Granddaughter of Cesar Chavez Defends Obama Administration Immigration Policies

November 5th, 2011 · 9 Comments

Now I have never been of the opinion that Cesar Chavez was pro-migrant, although some say that as his views evolved, he was. That may be the case, but in the history I have read Cesar Chavez was more pro-worker, meaning citizen or legally authorized to work farm worker because at the time, undocumented workers were perceived as strike breakers when he was organizing. Even Gustavo Arellano has tackled Cesar Chavez’s evolving views on the immigration. And in today’s environment, the organization that Cesar Chavez founded, the United Farm Workers (UFW), has taken a more pro-migrant stance even denouncing the controversial Secure Communities program with a petition.

So I found it interesting that today the Obama administration used one of the Latinas working in the White House, Julie Rodriguez, the granddaughter of Cesar Chavez and daughter of UFW President Arturo Rodriguez, to defend its actions on the immigration issue. Ms. Rodriguez, who is currently associate director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, offered a gathering of Latinos at a summit hosted by the administration in California’s Inland Empire this:

“The priority … is we are enforcing our laws and focusing on those who pose a national security threat or public safety threat.”

Apparently, this message and others did not go over well with the Inland Empire crowd according to the Los Angeles Times.

What do you think? Will the message that is coming from Julie Rodriguez and the Obama administration win out and resonate with the community? Or will organizations like the United Farm Workers and Presente.Org, who have been advocating against programs like Secure Communities, have more credibility?

Tags: Department of Homeland Security · Immigration

• 1 Anna // Nov 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Obama will always talk out of both sides of his mouth, so people should stop wasting their time on him. A Republican might win in 2012, so it would make sense to vote in the Republican primaries so that we have say in who the nominee is.

• 2 Anthony T // Nov 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I agree, Anna. We might not know how a GOP candidate would govern until he/she takes office, but we do know what Obama would do to our community.

• 3 irma // Nov 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

Clearly another example of the fact that Obama has no clue as to how to talk to Latinos about issues important to us. Instead of talking to us, this administration reaches out to Latinos who have achieved some visibility somehow and uses them to perpetuate the party line.

Spread the word – lets make Barak Obama a one term president.

• 4 Chicano future tense // Nov 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Agree with those above..
    The liar Obama has to go!

Like the old saying goes..”fool me once,shame on you”..”fool me twice,shame on me”..

My opinion….as for Julie Rodriguez,I can only say..shame on her for selling out her people!

I can’t imagine how many thousands and thousands of backbreaking hours of tedious,hard sweaty work it took Mexicano campesinos to pay for her dads salary,paying for the “fine education” Julie Rodriguez received on their backs just so she can get her foot into the whitehouse taking orders from that pathological lying con man Obama.

Honestly,I swear….what some Mexicans won’t do to climb the social ladder in order to”get up there”….

in a certain sense it’s heartbreaking..
    thinking of all what her abuelo Cesar Chavez for decades had to go through out in the fields to bring some economic and social justice por los campesinos Mexicanos..

all I can say is…..Que lastima!

• 5 Jesus (Hay-soos) // Nov 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

Seem like Mrs Julie was blinded by the 30 pieces of silver Obama gave her. CFT is right. Q lastima…
    I’m going back to voting for 3rd party candidates for prez & will be encouraging my friends to do the same. I’m tired of all the “ya mero” promises. Let it float! We are screwed either way …

• 6 irma // Nov 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm

So, Ms. Rodriguez works in the Office of Public Engagement – the department that Obama created to be his personal PR department disguised as
    his commitment to transparency in government.

Why didnt Obama give her a real job like maybe one
    that involved using her own judgment instead of
    parroting his official line?

• 7 Reyfeo // Nov 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Seriously? This is way too funny…Are you all the same people who at the beginning of his term couldn’t find a flaw in the man…hopefully you’ve learned your lessons.

• 8 irma // Nov 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Reyfeo,

I didnt vote for Obama. I am sorry that I was right about him. The best we can hope for is either that he turns a new leaf (unlikely) or that the Republicans elect someone who isnt worse.

An Obama fundraiser for the Hispanic Community in the home of Spaniard Antonio
    Banderas. Gee, one would think that the President of the United States would realize that
    Spanish speaking people which include some Latinos are not the same as Spaniards ……

• 9 Tito Aguire // Sep 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

I loved what Governor Susana Martinez said the other day at the GOP convention. She had a revelation that she was a “REPUBLICAN”!! Aye Dios mio! My Grandmother was one who voted Democrat for years, I tried to convince her that the Dems just pander to Mexicans but their values are completely contrary. The nuclear family, pro-life, hard work, personal responsibility, anti-gay, pro-church, support for Israel…. AND LEGAL IMMIGRATION: basically everything that Democrats are against. Blacks have forgotten that the KKK was established to kill Republicans before they went after the Blacks because they fought for them to get the vote!. Republicans have been fighting for a color blind society since Lincoln. There were 2 black Republican Senators and 5 Congressmen all elected before
    1900! Ask any random black person if they even knew that! Of course the Dems say, “well that was way back when…. the Republicans changed after the civil war”. Is that why Martin Luther King was a Republican?! Gee, wasn’t it a Republican president who sent National Guard into Arkansas to defend black students barred by Democrats to enter schools by a Democrat?
    The Democrats are first and foremost – liars who have re-written history and look down on minorities. It is BECAUSE we want a color blind society that we don’t believe in pandering to ethnic groups (as well as gays). Ask most Mexicans and they say Cesar Chavez advocated for illegal immigration. They couldn’t be more wrong. He insisted that farm workers from Mexico be legal to work. Not complicated; illegals work under the table, take union jobs from citizens or legal migrants and drive wages down as well as setting artificial prices for products and services. When I moved to Tucson a few years back, I visited the city center for the first time and was amazed that the Gringos had erected a statue of Pancho Villa thinking the Mexicans would appreciate having the folk heroes statue honored. The Gringos were stupid for accepting the insult from Mexico, they were ignorant for assuming Mexican Americans would appreciate it, ( Villa was a murderer of Americans AND Mexicans; white and brown! ) But I guess the Mexicanos here turned out to ge ignorant and too stupid to be insulted. What many Mexicans don’t get is that yes, many Mexicanos “worshipped” criminals and “Bandito’s” but it was more out of fear than hero worship! (still do..) Mexican Americans should know better! Democrats want to keep you on welfare and in the fields or folding the sheets at the hotels. They don’t see you as equals. And you should ask yourself why most Cubanos vote Republican? Are they mentally different from Mexicanos? hmmm…. It’s just sad. And don’t even get me started about the Native Americans! Who by the way, were the residents of this Area despite what these “AzTlan” Mexican Americans say. Mexicans who came this far north into what is now Arizona generally lost their scalps. The Chiracaujua hated Mexicans alot more than they hated whites!! Unfortunately, most of this
    history has been hidden so effectively by the left that even the educators themselves don’t realize that they are teaching lies (and ultimately hate!) They are teaching our students that if they are Mexicans, they are victims of the Gringo. It’s all just sad. I love my heritage enough to learn about it. I am proud and am not a victim nor were my parents and they don’t need handouts by arrogant self serving socialist Gringos! That’s not what we are supposed to be about! Entiendes??? And as far as Obama go’s? We don’t like Socialists hiding themselves within the Democrat party, no matter what color they happen to be!! When you hear terms like “social justice” and “fairness”, “equity”, and “access”, just assume your sitting with a Socialist. It doesn’t make ‘em bad; It just makes them wrong! Just like Mexicans who vote Democrat.