Meg Whitman & Latino Hiring at eBay

April 2nd, 2010 · 15 Comments

The problem with engaging in mariachi and taco politics is that sometimes it can be turned against you. Back in the fall, Meg Whitman’s campaign released the following cheesy youtube with the mariachi playing La Negra in a Mexican restaurant in El Monte:

Whitman addressed how the Republican Party has not done enough to reach out to Latinos and that she was working hard to involve Latinos in her campaign. Well, that’s fine and dandy, but it looks like Whitman hasn’t been including Latinos in her circle especially when she had a chance to hire them in the management of eBay when she was CEO. Now some may say that there aren’t enough qualified Latinos to work at a large technology company like eBay, but while our numbers in the technology and science fields may be small, Latino technology and management professionals do exist, especially in a state like California. An independent expenditure ad came out this week playing up Meg Whitman’s diversity and job creation for Latinos while she was at eBay, and I thought that it was a clever use of old mariachi that is typically used to pander to our community:

What are your thoughts? Could Whitman have found one or two Latino managers while at eBay or is her new foundlove for LA-TEE-NOZ just a campaign gimmick?

Tags: diversity · GOP · Republican Party

• 1 Anna // Apr 3, 2010 at 9:40 am

You’re preaching to the choir. Nobody here is going to vote for Meg Whitman or Steve Poizner.

• 2 webmaster // Apr 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

Anna,

Then why do you think that Meg Whitman had so many “LA-TEE-NOZ” at that event in El Monte? Maybe it wasn’t so many, but she did have some to fill the crowd. I agree that Whitman & Poizner will not receive many Latino votes, but will Latinos turn out for Jerry Brown and/or will they start knocking on doors for him?

• 3 Anna // Apr 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I don’t see why not. Jerry will have major union support, and they will get out the vote for him. I also plan to volunteer.

Whitman will have….Reyfeo.

• 4 IE // Apr 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Hey! Let’s be nice to Reyfeo! LOL

• 5 Reyfeo // Apr 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Yes, be nice…

AND, that’s the beauty about blogging these things, one of us will be right…the election will end this conversation…we’ll see how much of this blab holds up with the Latino base (I mean the real US Citizens).

• 6 Anna // Apr 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Does anyone else seem to think there is a media blackout on the earthquake damage in Mexicali? The media are pretending that the epicenter was in Southern CA.

A 7.2 earthquake is huge and unless Mexicali and the surrounding area is located in an unpopulated desert, there is probably damage there.

I seem to recall that they ignored the aftermath of the massive Chilean earthquake too.

Why won’t they show it? Is it just media racism? Scary…

• 7 Reyfeo // Apr 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm

You can say the same for the North Korean Attack on South Korean Navy ship…in that case, I’m ofthe opinion they don’t want to make Mr NObama look bad…in the Mexicali Earthquake case, it only gives rise to all things Mexico, which would lead to Immigration Reform…Mexico is the new Colombia…look up Plan Merida…This POTUS isn’t sure how to secure the border without pi$$ing of the far left crowd…The Mexicali quake only brings indirect attention to it.

• 8 Anna // Apr 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, I know about the Merida Plan. Obama is continuing the Bush plan to make Mexico the new Columbia. I can’t wait until 2012 when Nobama is out of office.

You’re probably right that any coverage of Mexico would raise the issue of immigration reform. But I disagree that he can’t figure out how to close the border without pissing off the left.

The corporations want the border open, especially the for-profit immigration detention industry (Geo Group, CCA). They get government money for every immigrant in their custody. Obama is feeding this industry.

I don’t think most people on the left would care if the border were closed. I know I wouldn’t.

• 9 ELAcademia // Apr 8, 2010 at 6:37 pm

As a frequent reader and non-poster who looks at many sides of the debate I would love to see how many would argue these great points in the following article.

• 10 MoBay // Apr 11, 2010 at 8:30 am

@Anna,

So you want Bush back along with a Republican administration? I guess you along with countless others have forgotten 2001-2008.

• 11 Anna // Apr 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I don’t want Republicans in office, obviously. But guess what? Obama is not much different from the Republicans, and he’s moving more to the right all the time.

Let’s see who he puts on the Supreme Court to replace the liberal Stevens. He should at least maintain the ideological balance of the Court, not move it the right by appointing somebody like Kagan. He has not only continued Dubya’s extra-constitutional abuse of executive power, but expanded it.

As for immigration reform, that was a lie he told to get the Latino vote. He has no intention of tackling that issue, and he never has. He won’t even stop Joe Arapaio from harassing Americans of Mexican and Native American descent.” Obama could do that very easily and without any cost politically. Hello, it’s his job.

He’s a fraud, and I wish somebody would challenge him in the primaries. (Yeah, right.)

• 12 Timoteo // May 16, 2010 at 7:37 am

Meg’s only point against her is she didn’t register to vote until 8 years ago. That may be a plus. Many of us vote democrat because of the union direction given/dictated to us in the union halls and at work. What I have found after voting for 35 years, is the union keeps promising us the moon at election time from democrat candidate, and after the election we get the same old Nada. I am tired to doing the same thing year and year and getting nothing. It’s time for real change in California, and the democrats who are in office? Ah, it’s time all those legislators went home and got a real job. I mean, I have to balance my checkbook, they don’t. I have to be responsible with my life, they don’t. I don’t take bribes, they do from the unions. So, think about this when you vote. Who has really been lying to you all these years just to get the Latino vote?

• 13 Sandra Chavira // Sep 3, 2010 at 11:41 am

I graduated from SJSU in the 90’s. Right at the time Meg started with Ebay. A total of 9 out 11 engineers come out of this school. I was 1 out of 5 Latinos in my department. Most engineering students were Asian or Mid eaters. THERE WERE NOT ENOUGH LATINOS in technology field. I’m tired of this crap about “We are being disenfranchised” shit. Did Meg ever turn down a

• 14 Sandra Chavira // Sep 3, 2010 at 11:42 am

Did Meg ever turn down a qualified Latino applicant?
    about an hour ago · LikeUnlike ·

• 15 Mariachi Politics Taken to a New Level with Carly Fiorina & Meg Whitman // Oct 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm

[...] rajes”, and California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman launched her Latino coalition with mariachis in the background. Some politicians come across a bit more sincerely when engaging in mariachi or [...]