Continuing Commentary on Cecilia Muñoz

December 2nd, 2011 · 10 Comments

The commentary continues on White House Director of Intergovernmental Affairs Cecilia Muñoz this week with a writer at Fox News Latino asking if she’s being treated as a modern day Malinche? For those of you needing a refresher, Malinche, the lover of Hernan Cortes, is treated as both a heroine and traitor depending upon one’s reading of history. It’s an interesting question, but also one that would not be posed if the Director of Intergovernmental Affairs were an Anglo named Cynthia Main instead of Cecilia Muñoz.

My initial reaction to the piece was that there was a lack of analysis of what Muñoz has been saying. More specifically, Ms. Muñoz has been telling us that more than half of the people who have been removed are serious criminals when other data suggests that they aren’t. And then there’s the issue of Muñoz addressing DHS’s prioritization of removals when new evidence suggests that the application of deportation prioritization are inconsistently applied. So there’s a disconnect in the policy implementation where the folks on the ground are pursuing a different course of action from what the leadership (people like Muñoz) are publicly saying.

In the eyes of many immigration policy observers, the administration and Cecilia Muñoz, since she’s part of it, continue to have a credibility problem. As more people shed light on this issue of who is being deported and for what, look for more people to publicly question what has been going on with the Secure Communities program and deportations given the goals of DHS. The scrutiny may even ramp up if more US citizens are caught in the deportation dragnet.

Word is that the White House is considering Cecilia Muñoz to replace Melody Barnes as President Obama’s domestic policy chief. So ultimately, Muñoz will have to decide whether she wants to continue to be part of an administration that some feel is “worse than Bush” on immigration. Because of her previous advocacy in immigration, people will continue to focus on what she says when she’s tasked with discussing immigration on behalf of the President.

Tags: Barack Obama · Department of Homeland Security · Immigration

• 1 Anna // Dec 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Under Obama: Latinos become majority in federal prison

Immigration offenses makes Latinos majority in federal prison
    BY CINDY CARCAMO

For the first time, Latinos make up more than half of all federal felony offenders sentenced so far this fiscal year, according to a report released by the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

Immigration violations — including illegal crossings and other crimes such as human smuggling — account for most of the increase in the number of Latinos sentenced to prison over the last 10 years, according to the commission’s data.

• 2 webmaster // Dec 2, 2011 at 8:42 pm

There you go — the immigration violations are a major cause for the increase in the prison population. Given Congress’s goal in removing people, I suspect that these increasing numbers will not drop off in the near future.

• 3 Anna // Dec 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Re: “Given Congress’s goal in removing people…”

Congress’s goal? You mean Obama’s goal. And I thought crossing the border was a civil infraction. And aren’t illegal immigrants deported or put in detention centers, not federal prison. So why the increase in these numbers, and just for Latinos? He is just the worst.

Furthermore, he’s providing guns to drug dealers in Mexico who then slaughter the Mexican people ie Fast and Furious. Of course we’re supposed to ignore all of this.

Obama said to a group of reporters that all he needs to do to win the Latino vote is run the GOP debates on Spanish TV. Really? In other words, the little sheep will flock to the polls to reelect a mendacious empty suit like me out of fear. That’s all he has to offer–fear. And arrogance. It’s certainly not leadership or expertise.

And I will never forget how he disgraced himself by bowing to the King of Saudi Arabia. The President doesn’t bow to anybody!!!! Friggin idiot.

I have no trouble with either Huntsman or even Romney as president. I will not vote for Obama, and I’m going to vote in the GOP primary.

If he loses CA, he’s done, and he can’t win it without us. In 2008 he only won 52% of the white vote. I doubt he will win that much this time around, as his support among that group has collapsed across the country.

• 4 webmaster // Dec 3, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Well, as I understand it regarding infraction vs. felony, for someone who has been deported but then re-enters without papers that is considered a felony. Cecilia Muñoz explains that to Frontline:

But those people aren’t necessarily violent and one can assume that some of those are re-entering to see citizen children or other citizen relatives. That’s the inhumane part of the story — that families are being separated because of these current policies.

As for Congress’s goal and Obama’s goal, I think that it belongs to both of them. Congress appropriates the money and funds the DHS. And yes, Obama’s DHS, headed by Janet Napolitano pushes ahead with these aggressive tactics.

• 5 Anna // Dec 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

A common sense analysis of the “Hispanic vote.” Finally.
    *****************

“But it’s worth taking this argument seriously for a moment, because it reflects a common misconception about the Hispanic vote: Namely, that it contains a large bloc of voters that can be easily woo’d and won by any Republican who takes a liberal line on immigration, picks a Hispanic running mate, and engages in a little Spanish-language outreach.

In reality, Hispanics are a relatively normal swing constituency: They tilt Democratic overall and then tend to move toward one party or the other in much the same way that the country as a whole does, rather than swinging wildly left or right depending on whether the Republican candidate is willing to whisper the words “comprehensive immigration reform” at the correct frequency. For Hispanics as for most voters, pocketbook issues matter more than identity politics, and a candidate’s overall ideological profile matters more than his positioning on a single issue…

I haven’t been able to find a lot of polling on Hispanics and the G.O.P. primary field, but here’s one poll that bears this point out. It shows Gingrich with higher name recognition than Romney among Hispanic voters, but weaker approval ratings: Romney gets a 28/25 favorable/unfavorable split, while Gingrich is underwater at 32/36. This probably reflects the fact that even though Romney is to Gingrich’s right on immigration policy, he’s perceived as more centrist overall — and that broad perception matters more than the details of their respective positions on border security and E-Verify and paths to citizenship. There isn’t some clever double-secret “Hispanic path” to winning the White House, in other words. With Latinos as with whites, the more electable candidate is the more electable candidate, regardless of his stance on immigration.”

• 6 Luis Alvarado // Dec 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Wow….”Malinche” is so on target. One thing that people have not mentioned is that for months she was profesing on talk shows that President Obama had no executive powers to change Home Land Security Policy with Immigration process. Months!

Then, there was a protest by Latinos denouncing Obama’s policies in front of his Campaign HQ in Chicago. 3 days later a change of tune….They anounced executive order to change review of those being processed, and we know how distorted that turned out to be.

• 7 AztlanConnect // Dec 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

“but also one that would not be posed if the Director of Intergovernmental Affairs were an Anglo named Cynthia Main instead of Cecilia Muñoz.”

Let’s exercise our critical thinking skills here a little bit please..

“Cynthia Main” would not be a former director of one of the largest most prominent Chicano advocacy organizations in the US -NCLR.

Cecilla Munoz was.
    And because of this we hold her up to higher standards and expectations.
    Chicano criticism of her are both correct and called for.

And yes,in my opinion,I am one of those Chicanos who consider her to be worse than a “Malinche” for her sneering contempt for La Raza,for her all consuming Vendida selfishness.

• 8 Patricia // Dec 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

It seems to me that lots of people are at risk of republicans and the democrats so isn’t it time to start pressuring both sides of the establishment because they could CERTAINLY need the Latino vote to close the deal. Maybe we make a call that Latino communities start protests in all the major cities. We also should involve young, struggling youth, who understand working in the fields. “I do believe I’ll let someone else do that job.” I’ve done it and it was hard ass work. Not to put anyone down, I would gladly go back if I had to, but I don’t want to.

I’m not sure what exactly we’re rallying around, but I teach and this issue is very, very interesting to high schooler. They all, once presented with a the truth, all come to agree.

Here’s what developed. There is one major problem with immigration and that is the borders are not secure. Whatever the argument, we agree. Let’s secure the borders. BUT as an American I demand that the human tragedy created by American what? The farmers want us here. Close the borders. Go right ahead, BUT what do we do with the people, millions of people. Every American knows a really nice undocumented Mexican family and those families make the community better. I know I do. Every single day. And I work with people like that, who would rise up and march with me because Latinos touch every part of this society. And we are a damn good bunch! What ever anyone’s background, the majority are like me. I tried to do what I was told. Studied what I thought was interesting and got along. Success is measured in different ways and I can’t complain. It’s nice to see my beautiful rasa all around me. And, the little Dudes n Dudetts that I see are little brown boys and little brown girls screwing around, just like the little Asians and little blacks and little muslims and the little white kids. But, in the blink of an eye, if they want to go to college too many little brown boys and little girls have the door of opportunity slammed in their face. And at every turn, it’s the Latino community taking care of itself.

Why are we not marching around a minimum set of demands. And if we are. My bad.

If others want to coordinate on going protests in their communities I ‘ll get going in Seattle. I’m sure I can get a group committed to marching during rush hour from the Pike Place Market to the Federal Building. Maybe even to China Town. But I’d like to really rally around what the minimum the Latino Community, Fighting For All Immigrant Groups, is fighting for. I’d like the congress and President Obama to support Immigration reform that will allow for a new system or avenue for the children in schools now and for those in the future and if that means whole families receive a pathway to citizenship SO BE IT. If we as a country don’t deal with the issue then we as a nation will be responsible for what our F upped laws have created. Millions and millions and millions of people living in fear. For what? Because my ass wouldn’t leave to come to America because … Poor on one side and the Land of Opportunity, Land of Milk and Honey on the Other. I love my country and it would take desperate circumstances to make me leave. I know my parents missed their families, their community, and really fondly remembered their lives in Mexico and they came here for me.

So. Let’s see what happens

• 9 Anna // Dec 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

Do you ever update this blog?

• 10 AztlanConnect // Dec 19, 2011 at 11:15 am

Don’t know about you Raza,but I’m down for casting Cecilla Munoz (no tiene pata pa’ andar) as the girl in Lady Gaga’s La Cucaracha eating from a box of Obama Roach O’s
    ….entire cast and production being of course the Obama Administration..