) we are always having to work harder to make an impact in society. For Miss Sanchez to have made it to the Halls of Congress is an accomplishment in it of itself: she should use “every day” for good.

You’re right, the purse skit is not a bad thing, but it does show a lack of judgement on her part. Whoever runs against her one day could totally use it and run it over and over and over again on commercials and that would be enough to make her look immature.

You’re also right that Congress is filled with worse individuals that have done, and gotten away with, much more; however, until our country is run by a majority of women things won’t change. Last I checked woman still get paid about .73 cents (plus or minus .10 cents) for every dollar that a man earns. Miss Sanchez should try and make things happen on that front.

Anyhow, not trying to bash on you Anna, just stating that we have to come to grips with the fact that minorities are held to a higher standard. Miss Sanchez should keep that in mind at all times…

• 25 Anna // Nov 8, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I agree. The purse thing was stupid, and I have heard her make some other airheaded statements. But I was responding not only to comemnts about her on this thread but to past comments as well. There are Sanchez topics every week, and the comments are full of anger and vitriol, and charges of being a “whore” that have nothing to do with her psoitions on the issues. This thread was tame.

• 26 hmart // Nov 18, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Wow! That’s a whole lot of merchandise in that Belgian purse. LOL!

Loretta, Tip 1: A big bag full of crap is bad for your back. Tip 2: Jokingly displaying your bag full of superfluous shit to the world is bad for your image.

• 27 Southern Cali // Nov 25, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I cannot believe she took time off from posing for her annual Christmas card (straddled on a motorcycle with her pooch) for this infomercial. The only item she left in her purse was her brains unless she left it back in her District office again.

• 28 Busiest Day in Congress: Where’s Loretta Sanchez? // Mar 20, 2010 at 8:54 pm

[…] Loretta Sanchez, known for milking her 5 minutes of fame and attention-whoring ways, apparently was not on the Hill today, one of the busiest days in […]