One of the youngest Latinas in Congress: Jaime Herrera Beutler

January 6th, 2011 · 10 Comments

When I first read about  Jaime Herrera Beutler, I thought she was male since most Latinos I know named “Jaime” (aka James for you folks who don’t speak Spanish) are men. But perhaps Jaime’s parents didn’t consider the Spanish pronunciation of her name or they simply don’t speak Spanish anymore, and that’s ok. Most Latinos born in the US are English dominant. Anyway, she is the first Latina congressional representative from Washington State, is 32 years old and is a Republican.

I hadn’t heard Herrera Beutler speak on camera until today, so I thought I would share this clip with you. I found it in this article, which mentions that she recently added her husband’s name to her own even though she’s been married for over two years according to her wikipedia page. Her additional surname is pronounced “Butler”. I’m sure people will speculate why she waited this long to change her name. In my view, usually the women who want to take their husband’s name do so rather quickly, but she’s certainly a busy woman with her own ambitions.

So what do you think gente?

Tags: GOP · Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler · Republican Party

• 1 Wendy Carrillo // Jan 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good for her! It’s great to see women and women of color move up the ranks in the “good ol boys club.”
    However, I do worry about her positions and if she will represent Latinos in a positive light. I don’t think not adding her husbands last name is of huge concern. If I were to get married, I’m not sure I would do so, or if I would consider it, or if I would do the old fashion “de” Wendy Carrillo de BLAH BLAH.
    I will say this, the GOP seems to have a plan when it comes to looking for fresh new leadership withing the Latino community. The Dems should take note.

• 2 irma // Jan 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

From what cultural group does she come from?

Cuban, Mexican ?

• 3 webmaster // Jan 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

Irma,

According to this piece, her paternal grandparents are from Mexico:

• 4 What's In a Name // Jan 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Did she add on her husband’s name before or after the election? If so, was it for political purposes only or was she just kowtowing to the “conservative” elements of her party.

She is not the first Latina in Congress to change her name. Lucille Allard added Roybal after over 25 years of not using it. In her case, the political novice needed her daddy’s name to win her seat and, like her daddy, have a very lucrative congressional career. Without daddys’ accomplishments, of course.

• 5 irma // Jan 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm

A Republican? This is typical of some first generation Mexican-Americans as some sort of way of assimilating. The first thing they do is change their name if they can or Anglicize it by adding the name of their husband , then they join the Republican party. I guess this opens a lot of doors for them – but how a Mexican-American can join the Republican party is beyond me. This party has a history of making our life harder.

Me, I have two last names too- those of my parents. That is who I am.
    I wonder if Jaime Herrera benefitted from affirmative action and will now vote for its
    abolishment as Jaime Herrera Beutler.

I wonder if

• 6 Augusto Conde // Jan 8, 2011 at 6:55 am

Watching the videos she sounds and looks like a cookie cutter weather reporter. Herrera Beutler just repeats generalities, she seems so generic. Now that she is in office she’ll have to take some stands, it seems she will side with social conservatives, since she identifies more as a conservative Christian then a Latina. The only issue she has taken a stance on is against a woman’s right to reproductive choice.

• 7 irma // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Yes and apparently her mother introduced her to all sorts of experiences. “She drug us everywhere,”

Hmm, maybe her mother should have made sure that her daughter learned to speak proper English. I presume she meant to use the past tense of the verb drag ?

• 8 Jude Soto // Jan 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

This woman seems to be a boring, run of the mill, conservative. In fifty years, her legislative career will be remembered as one in which she came to power in the 2010 Conservative rise, and as the first Latina Congresswoman from Washington. That is all.

• 9 irma // Jan 12, 2011 at 8:44 am

Being the first Latino this or Latina that is not an accomplishment in itself . If she does nothing – that will be her legacy.

• 10 el huevo // Jan 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

irma said:

I agree, Irma, but I hope you said that when Sotomayor was throwing that Latina thing around too.