Lou Dobbs is leaving CNN

November 11th, 2009 · 19 Comments

I’m so proud that this blog participated in the campaign to get Lou Dobbs off of CNN. Well, the holidays have come early to all who participated in this campaign, as it has just been reported that Lou Dobbs is leaving CNN and that tonight will be his last show on that network.

My favorite BastaDobbs video was the one I embedded in this post because it clearly shows the kind of propaganda Lou has been spreading for years and the consequences of allowing this kind of rhetoric on a mainstream network.

From the reports in the media section of the NY Times, it looks like Dobbs may have been asked to resign:

“A CNN executive confirmed that Mr. Dobbs will announce his plans on his 7 p.m. program.

Mr. Dobbs informed his staff members of his intentions in a meeting Wednesday afternoon. He did not immediately respond to a telephone call seeking comment.”

So far, there is no indication that Lou Dobbs is moving his show, only that he is leaving. I hope that he retires permanently to his ranch in New Jersey. His brand of hate will become increasingly harder to sell as our country continues to diversify.

Congrats to everyone who signed onto the petition and voiced concern over the Lou Dobbs show on CNN. I know that the network was following this blog and others.

Tags: community organizing and activism · diversity · Media · racism

• 1 IE // Nov 11, 2009 at 4:47 pm

You have to love the power of the people!

It was about time that Mr. Dobbs took his rhetoric elsewhere.

• 2 Cockroach People // Nov 11, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Good riddance! It’s a victory for free speech!

• 3 Anna // Nov 11, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I agree that Dobbs was probably asked to resign, otherwise known as FIRED.

• 4 WhatThe.. // Nov 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm

You mean true freedom of speech is dead, tyranny is in…

• 5 webmaster // Nov 11, 2009 at 8:16 pm

“true freedom of speech is dead”

No, it’s not dead. Lou Dobbs can say whatever he wants as a private citizen, however, when he continually lies under the guise of “news,” he should be held accountable for his speech. It’s one thing to have honest disagreements with information from credible sources, but it is another to continually talk about explosions of leprosy or to say that a third of the prison system is made up of undocumented people, etc. He spreads incorrect information, and CNN legitimized it for so long.

• 6 mke // Nov 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I hate to say it but I won’t be too surprised if he ends up on Fox by the end of the year. (Probably doing symbolic cross-burnings with O’Rielly. Or even better, hosting a wet-tshirt contest throw-down featuring Sarah Palin and Carrie Prejean)

• 7 BettyM // Nov 12, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Glad he is gone – but I agree with mke – he will be on Fox.

• 8 Stu Webb // Nov 12, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I hope CNN can economically survive on all the illegal immigrants you support but I doubt it.
    Stu Webb
    L/Col USAF [Ret.]

• 9 Reyfeo // Nov 12, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I’m with Anna…free speech is dead.

The only reason you people hate Lou DObbs is because he hits you hard with some reality…he sheds light on the one problem you fail to grasp and that is Latino does not EQUAL Illegal Aliens…and the Illegasl in this country are a problem.

Is this what you will do with anyone on tv/ cable who disagree with you? Truly, America is in dire straights when it feels it has to satisfy any ethnic group. The worst part is we have bigger issues to focus…is this is all the Hispanc Caucus can focus on…way to go! LOL

• 10 libhomo // Nov 12, 2009 at 6:53 pm

It’s amazing that there is anyone left who is gullible enough to defend Lou Dobbs.

• 11 Reyfeo // Nov 12, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Not Lou Dobbs as much as free speech Homo.

• 12 Anna // Nov 12, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Re: ‘I’m with Anna…free speech is dead.”

I never said that. People seem to think that CNN is Lou Dobbs’s living room where he can say any old crazy thing that pops into his head. Lou was making up lies and CNN was losing credibility.

Dobbs had fallen to fourth place in the ratings behind Nancy Grace and Jane Velez Mitchell. Now he’s gone and good riddance.

• 13 Corwin // Nov 13, 2009 at 6:22 am

CNN is losing credibility ? It’s hard to get negative numbers in credibility. Certainly, it’s OK to pressure his employers -that’s not a free speech issue .But people like you (“Kill the Messenger” ) have given him an even higher profile ,and he’ll probably end up on another channel .
    And could you document some of his lies? ANd ,speaking of lies , could you comment on whether the below statements are lies?
    “I finished in the top half of my law school class ” VP Joe.Actual finish 76 of 85. Yes , I know liberal arts majors don’t do math, but still..
    I mis spoke on being under fire at Bosnia (3 times) because I was tired from lack of sleep .SOS HRC
    My experience is seared ,seared of being in Cambodia over Christmas and hearing Pres Nixon on the radio Of course , I can difidently point out a) Pres Johnson was in office during Xmas ’68 , and the ships logs and crew showed neither they nor other ships in the flotilla had been near Cambodia SEN JFK
    A Mature mind can deal with cognitive dissonance . I’m waiting to see you say the other sailors lied and the radio waves were captured by tachyons.

• 14 Anna // Nov 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

I doubt he’ll end up on another channel. People might boycott him, and in this bad economy nobody wants to deal with that. Lou is done. Now he’s just another talk radio loon.

As for his lies, he said that illegal immigrants were speading leprosy, that they were plotting to take over our government, and that illegal immigrants make up the majority of our federal prisons, and that Mexico is our enemy. Those were all lies. That propaganda was broadcast all over the world.

As I said, CNN’s ratings were falling and Dobbs was in fourth place. I think what really did him in though was his support of the birther movement. That’s when other liberal groups joined the Basta Dobbs campaign to get him fired. Of course those liberal groups didn’t care when Dobbs was bashing Mexicans for years. They only cared when he bashed Obama.

• 15 Anna // Nov 13, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Read this artice about what Joe Arapaio did to a legal immigrant. Joe is the next one who has to be fired. The next campaign should be Basta Joe.

• 16 WhatThe.. // Nov 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm

“No its not dead, Dobbs can say what he wants as a private citizen.” Lou Dobbs is paid by CNN for his opinion. But you say he spreads misinformation, don’t we all at one point or another, its only human nature. This is a freedom of speech issue. This is not about Dobb’s, but maybe a white person who brings issues to the forefront. I’m beginning to think it is because he is white; and how dare a white person say what he does against our people, he’s the wrong color. Who cares what he says? It almost sets a tone of racism on our part? Racism is just not a white phenomenon, but a human phenomenon. Just as a need to cling to what is culturally familiar.
    A third of the prison system is made up of undocumented people or illegal alien (For those of you who need to be politically correct, “Citizenship Challenged”). Maybe there was a misinterpretation of the Federal Bureau of Prison Statistics, it states a third of the US federal prison population is made up of non-citizens, but of course this doesn’t mean that non-citizen is illegal. The US Justice Department estimated that 270,000 served jail time nationally in 2003, a 108,000 were in California. I don’t know what the breakdown of country of origin, so we cannot inadvertanly equate illegal with Mexican national, but you could comfortably extrapolate that in California, the majority of that number in California is of Mexican origin. Leprosy, was it Dobbs or the so called expert guess. Yes I’ll give that, makes Dobbs look pretty stupid, lets add loss of integrity. But that’s the whole idea! The loss of integrity and respect is much greater thing for a person to loose, than just attempting to oust someone from a position, because of misinformation. Allow, people to falter under their own inconsistencies. We are all prone to misinformation, misrepresentation etc. Don’t forget the ad against him, talk about misinformation, by America’s Voice (Of course the true voice of all Americans), that’s integrity with a touch of hyprocrosy. Again, I don’t want other people deciding what is misinformation and what is. I’m getting enough misinformation daily from our politicians in the Republican and Democratic parties, with the ring leader Obama. Lets allow everyone to speak, and allow each individual to make their own mind up. Regulations, restraints, and conditions will only restrict our ability as Americans to seek the truth.

• 17 Anna // Nov 15, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Good riddance Lou Dobbs!

• 18 j townes // Nov 23, 2009 at 7:26 am

The latino community can’t bear the brunt of the truth.The fact is your rate of mostly illegal and undocumented population numbers are in increasing here in the USA,and by another 5,10 years from now, the caucasion race will even find itself 2nd….and it will all be due to the USA inadequate ability to shield it’s own borders..which by the way allowed a surpass of afro-american as the #1 minoritiy..try that in any other country…. People with passports and visas cannot get away with what the hispanics get away with here and I have to ask why??? Civil rights were won by afro-americans, now you are using my civil rights to take my job,and move out Lou Dobbs for boldly telling it like it is…Thereby infestating the USA with your attempt to takeover…uh,you won’t like this, Lou Dobb’s running for office now.

• 19 Gal // Dec 14, 2009 at 3:03 am

I find it amazing that any one group can or would take credit for something like Lou Dobbs leaving CNN. It makes me laugh. He has other plans ya know?

Additionally, all those Latino Leaders(La Raza) spreading hate against Whites and bragging about the population boom that is usurping WHITE POWER by the sheer numbers of latinos because they keep populating the earth and the USA…, need to look into the Climate Summit being held in Copenhagen, Denmark right this very moment.

The Treaty for Climategate talks about taxing people for the air they breathe. ACTUALLY for the air that sustains life under the CARBON TAX Wording. Apparently if a family cannot afford to pay the tax for every member of their family, they stand to lose their children to the Feds, who will raise them and sterilize them.

I always knew this day would come La Raza! Lets see who is laughing now… your hate is coming back on you…

BTW: I am Mayan, German and Pollack…