DREAM Act Update July 27, 2011

July 27th, 2011 · 7 Comments

In case you missed it, President Obama delivered a speech at NCLR on Monday, where the DREAM Act youth made their presence known by shouting “Yes, you can” to the President when he suggested that he could not bypass Congress to provide relief in terms of immigration policy. However, I want to point out that activists aren’t suggesting that the President “bypass Congress” — most know that it would be near impossible to get any sort of immigration reform through the current Congress. People are suggesting that the President use tools that other Presidents have used to provide relief. It’s an authority that President Obama already has.

Even Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) issued a statement following the President’s speech explaining that Obama does have the executive authority to act:

“I agree with the audience members who chanted “yes you can” in rebuttal to the President’s statement that his powers over immigration policy are limited.  The President does have the power to grant temporary immigration benefits to Dream Act students who have lived here since childhood and he should allow Americans who are sponsoring loved ones to complete the visa process within the United States, a change that would result in the reunification of family members who now face years of separation.”

More locally, one part of the California DREAM Act passed, but this isn’t the meatier version that activists would really like to see get through the state legislature and signed by Governor Brown. This bill would allow undocumented youth in California to apply for private scholarships (note: some already received similar private aid). The companion bill, AB 131, would grant eligible students access to public scholarships and grants, but this bill is still “locked up” in the legislature. DREAMActivist has some good information for those interested in keeping AB 131 (as they are calling it, “the real California DREAM Act”) on the legislative agenda.

And finally, in what may be a key turning point in the undocumented youth activist movement, Andy Mathe has been deported despite an aggressive campaign to stop ICE from sending him back to South Africa. Mathe’s family had fled their country because of death threats. Look for more protests and actions in the near future because of this latest action by the administration.

Tags: Barack Obama · Education · Immigration · Sen. Robert Menendez

• 1 Anna // Jul 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

I thought the Dream Act was a plan to create a path to citizenship/legal residency. I don’t see how trying to gain access to state student aid has anything to do with the Dream Act.

• 2 Victoria // Jul 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMG! I can’t believe they deported him. Just to make this clear to all immigrants( Latinos, Africans, Asians and other), this is PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA’S FAULT. It has been confirmed not once, not twice, but several times by Luis Gutierrez and Robert Menendez that Obama has the POWERS TO GRANT TEMPORARY IMMIGRATION BENEFITS TO DREAM ACT STUDENTS. What a shame to know that Obama knows this and as selfish as he is for letting the deportations continue, I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE WILL USE HIS POWER IN 2012 BECAUSE 1: IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR; and 2: HE NEEDS THE LATINO VOTE TO GET RE-ELECTED. Let me be clear, if you are reading this Obama, just so you know, we out-smarted you and your strategic plan in 2008 when you FAILED to pass immigration reform and when you and your colleagues had control of Congress! Fool us once, SHAME ON YOU!

• 3 pupo81 // Jul 28, 2011 at 4:45 am

Pres. Obama is right he cannot do a Excutive oder to stop deportations, just because the Hispanic community wants him to. These people being deported are in the country illegally and are owed anything but a trip back to their home country. If they are torn from their families that is their fault. What did they expect that they could either overstay their vistas or enter the USA illegally and the US government wasn’t suppose to do anything about it? Alot of the Hispanic community is delusional and the most US citizens are not willing to put up with their pushing for CIR or the Dream Act. They don’t care how many so-called US citizen children you have, as far many are concern even those children aren’t citizens in their eyes, they are just being used to push heartstrings. Well it isn’t working. Most US citizens want our immigration laws upheld and it that means the deportation of 11 to 20 million people for the next 20 years so be it.

• 4 Kev smith // Jul 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

Pupo81-
    It is precisely that line of thinking that seems to get in the way of progress….. Yes! I’ll agree that, migrating to a country illegally is “illegal” but you are missing the point. the bill in question has nothing to do regarding those who knowingly broke the law…… this bill is aimed to help and support those who had no choice in the matter, those whose parents decided to relocate for whatever reason…… children of ages three, four, five…. What are the parents suppose to do leave them behind? ….. Are you a parent? If you are, would you? How about the kids, do we expect them to know better?
    Look, the bill is simply about helping those who were simply raised; for lack of a better word as “Americans”…… kids who have been put through the same hoops and ladders as you and me……… who knows, maybe a close friend of yours, whom you have known since elementary is an illegal…. Put yourself in their shoes….. I am sure you’re not Native American so in some ways you are the product of immigrants as well.

Stop the Ignorance!!….. It’s more dangerous than the Illegal Immigrant.

• 5 tony // Jul 31, 2011 at 10:56 pm

to pupo81 who so ever you are. you are just a hater thats why people like you will never find success in life they will find it hard in life. that law will pass know matter what, there is a god he won’t sit there and see people suffer for the rest of there life. people like you are scared of illegal immigrants because there smarter than you and haters out there

• 6 Javier // Aug 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

The conundrum is who’s responsible? What’s the solution. You have Parents that are Mexican Nationals in the US illegally. The children of these parents are technically Mexican National even though they were born in the US. Responsiblity falls on the parents who created this fiasco. The bill is valid only if you agree on a solution of tightening the borders. So what you have our parents that are Mexican Nationals not taking responsibility and the Federal Government not taking reponsibility by breaching their oath to the American people of not doing their job. What happens next, is resources in terms of aid, food stamps, medical etc. our then appropriated to Non-American’s, taking more away from taxpaying American’s.

• 7 Daniel // Nov 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

wow pupo81 I don’t think there can be a person as selfish as you. Im one of the many people that was brought here by my parents when i was 4 years old. I had no say in this so I should suffer now? I studied in the United States my whole life and always helped this country, never hurt it in any way. I pay taxes every year but i still can’t get a scholarship for school or leave this country to visit my family without being prevented from being let back in America. I invested my whole life in America so i should just go back to my home country and start it over? My education, my friends, my life????
    Just like Kev Smith said, if you were in our situation or you loved someone that was in our situation you wouldn’t be saying this. I would understand if someone at the age of 20 decided to move to America for whatever reason he had, you wouldn’t be ok with that, but we never had a choice.
    I really hope that one day you will become more open minded and understand the people that never had a say in there life.