Lou Dobbs supports “Amnesty for Illegals”?

November 27th, 2009 · 9 Comments

Yesterday, I read this article on Lou Dobbs and his new Latino outreach effort since he has left CNN. A week ago Dobbs went to Telemundo for an interview with Maria Celeste and indicated that he now supports a plan to legalize millions of undocumented workers. He also told Latinos that he is one of our greatest friends:

“Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together,” he said in a live interview with Telemundo’s Maria Celeste. “I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest.”

I think that Lou is being rather disingenuous, but he’s also spinning, as Joshua Holland from AlterNet points out in his piece here. With his eye on public office, Dobbs begins to promote the mainstream comprehensive immigration reform jargon about paying fines, learning English, and jumping through other hoops to legalize those who are already here. Public opinion polls show that most favor the “hoop jumping approach” to granting legal status for the undocumented. I think that Dobbs is just conveniently pandering to the Telemundo audience, much as he did for his fans on CNN.

Tags: Immigration · Telemundo

• 1 Anna // Nov 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

Dobb s is nothing but a con man, and like so many of his corporate counterparts who have been fired, he now wants a government job. Get lost, Lou, you racist liar. You are unfit to govern.

• 2 IE // Nov 27, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Anna,

Con man would be too nice a term for LD. (That’s what I’m calling him from now on, b/c I can’t stand saying his full name).

If LD thinks that Latino’s are going to stand idle and buy his sudden change of heart, he’s an idiot.

He’s a bum!

• 3 Tilo E. Lopez // Nov 28, 2009 at 12:26 am

Change of heart, all of a sudden. If he thinks he will get the support of the Latino community, he can think again. What a contradiction this man has bestowed upon himself.

• 4 Xavier Cardenas // Nov 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Another waste of time. Another xenophobic racist who thinks he can fool anyone. I almost don’t believe this pendello would try this. The sleeping giant of raza has been awoken. The shock and awe of the status quo will make my heart warm. This land was ours first and we are back to claim it.

• 5 Reyfeo // Nov 28, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I think bogging about LD is a waste. We tend to focus on the scapegoats and not a solution, and so I’ll ask the question: Do you believe we should give “Amnesty to Illegals” or not?

I say again, because i’m tired of whining and venting about idiots like LDs, I ‘d really like to hear solutions. I’d like to know if you support a full amnesty bill to all the illegal immigrants currently here in the US…and what if they were of Islamic background/heritage (or any other not of Latino), are you okay with that as well? Where do you stand on this issue?

• 6 Xavier Cardenas // Nov 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I am for full amnesty for all illegal immigrants of Latin heritage. They are the ones doing the heavy lifting in this country. They are the ones cast aside en mass in this nation. They are the ones whose ancestors have had their lands stolen. It is time the US put it’s money where it’s mouth is in honoring a checkered history as it pertains to latinos.

• 7 Reyfeo // Nov 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I’m for workers Id/permits…if they’re going to be here we might as well make it legit…not sure I agree with full amnesty yet (so we can agree to disagree here). That said I do believe we can absorb a much needed work force (I mean after we properly permit/document them), to do the work most other Americans won’t do (they already do).

Lastly, would you agree when you say “the ones whose ancestors have had their lands stolen” sounds way out there. There’s a point where we have to let this go. Else, you sound like a revolutionary and we alienate anyone who would listen. Also, how would you convince the rest America that Latino’s go first, Asians, Middle Easterners go second or never? This too sounds extreme, don’t you think?

• 8 IE // Nov 28, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I’m also for full amnesty. Of course, it would have to be done with proper checks and balances.

If you’ve been in the country more than 5-10 years, without any criminal violations, and if you come clean that you bought a fake SSN, then I’d be cool with that: just pay a fine. Sort of like if you hide your millions in Swiss bank accounts and you let the IRS know, you won’t go to jail.

As for the muslim situation, same would apply, but considering the times we live in, a proper background check would be in order.

It really is not that hard to see which illegal immigrant groups are in the US making honorable contributions to society.

• 9 Pensativo // Dec 3, 2009 at 1:03 pm

How come no one on this blog ever talks about the propagandized mainstream focus on “Islam” and “Muslims”? This is nothing but an illusion meant to distract everyone from what is really going on here. As Latinos we shouldn’t buy into the “Islamophpobia” farce, Islam and Christianity are natural allies…don’t be fooled, because once we buy into the notion that we need to be suspicous of Muslims, us Latinos will be labeled the next terrorists, in fact this has lready started. Don’t you see the geopolitical similarites between Israel (a White population) and Palestine (a “Brown” population) and the United Sates and Mexico…they already have a wall there dividing them and many racist supremacists want the wall completed here along the Mexican border? This should be Latinos’ major issue here, but us Latinos here either out of ignorance or probably for political reasons deliberately never address…