Some thoughts on the Loretta Sanchez Victory Last Night

November 3rd, 2010 · 9 Comments

Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez is one of the few Blue Dog Democrats to have pulled off a victory last night. I never really thought that she was in big danger of losing this seat, but her decisive victory (of nearly 10 percentage points over Van Tran) in a tough political climate does afford her the ability to be more provocative and to take more political risks, especially in regards to issues like immigration, drug policies, and civil liberties. It wasn’t until recently that Congresswoman Sanchez finally co-sponsored the DREAM Act. And even last year, Congresswoman Sanchez indicated that she may support a pilot program to legalize marijuana, but I didn’t see her address the Proposition 19 issue in the press this election cycle. Sanchez can now firmly stand up for the undocumented in her district, the young people who are disproportionately affected by the current drug policies, and even challenge the establishment within her party on issues like the Patriot Act and the wars. Now is the time for her to roll up her sleeves and to get serious about producing results for California’s 47th District.

I even predict that Loretta Sanchez will grow old in this seat because she endured the Van Tran battle and seems to be comfortable taking up space in the House, but last night’s victory can be a turning point for her. She can either continue to be known for her silly Holiday cards and trips to the Playboy mansion or she can pick up the torch and take cues from some of the more productive members of congress. I hope that she does the latter and ditches the Blue Dog affiliation because Moveon.org was soliciting volunteers for her campaign for the past few weeks, and that organization has specifically targeted Blue Dog Democrats in the past.

Tags: drug war · Immigration · Rep. Loretta Sanchez

• 1 Anna // Nov 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm

The #1 issue is jobs. She should spend her time trying to get companies to move to her district, and she should try to get loans, and/or tax breaks to help the businesses in her district expand.

Prop 19 was defeated, and no, that will not be on her agenda.

As for immigration, good luck getting the new conservative Speaker of the House to bring it up for a vote. This issue worries me because neither party has any intention of changing current immigration law. The private prison industry sees these immigrants as a “new market,” and both parties take money from these corporations.

Brewer is appealing SB 1070, and what do you think will happen if it gets to the conservative Supreme Court and they uphold it? We are all going to presumed illegal.

All Hispanics are at risk of losing our rights over this issue, and not to be mean, but I really wish they would go home and mobilize to fix their own countries.

• 2 Michaelr // Nov 3, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Loretta Sanchez has no agenda. Other than to spend taxpayer monies on herself, work on more House Resolutions to honor Luciano Pavarotti, and do more “what’s in my purse?” segments for Politico.

• 3 Bird Dog // Nov 4, 2010 at 9:46 am

If you look at Loretta sanchez’ record, you will see she has always been vocal and has voted against The Patriat Act and the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars. And she has been a strong advocate for immigration reform. She was the one trying to push Obama to takr a reform vote before the Congress adjourned for the election. As to Michael trying to trivialize her, STOP. You just can’t stand there is a smart, good looking woman pushing a strong agenda.

• 4 theKaiser // Nov 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Obviously, Bird Dog has never engaged with LowRENTA Snatches. Trivializing Lo Lo is too easy. The only thing she advocates for is herself. YouTube is filled with her best public performances.

• 5 Anna // Nov 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm

You know what, the voters in HER district re-elected her. She beat both Van Tran and Republican plant Cecelia Iglesias. Those of you who don’t like her, and who don’t even live in her district, need to get a life.

• 6 El Cholo // Nov 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

LowRENTA Snatches…that is so accurate. Another two years of wasted taxpayer dollars on a civil servant with a minus 20 IQ. This says so much about California’s 47th Congressional District and their inability to attract a Congressional representative of character.

• 7 WhatThe.. // Nov 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

I often see these people like Loretta, with no leadership abilities as pawns for the bigger picture behind them. I believe these power sources prefer leaders like Loretta due to their loyalty and return Loretta can benefit and live the life of Riley. Their is a reason Americans don’t have true leadership choices thru the two party system, because their is no difference between the two. Both parties must appease to all political spectrums in order to stay in power, at the expense of true political philosophy. John Adams, the second president of the United States and Founding Father of the Constitution once said, “a division of the republic into two great parties is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution”. He and other Founding Fathers, believed that political parties would breakdown the system of this new country, and that candidates for high office should be chose based on their own beliefs of what is best for the country. In other words, a party system had no value, but for the party which would lead to corruption at the expense of true representation of the people.

• 8 DancingDem // Nov 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

She might grow old in her seat, and I was hoping to replace her ones she steps down! Well, I also hope she abandons the blue dog affiliation, and actually steps up for the constituents in her district.

• 9 Chicano future tense // Nov 5, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have a pet theory about elected officials.
    Most of the one’s I seen are really nerdy,wimpy goofy-looking dorks..
    I think most of them are starved for attention and becoming a congressman or mayor or whatever will boost their starved egos..
    I mean just look at the pictures of some of these congress critters. My God what a bunch of homely people.A good example ,look at Loretta Sanchez..My God that woman needs a total reconstructive make-over!
    I don’t care how much you pay me..uh uh I would never kiss that blue dog..

I mean, I can understand why they are called “blue dogs”.. hell, I think that is sort of an insult to dogs..

My wish is to make all elective positions volunteer and no pay.That would empty out the sewer real fast wouldn’t it?

To me there is a psychological thing going on here with elected officials..I mean what kind of goof would spend a fortune,sell their souls to the devil for a damn political position.

I don’t know..I think there is something psychologically wrong with people who run for office..I think these people have serious ego and identity problems,low-self esteem which drives them to extremes-political office where they can get alot of attention ,get their butts kissed and have flatterers crawling out of the woodwork telling them how beautiful,intelligent and clever they are..

Dancing Dem says ..
    “She might grow old in her seat..”
    I think you’re right Dancing Dem and I’d like to add that would be all the more true because of all those perks,payoffs and under the table deals she swings will not only make her grow old in her “seat” but will also fill that “seat” with a fatter bigger ..s and will require that seat eventually to be outfitted with special reinforced hydraulics to support the added expansion and weight of her big fat ..s

It’s just a little theory I’ve held all along..